Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Eating after drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since I stopped taking pills, coke and amphetamine I have found it very hard to get back onto a normal eating pattern.
When I was on them I had no appetite and would go a few days without eating. This has made me stupidly skinny (I always was thin, but now there is literally no flesh on my bones).
Now I have stopped using them I find I still can't even manage one meal a day. I won't feel like eating till around 6pm, and even then I can only manage half a meal. It's not like I don't want to eat, I just feel sick and full up after a half a meal. Can I continue eating this much a day? If not, has anyone been in a similar situation and know of any ways I can start eating more without having to go to a doctor and sort out a diet plan?
The only times I eat loads are when I've had a bit of puff and get the munchies. Would it be healthy to smoke more and eat when I get the (very strong) urge to from draw?
All help appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm gonna guess the reason you feel so full and sick even after only half a meal is because that's what your body has become used to.

your stomach's kinda shrunk from not eating properly for so long.
    I would sugest eating little and often, maybe smoking a bit off puff every now and again so you can eat more but i wouldnt do it every time you want to eat.
    If you haven't eaten normally for ages, drugs or not, it is very hard to get back into the pattern, you have to go slowly i think, your stomach can't take an overload suddenly.

Maybe you should use the urge from draw, so you body gets used to normal eating again.
    Exactly what the others have said really, your stomach shrinks if you dont eat properly, which is why you're feeling full really quickly.

You do need to eat properly, small portions often through the day.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hi Sandbox, you are right to be concerned about not eating, you really do need to eat more than one meal a day to stay healthy. It isn't just about trying to put on weight, you won't be getting enough nutrients to keep you body and brain functioning as they should be, so its about eating the right foods too.

I will have a look after lunch for some organisations that may be able to give you some tips on how to eat properly again, but I think eating small regular meals, including fruit and veg, is a good suggestion.

It may seem a bit drastic, but you could try the Eating Disorders Association for advice and ideas - it sounds like you do have an eating disorder, so if you don't want to see a GP, then I would suggest you try them.
    Re: Eating after drugs
    Originally posted by SandboxMagician
    Since I stopped taking pills, coke and amphetamine I have found it very hard to get back onto a normal eating pattern.
    When I was on them I had no appetite and would go a few days without eating. This has made me stupidly skinny (I always was thin, but now there is literally no flesh on my bones).
    Now I have stopped using them I find I still can't even manage one meal a day. I won't feel like eating till around 6pm, and even then I can only manage half a meal. It's not like I don't want to eat, I just feel sick and full up after a half a meal. Can I continue eating this much a day? If not, has anyone been in a similar situation and know of any ways I can start eating more without having to go to a doctor and sort out a diet plan?
    The only times I eat loads are when I've had a bit of puff and get the munchies. Would it be healthy to smoke more and eat when I get the (very strong) urge to from draw?
    All help appreciated. Cheers.

my appetite's been fucked up a bit through smoking too much dope, used to take bongs throughout the day every day, now i smoke less each day the stomach doesn't seem to want to accommodate much. Maybe you're also anxious/paranoid through drugs as well, i've had that curb my appetite.
    if you can't normaly ...nibble regular ...all day.
    low salt high protien.
    and here i go again ...ten mil of virgin olive oil every day ...plus at least one spoonful of honey ...despite how awful the taste of honey becomes.
    The smell and taste of honey makes me wretch. I reckon I could force a tablespoon down if I tried though.
    Mate, just put a tea spoon in your cup of tea it won't taste half as bad. And yeah when iv been smoking a lot of gange i lose my appetite when not stoned. This always goes with time though. And I get a massive natural appetite.
    I never used to eat when on pills and phet.

You just don't eat on it or shortly after and you get used to not eating, and yes your stomach shrinks.

Eat as much as you can as often as you can, sometimes force yourself a little.

You should get back on track.

Make sure when you do eat it's good food, wholmeal bread, veg, fruit etc - your body will react better :)
    some things are easier to eat than others. How about a bowl of ready brek. easy to swallow.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    some things are easier to eat than others. How about a bowl of ready brek. easy to swallow.

:yes: and soup.
    Originally posted by Cheese
    Make sure when you do eat it's good food, wholmeal bread, veg, fruit etc - your body will react better

:yes: Lots of healthy options that shouldn't make your system feel overloaded. As long as you stay aware, gradually increasing what you eat would be the best IMO.
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast

Make sure when you do eat it's good food, wholmeal bread, veg, fruit etc - your body will react better :)
    nice idea but I for one could never eat bread or toast after speeding. :no: couldnt swallow it
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

and here i go again ...ten mil of virgin olive oil every day ...plus at least one spoonful of honey ...despite how awful the taste of honey becomes.
    how does that help?
    .matt
    my throat hurts on phet come downs, realls soar kind of pain, really annoying, nice drug with nasty comedown, when i get in from a night on pills, i tend to have a big munching session..
    Gentle exercise may help too...gradually it will increase your appetite, plus it has the added bonus that you might feel better in yourself with it, just dont go overboard with it; pace yourself.

Why dont you ask your GP what he recommends :confused: ?
    you'se all seem to know your stuff, when i wake up with a mad comedown i look at the fridge and think "fuck off food", it's more to do with mentallity than actual appetite, and most times you're mouth is so dry you can't even open it.
    your mental state has a complex interplay with how your body's needs are prioritised.

'Fuck off food' is a mental state that has physical consequences. Even if you have to put some stuff in a blender to help it down it would be good. I would say start taking a multivitamin as a supplement, but you have to take them in conjunction with a good diet.

Seriously mate, go and see your GP and get some properly informed advice. Look after jahself:p
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    Look after jahself:p

i'll be alright..... i hope, nah seriously, i can take care of myself alright, i usually do eat after a comedown but not till the evening after the night before or some time like that.
    Seriously mate, go and see your GP and get some properly informed advice. Look after jahself

oops that wasnt directed at you turlough, that part was meant for SandboxM :blush: