Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sniffer dogs and uni...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm living in halls on my uni campus and at the beginning of the year we were given a talk about living their (which i did not attend so this is from word of mouth) and apparently they sometimes send sniffer dogs round the halls.

Does anyone know how true this is? I only smoke weed now but theirs usually a bit in my room, as their probably is in at least 100 rooms out of the 700 and something on campus.
I mean, if they found everyone that had it that would be alot of people to be chucking out of uni!
Do they maybe only sniff for harder drugs?

Any help on how worried i should be would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well if they do bring in sniffer dogs, I'm 99% sure they will be able to detect weed.
    They might've just told you they will bring in dogs as a threat though. Apparently (though I have never tried it) hiding it in a jar of peanut butter, in a bag of course, prevents the dogs from smelling it.
    Don't know of any other methods of deterring dogs apart from a swift kick to the face. (Joking).
    dunno about your uni, but i ahd exactly the same talk when i was in halls in nottingham in my first year. and it was all a load of bull to try and scare people.

sniffer dogs are trained to sniff for many different things, of which weed is not really surpringly, one of the easiest to train for!

personally i wouldn't worry to be honest. if you are, ask one of the 2nd or 3rd year years on your courses about it.
    Were you at nottingham or nottingham trent uni? Because i'm at nottingham trent...
    i'm at nottingham uni, believe me, if nottingham didn't care about it then trent are gonna care even less.

even when my campus had a huge coke problem, all they did was install barriers at the agtes to stop any random people driving in.

and i pity you if you're stuck out on clifton campus, less so than myself int he first year stuck out another 8-10 miles out of notts.

my friends at trent never had any porblems with drug searchs or whatever, might have changed since they were in ahlls but i sincerely doubt it.

just be careful and don't take the piss really!
    Thanks alot i feel much better now :)

I don't mind being on Clifton Campus at all, i really like the campus and cabs into town only cost about £1.50 each. I feel much safer here to, i've heard bad things about some of trents inner city accomodation.
    I was in selfcatered flats at Nottingham Uni, and the guys downstairs got busted for smoking weed...not by a sniffer dog though, just by one of the warden type people. All that happened was that the warden said "thats not a good idea, dont do it again." lol. So I wouldn't worry about it if i were you.
    Originally posted by princessamy
    Thanks alot i feel much better now :)

I don't mind being on Clifton Campus at all, i really like the campus and cabs into town only cost about £1.50 each. I feel much safer here to, i've heard bad things about some of trents inner city accomodation.

that's a point i hadn't thought about that. seeing as i've only lived over in dunkirk by nottingham uni campus which is fairly nice and tranquil :)

just seems a pain in the ass to me to be living out there but if you're enjoying it then all's well! my best mate's little sister seems to be enjoying herself out there too.

PinkFeatherBoa - didn't even get that, corridor i spent most of my time in constantly reeked of the stuff, good job the cleaners were cool, hoovering out the ashtrays and sticking bongs out the way for us, etc. :D
    Uni's know that if they kicked out all the cannabis users on campus they'd have only about 1/3rd of the students left.

That and they would put off 1000's of entrants the next year.

There is no way they would do it.

That and properly trained sniffer dogs are REALLY expencive and rarely used.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Uni's know that if they kicked out all the cannabis users on campus they'd have only about 1/3rd of the students left.

That and they would put off 1000's of entrants the next year.

There is no way they would do it.

That and properly trained sniffer dogs are REALLY expencive and rarely used.

Trent uni is VERY popular. Hundreds of would be students are turned away, and it's very rare for those that do get in to get access to a halls of residence.

I don't believe it would be any bother at all for the uni to "invite" the police for a tour around the campus, and by expelling the ones who use drugs they'd free up space for other students.

Maybe it doesn't happen often, but all unis reserve the right to kick people out of the halls for breaking the rules/law same way that landlords kick out unruly tenants.

(i used to goto Trent btw)
    It really doesnt matter how many students are queing up.

Do you really think expelling a few hundred students after dawn raids on halls is really going to help?

It would be a HUGE newspaper story and they'd get massive press for it.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    If the uni posts up rules saying drugs use is unacceptable on school property (ie in the halls) then it's like the law on the street.
    People choose wether or not to break that rule surely.

It's a common rule for most rented accomodation.
    yes but it would generate massive abd publicity for the uni which wouldn't really go too well with getting funding or looking for more sponsorship money really.
    here everywhere you go on campus you can smell it, no way they would actually throw people out cos half the academic minds indulge, of course they have to have official policy cos you cant be seen to condone drug use, but i wave to my security guard out the window whilst having a spliff, its all good.......im more worried about the damn tv license officer who keeps coming round lol
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    yes but it would generate massive abd publicity for the uni which wouldn't really go too well with getting funding or looking for more sponsorship money really.

In what way?

"University expels drug abusers"

or

"University allows massive drugs use on campus property".

Which one do you think is more of a negative image?

You have to remember as well that a lot of teenagers are influenced by their parents when choosing a uni. How many parents will want their kid going to a uni where drugs use common?
    Yes, parents aren't idiots and know it will go on but would they send their kids to a uni which has had a newspaper article with the headline

"Police uncover massive drugs operation in halls of residence" or similar? Because that would be exactly the headline that appears in the papers.

Didn't think so.
    It's probably an urban legend, what would be the point in busting half of the student population for doing weed. They would be effectivly destroying the academic part of the country, no point in that really. Especially when they should be going after the harder nastyier drugs....

Bopz
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    In what way?

"University expels drug abusers"

or

"University allows massive drugs use on campus property".

Which one do you think is more of a negative image?

You have to remember as well that a lot of teenagers are influenced by their parents when choosing a uni. How many parents will want their kid going to a uni where drugs use common?
    Yes, parents aren't idiots and know it will go on but would they send their kids to a uni which has had a newspaper article with the headline

"Police uncover massive drugs operation in halls of residence" or similar? Because that would be exactly the headline that appears in the papers.

Didn't think so.

parnts might know it goes on but choose to ignore it. if foudn out then there would eb questions asked about why nothing had been done til now.

wouldn't be "university expels drug absuers" would be mroe like "university shamed by rampant drugs culture on campus"

out of sight, out fo mind is the better option really.

the fact tht drugs are used on uniis no big secret to the media, it's not newsworthy, wouldn't get a second mention, a drugs bsut ont he other hand would generate amssive publicity, all of ti negeatove and detrimental.

all the parents you mention would not let their children anywhere near a uni where there ahd been a big drugs bust/scandal, whereas all the uni's which quietly let things go on in the background, not doing any harm, would still eb untainted in the view of the media and aprents.
    But also WhoWhere, it wouldnt be like you would bust a huge drug network.

You'd find a bunch of mainly middle class kids, mostly white, probably doing fairly well in their studies, just selling bits of this and that to their mates.

Theres no way any dealer could push lots of coke or really anything nasty to uni students, they dont have the money. It would be pills, weed and hash mainly.

Just like when Lia Betts died, the parents wanted the 'Evil Drug Pushers' locked up. But she was just supplied by her friends.

Most low end drug dealing in anything but coke and heroin is normally done by people buying a bit more than they need and shifting to people they know.
    That and the academic crowd who run uni's are more likely to be left leaning liberals than anything else so their views are going to be somewhat easy on this.
    It would be pills, weed and hash mainly

a freind of mine got through her first year (monetarily) by dealing those.

theres fuck all drug use up here (Birmingham) as far as i have seen though, only met one guy who tokes (which is a refreshing change :p)
    Indeed, I used to know a couple of blokes who bought a couple of hundred beans every now and then and it paid for them to go raving quite often.

Both of them have stopped now, partly because there's no money in pills anymore unless you want to shift blocks of 10,000 but also because their mates are doing them less and less.
    Thanks for all the responses :)
    Really do feel much more relaxed now, I guess it's normal for uni's to tell us something to try to discourage us, but i'm sure they're well aware it won't.

It's uni that's got me back to smoking weed, hadn't done it in along time but now at uni i mostly prefer to stay in and chill rather than go out and so i've started smoking weed again all the time while i do this.
    It's cheaper, and i feel much better the next day than after a night out!
    This seriously takes the piss.

You all at Uni and have never been searched.

Im at HIGH SCHOOL and ive been searched twice and piss tested once.

The piss test was before an exam (i got caught with an 1/8th the week before), but your all taking DEGREES and dont get searched/tested?

That i SO unfair!
    Your in the UK and you have been drug tested at school, under what situation if you dont mind me asking?
    Well after they found some weed on me, a day later i got a letter 'asking' me to be tested (i told them it wasnt mine...so cliche).
    It was because i was about to take my first GCSE, if the test would have come back positive, or i refused to take the test they said they would ban me from taking them until the year after.

PS. My school has a so called 'serious drug problem', its not a regular accurance but it happens.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't you not allowed to drug test like that in schools in the UK?
    Erm, I'm really not sure of the guidance given to schools in these situations.

Frankly it sounds like a fairly suspect situation. But, depending on the schools policy they could have expelled you straight off for the cannabis found on you.
    Thats what i was thinking, if your found with an 1/8th i thought you'd have gotten expelled.

There was someone in our school who was very nearly caught smoking it, they were in the toilets taking waterfalls and left the bottle lying in there, he was suspended for talking about taking drugs and different things, i'm not totally sure about it but the school knew rightly that he was taking drugs but just couldn't totally prove it.
    They arnt allowed to drug test IN school, but they can 'ask' me to take one.
    It was because i said it wasnt mine, didnt know how it there etc etc. So they cant expel me for something they dont know for definate. I mean, it was a pretty remote chance that i wouldent notice someone chucking an 1/8th in my pocket, but if they cant prove it...

Drugs in our school is an everyday sight for people, im pretty sure there just plain sick and tired of it.

Besides, its all in the past now, im quite glad to say that im totally clean.

Oh, and i never really said hi, i only joined a few days ago, so hi to everyone out there!
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Thats what i was thinking, if your found with an 1/8th i thought you'd have gotten expelled.

There was someone in our school who was very nearly caught smoking it, they were in the toilets taking waterfalls and left the bottle lying in there, he was suspended for talking about taking drugs and different things, i'm not totally sure about it but the school knew rightly that he was taking drugs but just couldn't totally prove it.

They suspended someone for TALKING about drugs?! That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard :eek:
    I think it's bad enough that they'll deprive kids of an education simply for smoking a bit of weed, what's going to have a worse effect on their life, smoking weed while studying at school or no school at all.... :rolleyes: