Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Would it bother you if your xmas pressie was off ebay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey I'm just wondering, I'm looking for some presents for my girlfriend (I don't have one particular thing in mind, so I'm thinking of getting her several little things) and I was looking on ebay at the clothes and they're so cheap! But if I did get her something from there I'd feel like a cheapskate, but all the same, a designer purple shirt is a designer purple shirt whether it cost me £2 or £20 surely?

I don't know :confused: but new clothes are so overrated I feel, nothing wrong with clean second hand ones is there? Does anyone have experience from buying clothes off ebay, and were they satisfactory or did they feel 'old' (strange question... but I don't want it to feel old and mingy).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! :)

Comments

• Options
    What are you complaining about? The price of something shouldn't matter. And in any case, if you can get something expensive on the cheap, why the hell not go for it? It's the thought that counts. Can your love for your girlfriend be measured in money?
  • Options
    it wouldn't bother me at all :)

i've bought loads of clothes from ebay, and they're all as described. a lot of the stuff is brand new with the tags still on.

the only thing to watch out for is sizing.
  • Options
    No it wouldnt bother me at all. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    it wouldn't bother me at all :)

i've bought loads of clothes from ebay, and they're all as described. a lot of the stuff is brand new with the tags still on.

the only thing to watch out for is sizing.

well I know what size my girlfriend is, are you saying that the sizes are mislabelled? My dad says be a bit careful because people can be funny about second hand clothes because it's personal (they might think eww someone's sweat on it, for example).

Thing is, I really don't know where to start with clothes shopping, so I'd probably fare a lot better buying off the internet anyway! And stargalaxy: I know it's the thought that counts but I don't want to get her something she doesn't like because it's been worn before :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Stargalaxy: I know it's the thought that counts but I don't want to get her something she doesn't like because it's been worn before.
    A fair point, which is why you should proceed with caution on this one.
  • Options
    well I know what size my girlfriend is, are you saying that the sizes are mislabelled?

she won't be the same size in all brands. if it's possible, your best bet is to somehow get her actual measurements, and check them against the measured sizes.

unless of course you're buying a specific brand, and you know her size in that brand.

ebay sellers can also be wildly optimistic with their sizing. don't trust any 'fits like a 8' statements. i've had 'fits like an 8' clothes that andre the giant could wear.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It wouldn't bother me either. If I was buying something then I would be a bit wary as it is not for me. I wouldn't want to give something to someone that was blatantly second hand.
  • Options
    I think I'll play it safe for now, I mean she probably wont mind anyway but best to be on the safe side. Means I get to go clothes shopping.. whoopedy doo :o
  • Options
    why don't you buy new stuff from ebay? it might not be as dirt cheap as the worn stuff, but it's still loads cheaper than in shops.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    why don't you buy new stuff from ebay? it might not be as dirt cheap as the worn stuff, but it's still loads cheaper than in shops.

can't find what I'm looking for :( how come there are so many size 18-20 clothes but no smaller sizes? I thought around 10 or something was normal, so would that make 18-20 extra large? I'm trying not to insult any women on the boards here! :o
  • Options
    can't find what I'm looking for :( how come there are so many size 18-20 clothes but no smaller sizes? I thought around 10 or something was normal, so would that make 18-20 extra large? I'm trying not to insult any women on the boards here! :o

what are you looking for? let me know what you're after, in what size, and i'll see what i can do :)

*ebay whore*
  • Options

Aparently 47% of women are a size 16 or over, so I'm guessing that makes about a size 14 the average size of women in this country then. I agree though, as a size 8 to 10, I sometimes find it really difficult to find clothes, when there seem to be loads in the size 16 to 18 categories...
  • Options
    I would love for someone to buy me something off ebay, because no one has ever bought me anything off there!
  • Options

There used to be a really busy plus size section on ebay, anything over a size 18 went in there...but Ebay decided to merge all the clothes sizes together so thats probably why there's so many larger sizes where you are looking!
  • Options
    if you want to buy your girlfriend a dawson's creek box set series 2 or a sylvia plath book then go on ebay and buy from me baby! i'm so poor and am selling pretty much everything i can...will sell my soul soon!

any takers?! i'm guessing since im pretty morally corrupt, my soul will go for about a tenner? or a pack of marlboro lights....:D