Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Old Windows don't work...

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Well, I planned to have my computer with 3 OSes: WinXP, Linux, and an old version of windows for games that won't work in XP because they're old.
First I tried 98. It installs normally and seems to work until it gets to the part where it loads the OS itself for the first time. About halfway through the loading, the hard drive (it's the same I had on my old computer) makes a sound and the machine freezes. It can load OK in safe mode, but no matter what I did it wouldn't load normally.
Then I tried ME, thinking that 98 had some incompatibility with my computer, and since ME is newer it would work. Well, there's exactly the same problem.

So, does anyone know what causes this, if and how I can solve it? And if there's no way to, how can I get these old games to run with no problems? XP's "compatibility mode" doesn't work, and it doesn't include DOS either.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whenever I've read similar posts on tech forums, the general opinion is that it's some sort of BIOS setting problem, or a problematic/incompatible/conflicting piece of hardware.
    The advice usally given is to double check your BIOS settings, using default or best compatibility settings. Or remove every unecessary component, leaving just a floppy, hard drive, and video card in the machine to begin with. Then install the OS. If it seems to be ok, then add another card, install it, and so on. Eventually you'll either install it all, or find the problematic component.
    If none of that works, then I haven't a clue. Try some of the more techinical forums out there on the Net.
  • Options
    what HD file system you got NTFS wont work
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    what HD file system you got NTFS wont work

Was going to say that, Windows 98 isn't compatible with the NTFS file system, only FAT32, so if you were really desperate to have it on, it would have to go on a FAT32 partition.

But then having read your post again, if it'll run in safe mode then it could be a driver problem when you boot in normal mode. Although like Wobble said, could be BIOS settings that are a problem, tried setting PNP OS to disabled, disabling BIOS virus scan, or just setting everything to default. Worth a go.
  • Options
    I dual-boot W98 and W2K on a P4 2800 MHz overclocked to 3150. I somehow don't think that there is a compatibility issue. If it was W95, then "yes" because W95 can only run on PCs that are clocked up to 2100 MHz. I've tried and tested this on my own machine and it gives an error message saying that a file was missing or corrupt on start-up which is ndis.dll. As soon as I underclocked it to 1400 MHz, W95 worked fine.
  • Options
    I'm using the same disk that I had before for 98 or ME, so of course it's just FAT32.
    One thing I forgot to mention (I tried it with 98 but not with ME): In safe mode, I tried installing the drivers for the motherboard and graphics card (which, according to the manual, should both work fine in 98). After doing that, it completed loading in normal mode.
    But just for once. The first time it loads normally, it configures all of the components and then asks to reboot. And then, the same problem once again.

As for incompatible hardware, I don't know what it could be. The floppy disk drive, DVR-R and the modem are the same with the old machine, the motherboard and graphics card are supposed to be compatible with 98 (as I said above) and the rest of the hardware is only one more DVD drive. There's also the new hard drive, but I disabled that before I began the installation.
  • Options
    Seeing that I probably won't ever get it to work, what other options do I have to make it possible to play old games? Are there any?
  • Options
    Windows XP has a option to change compatibility modes for different programs.

so you can set windows so that programs will think you're running under windows 95, 98, e.t.c
  • Options
    question: what games are you trying to play?
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    Windows XP has a option to change compatibility modes for different programs.

so you can set windows so that programs will think you're running under windows 95, 98, e.t.c
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    XP's "compatibility mode" doesn't work, and it doesn't include DOS either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    question: what games are you trying to play?
    Several, and I haven't tried all of them yet. For example, Monkey Island 2 has no sound, and Atlantis: The lost tales won't even run.
  • Options
    get an emulator or something.
    Or one of those virtual OS programmes.

Lastly whoeevr it was running windows 98 on the 2800 why oh why?
    .matt
  • Options
    I'm not too sure about that XP compatibility-mode. I tried running a program that was 9x-only (not NT or 2k) and it didn't work on XP either.
  • Options
    Maybe acquire a version of Microsoft's Virtual PC?

Its good for running a system inside your current system, but performance can be reduced.
  • Options
    I heard that Windows 9x won't work unless the drive they're on is Primary Master, is that true? I have it as secondary, as they told me that even if they're not in the same IDE, a slower drive can still keep the other ones' speed down if it's PM...
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    this could help

http://www.scummbar.com/resources/articles/index.php?newssniffer=readarticle&article=22
    Thanks, that could solve at least one problem (and maybe more).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I heard that Windows 9x won't work unless the drive they're on is Primary Master, is that true?
    Not so. I've had my computer, and will have again at some time in the future, my computer booting Win ME from the secondary master drive. That was when I was running Win2K on my primary master, then using the second hard drive, with WinME, for games.
    My BIOS allows me to choose which drive to boot from by default. But I used to hit the F8 key during booting (before it started loading the OS, and a menu comes up asking me which drive I'd like to boot from, and therefore allowing me to choose which I'd like to boot from. Neat! :) Not all motherboards have that feature.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Not so. I've had my computer, and will have again at some time in the future, my computer booting Win ME from the secondary master drive. That was when I was running Win2K on my primary master, then using the second hard drive, with WinME, for games.
    My BIOS allows me to choose which drive to boot from by default. But I used to hit the F8 key during booting (before it started loading the OS, and a menu comes up asking me which drive I'd like to boot from, and therefore allowing me to choose which I'd like to boot from. Neat! :) Not all motherboards have that feature.
    you have WinME? You need shooting lol
    .matt