Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

For people who know about cars.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is a torque (sp?) converter and what happens when it fucks up.

Comments

• Options
    It's a part of your automatic gearbox (transmission). I'm no auto expert, but if I'm right it behaves something along the lines of the clutch in a manual box, sort of engaging the gears smoothly until all the power of the engine is being passed through the gearbox (transmission) to the axle/wheels.
    When it fucks up? Not that sure as auto boxes aren't that common over here and I don't have any experience of them, or having them going wrong. I'd imagine it wouldn't change gear (probably not allowing you to get into top gear), or won't transmit all the power, so the engine seems to rev up a lot while you are going very slowly. Got to admit I'm guessing there a bit.
    I assume you've got a problem with your car, and the garage has said it's your torque converter?
  • Options
    oh my god thats so it! for about a year, whenever I go from stopped to going, or real slowed down to going it makes this loud grumbling grinding noise underneath. it doesn't pick up hardly at all. It also never picks up at all in general pretty much. My car's been in the shop pretty much once a month for such a long time but thats never been fixed... fuck I don't even know if its ever been looked at. I've never brought it in for that but recently its been getting worse so I've asked some people I knew to take a guess, but finally last night somebody drove my car and he's like, dude, your torque converter... (after I heard the name of what he thought was wrong he got all technical and i just zoned him out). So now I have an idea of what could possibly be wrong. So I was just asking here cuz maybe somebody would know something. Which is quite stupid in the first place though cuz... well I can't explain it but it was. Anyways, I'm typing this all out and will submit it, but it's more like a conversation in my head by this point than anything else.
  • Options
    Hang on, this might be a bit techy, but it tries to explain it in laymans terms.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

I love HowStuffWorks. Could spend hours on there browsing. :)