Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Halo For PC

Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
Ok, I get to 33% installed and i get a message saying "The file R:\FileCab\cab3.CAB was not found, please restart and try instalation again"

I have restarted and it has done nowt.

Help me :(

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Step a) wipe the disc, and check for scratches.

Step b) try again.

Step c) upon failing, take it back to the shop and change it, sounds like a scratched/defective CD. Games simply should not say this when they start up, nothing to do with how you're doing it.

Unless you have a dodgy cd drive, try another drive if you have more than one?
  • Options
    d) buy an xbox as it was intended for.

e) buy halo2 as well, on sale from midnight tonight. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    It was originally being made primarily for the PC, and the PC launch was going to be first before it was ported to the consoles. However, Microsoft wanted a killer game for their brand spanking new console, so bought the game studio and game and put had them turn all efforts on to releasing it on the Xbox first.
    ...That makes me feel a bit nerdy to know that much. :o
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Step c) upon failing, take it back to the shop and change it, sounds like a scratched/defective CD. Games simply should not say this when they start up, nothing to do with how you're doing it.

Well... I nicked it off a mate... so blah :p
  • Options

e) buy halo2 as well, on sale from midnight tonight. :D

err?

PC > XBOX ANYDAY
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    It was originally being made primarily for the PC, and the PC launch was going to be first before it was ported to the consoles. However, Microsoft wanted a killer game for their brand spanking new console, so bought the game studio and game and put had them turn all efforts on to releasing it on the Xbox first.
    ...That makes me feel a bit nerdy to know that much. :o

it would be nerdy if in fact it was correct...

it was NEVER to be released on the pc as they (bungie) were primarily an apple mac dev team.

microsoft saw the potential and signed a deal, essentially purhasing bungie whole and getting it all sorted for their new xbox console.

so 'ner' :p

edit: www.bungie.net for factoids.
  • Options
    But. either way. the X-BOX is just a PC in a weird case.
  • Options
    it would be nerdy if in fact it was correct...

it was NEVER to be released on the pc as they (bungie) were primarily an apple mac dev team.

microsoft saw the potential and signed a deal, essentially purhasing bungie whole and getting it all sorted for their new xbox console.

so 'ner' :p

edit: www.bungie.net for factoids.
    Never to be released on PC? :lol: Get out of here! Where would the sense in that be??? :confused: Can you imagine the meeting...
    "Shall we make Halo for the PC?"
    "No, NEVER. We'll make it just for the Mac. I'm sure we can make the $1-2 Million dollar investment in the Halo project back by just selling a few tens of thousand Mac copies of the game, we don't need the 500,000 to 1,000,000 potential sales from bringing out a PC version."

I don't think so! The PC version was in the pipline from the beginning. A quote from their own (Bungie's) site...
    In 2000, Microsoft, recognizing the brilliance of the Halo project, decided to acquire the game, the company and the employees, and bring Halo exclusively to Xbox – Microsoft's first video game console. The news sent ripples of excitement, anticipation and disappointment throughout the industry. This meant no PlayStation2 version for sure, and it put the PC and Mac Versions in doubt, at least as far as the press were concerned

and...
    As sales of Halo and the Xbox itself started to soar, Bungie, much to the relief of many, confirmed that Halo PC and Mac were still in the works, but it would be nearly two years before either version saw the light of day.

The PC gaming magazines had been talking about Halo for months, ever since its conception. Featured screenshots, and press releases, supplied by Bungie, and provisional release dates for the PC version. If I still had the various copies of PC Zone that had the previews in them, I'd scan them and post them.
    But this news story, dated 18th May 2000, From PC Zone's news archive will do...
    Thursday 18th May 2000
    HALO SHAPES UP FOR LAUNCH

It's looking almost as good as it was supposed to. Head in for our impressions of the E3 showing of Take Two's PC genre-buster, Halo

The lengthy presentation on the Bungie Stand sported some complex gameplay and highly impressive graphics, all in real-time. Play consists of aliens and humans hunting each other at the base of the enormous Halo Ring in multi-play, with plenty of vehicular combat on ground, sea and air mixed with on-foot fighting.
    Indoor and outdoor environments are all spectacularly realised, and the action in the video was reasonably constant. Probably the most impressive aspect to the entire showing was the vehicles - such as personal alien flying apparatus and heavy artillery - and the way they were effortlessly mixed with foot fighting.

The jeep from the initial movie shown at MacWorld in New York last year was shown, which has room for a driver, a gunner and a passenger. The multi-player possibilities if the game are awe-inspiring, a fact accentuated by a battle in the alien base. This was blinding stuff.

Halo is shaping up to be a milestone in PC and Mac development when released in March 2001. Unfortunately, no fresh screens were released at the show.

Games are developed on PC's and Macs for all platforms. I have to admit I wasn't aware of it originally being a simultaneous PC & Mac release, but that's all I'll concede. It was still intended as a PC release, as that's where they were going to make their bread and butter, until the Microsoft takeover.
    Now, who said what about "factiods"? :D
  • Options
    hate to drag this up again but halo pc was developed by gearbox... it's fully based on the mac version but at the time bungie were busy with the xbox version and handed the job over to them.

mac version: bungie
    xbox version: bungie
    pc version: gearbox (under bungie).

bungie never did make halo for pc. ;)