Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

TFT Monitors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to spend about 300 notes, maybe a lil more.

things required:

must be 17 inch or above.
must have a better than average response time.

i've been recommended the iiyama prolite e431s

but fuck knows.

anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    can't go wrong with iiyama...
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    can't go wrong with iiyama...

i agree
  • Options
    I have an LG L1710B flatron, which is 17inch visible, has both analog and digital inputs, and is quite lovely. It was also a bargain, but I'm not sure if they make them still.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    I have an LG L1710B flatron, which is 17inch visible, has both analog and digital inputs, and is quite lovely. It was also a bargain, but I'm not sure if they make them still.

they have stopped this model, but the newer version is out now (slightly different casing i think).

I got the same model as you, its a great monitor.
  • Options
    ended up buying this monitor:

E431S-Bb.jpg

looks the shit :o)
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    ended up buying this monitor:

E431S-Bb.jpg

looks the shit :o)

Duuuuuuude ! it is the shit :D

damn those things are something else to look at!

I want one :(
  • Options
    looks plastic and cheap :p

adds-1010.jpg

yum
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    looks plastic and cheap :p

adds-1010.jpg

yum

funnily. that's not unlike the temporary monitor im using at the moment. mmm 10 year old analogue IBM goodness :mad:

nyargh.jpg
  • Options
    Nice monitor. One thing I've noticed though is that I expected TFTs to be light. ohhh no, they weigh somehow more than the old big ones. grr.
  • Options
    hmm, ive only really carried 14 inch tft's , im sure it's easier to carry a 17 inch tft around than a 17 inch crt though ;).

*excited*
  • Options
    im really quite worried about dead pixels. if there's a single dead pixel im going to be pretty damn pissed :\.
  • Options
    I can assure you that a TFT will be lighter than the CRT counterpart. I have the Viewsonic 19" silver one which weighs about 8 kilos. A 19" CRT will weight a good 25kg.

Dead pixel policy - Viewsonic will let you have two dead before you can return it. Most other manufacturers will require you to have 3-5 before it is considered for a swap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat

Dead pixel policy - Viewsonic will let you have two dead before you can return it. Most other manufacturers will require you to have 3-5 before it is considered for a swap.

Where i used to work, the manufacturers wouldnt take it back unless it was 10 pixels..... What idiots they are :rolleyes: . . . if its missing a pixel its faulty end of
  • Options
    if it's got a dead pixel i'll probably carefuly dismantle it and break something inside and then rma it. :op.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    Where i used to work, the manufacturers wouldnt take it back unless it was 10 pixels..... What idiots they are :rolleyes: . . . if its missing a pixel its faulty end of
    i thought it was allowed 3% dead picels mayeb i read it wrong must have been 3 i read lol.
    Still i like the advantage TFTs have i.e. size wise but i prefer normal monitors. (he says writing this ona 15" TFT lol)
    .matt
  • Options
    why do you prefer normal monitors? they're big, heavy, use up shitload mroe electricty, harsher on the eyes due to way they work.

only advantage really is price and also colour quality needed for graphics professionals and even then tft's are getting to right standard for that.
  • Options
    CRT's are better for games and movies e.t.c.

TFT's are better for desktop work and graphics manipulation.

I prefer my CRT, crisper picture than most flatscreens for the same price.

Plus, they're harder to nick. Flatscreens and plasma screens are very "collectable" by Billy Burglar.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    why do you prefer normal monitors? they're big, heavy, use up shitload mroe electricty, harsher on the eyes due to way they work.

only advantage really is price and also colour quality needed for graphics professionals and even then tft's are getting to right standard for that.
    what he ^ said i watch a lot of movies and would only really find it useful for programming work as liek you said its less strainging on the eyes but isnt the refresh rate and that not as good as proper monitors too.

When i have played games on TFT's you can definatly notice the difference
    .matt