Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Christmas mock exam preparations??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello Guys,

Me again!

Are any of u on here who are studying at GCSE or A'Level getting the jitters about your mock exams? I'd like you to share with me how you are going to prepare yourselves, what are your secret revision techniques? Do you think it's a good idea to have mocks before Christmas and how do you think you'll fair? Have you got any advice to share with otheres? Do you think mocks even matter?

Come back to me. Same stupulations if you are at least 11 and no older than 19.

Want plenty of replies dude.

ps. If you're older well I guess you can still join in the banter but SKY stipulate I can only use ppl's stories who are in the 11-19 age bracket.

Mariam (Mazza:-)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't like the idea of mocks, the whole thing just seems so pointless. You work, you take the exam in test conditions, but wait! It was only a mock and you get to do it all over again in a few months! Wow, that was so good!
    You get the results back, Wow I got an "A" so what, means nothing. Wow I got a "U" well dosent matter not like it means anything. So at the end of the day youve revised for an exam that counts for nothing. All pointless to me :eek2:

Bopz
    I did two proper mock exams last year (my ASs). Don't think I'm doing any this year. We tend to have exam style assessment all through the year instead of one big block of two hour practice exams. And I prefer it that way.

Besides, I have eight real exams in January. Last thing I need is some silly pretend exams to worry over. :|
    They are annoying, but useful if you revise thoroughly, because when it comes to the real exam, you've already learnt most of the work. You only have to recap, so have more time to revise the work you've done in the time after mocks and before real exams.
    I have mocks in 10 days time :mad: To be honest I'm not going to bother about them too much - afterall they dont coiunt for anything - even though it is useful to see what kind of mark you may get. But apparently the mocks are marked so hard. My school loves putting pressure on us!! So the mocks are just nother way of telling us we shuld be working harder!

Another thing is that we havent covered the 2 years worth of work yet, and all my teachers are trying to teach us everything we need to know, so we are getting hours of homework, as well as coursework, which leaves no time for revision!

Oh well. But even though they are pointless, its quite good to hve a practise run.
    Looking back I found them really useful at GCSE as i found i'd revised so well for them in the mock when i was ill for some GCSE's I could rely on earlier revision.

However now im doing A2 and have external exams when I go back to school, yet we're still getting mocks which i'll do no work for because ive concentrated on the things that really count which then leaves you feeling really pants when you get a E in your mock when you should be getting A's or B's!! so they're very pointless.... quite concerned bout the actual exams tho, SO unprepared.... :(
    If you are getting the jitters for mock exams then you will suffer badly in the real thing.
    i never used to revise for mocks, i'd use them to show me where i needed to revise for the real things!
    I found mocks useful cod a) they showed me what i was quite good at so didnt need to revise *as* much and b) they showend me where i was weak.
    Originally posted by Renzo
    I found mocks useful cod a) they showed me what i was quite good at so didnt need to revise *as* much and b) they showend me where i was weak.

and c) they taught you that posting while drunk is rarely a good idea:p
    Originally posted by Kermit
    and c) they taught you that posting while drunk is rarely a good idea:p

:o

Me post drunk? Never
    Mine are in 3 weeks. I saw the point with Standard Grade because we had never done an exam before but after sitting about 16 single exams last year I think I'd be used to it :/
    I found mocks far more useful at GCSE than AS and A2 level. I always used to treat them as the real thing (or at least a portion of.) That would make me get my arse into gear and write all the notes I needed. When I got it back, I'd see where I needed to concentrate my serious revision on. I remember being so annoyed at GCSE at Christmas mocks... when everyone else was celebrating us lot would be revising. Or that was the idea, anyway :p

Advice-wise, it's the usual. It's not the end of the world if you do badly, try to do your best, revise in bits and pieces. It is a practice run for the real thing so they can be really useful if you use them properly.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Tashmania

;o
    I survived my mocks last november!!! I'm just getting my results back now. Some good results - some not so good ones! Oh well. I do feel a bit more prepared now which is good. I know what hard work I have to ocme!