Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GHB and relative risk (FAO Bong)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
bong; i have heard you state in quite a few posts that GHB is one of the safest drugs one can consume with regard to the dangers posed by other substances.

Could you possibly elaborate on this (i've been meaning to ask you this for a while but have never gotten round to it).

I read a piece in the paper the other day which stated that GBL has replaced GHB as a legal alternative. The article (in the Independant) also stated that GBL was a stronger and more dangerous form of dissociative. Any thoughts?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm, yes that article, I read that too.

As for GHB, the breaking down of the drug in the body is easy and there are no toxic by products.

Well GHB isnt a dissasociative for a start, its an anthesthetic, plain and simple. A quite good one too because of its very slight effect on the CNS.

The problem being its not a pain killer, so drugs like fentanyl are used more often because thats got pain killing properties too.

Because of its slight effect on the CNS you can OD and fall asleep, but the chances are that you will wake up, unless you go out of your way to take LOADS more than usual.

It does however have a steep dosage curve and that does catch people out. This is mainly to do with lack of education and the variable quality of 'street' supplies.

As for GBL, it is indeed more toxic.

I'll finish this later.
  • Options
    GBL hasnt taken the place of GHB, the later really wasnt ever the huge drug menace that it was made out to be and most people who have used GHB havent even heard of GBL.

Yes, GHB was of concern in certain clubs and areas for a while, but that was mainly because the club owners had no idea what to do.

If they had banned people bringing in any liquid into the club then it would have virtually solved the problem over night.

This is certainly true of GBL which only ever comes in liquid form.

GBL does turn into GHB in the body, but this process is obviously more complex than just taking GHB itself. It is known for having a rougher, more drunk like feeling to it. It is also longer lasting.

GBL is stronger, or at least can be more concentrated, 1ml of pure GBL is about approximately 1.65g of GHB. Though that comparison doesnt really work because of the change in the body. Its more a rough ratio.

The only real concern for GHB users is normally the salt load, in that GHB virtually always comes as a salt, its got sodium/potassium attached to make it stable. This of course has health concerns. But unless the user is consuming lots over an extended period its not all that troublesome.

There is also the somewhat un-researched effects of high end GHB use and the dopamine receptor. High doses of GHB suppress the dopamine reaction and this could have long term health risks. Though this is only of concern to daily high users.

GHB is present in virtually all muscle fibers so the law is a bit of a joke. Butchers are technically supplying a controled drug with each sale.

I think that covers most of it, any questions?
  • Options
    Oh and Martin, if you read down this far, empty your PM box, I've tried twice over the last couple of days.
  • Options
    Oh and Martin, if you read down this far, empty your PM box, I've tried twice over the last couple of days.

done :p

are there any mental health concerns associated with GHB?
  • Options
    Of course there is, any drug which can be abused has the potential for harm in that way.

Its a sedative, much like alcohol some users 'drown' their sorrows in it. It does have a self re-enforcing use pattern IF the person uses heavily. The dopamine 'bounces' back and sometimes the user uses again.

This however is rare.
  • Options
    alcohol is know to produce euphoria, is this present in GHB use?
  • Options
    I wouldnt really class alcohol as a euphoriant, but in a similar way, yes GHB is pleasurable.

More of a GABA type experience like you get from benzo's but without the mental fogging or the heavy sedation.

Your inbox is full AGAIN and I just lost ANOTHER message.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    alcohol is know to produce euphoria, is this present in GHB use?

yes it is, although i've found that it's quite close to the limit to the limit to where you start to go under.
  • Options
    Your inbox is full AGAIN and I just lost ANOTHER message.

theres nothing in there! i'll c if i can sort it
  • Options
    how do you mean?
  • Options
    No, amphetamines or amphetamine based drugs (like MDMA) are stimulants, they increase the heart rate, breathing etc.

GHB is technically a depressive, in that if taken in high doses it decreases the heart rate, breathing etc. Much like alcohol.

However, unlike alcohol its effect on the heart rate isnt very strong, it will knock you out but wont really effect the central nervous system response. This makes it good as an anesthetic.

It does decrease the breathing rate, but it also makes the body breath deeper, so the amount of oxygen the body gets stays virtually stable.
  • Options
    So you wouldn't really get the urge on GHB to shout loudly and talk utter shite like on alcohol with all slured words. Or what's it like?
  • Options
    personally i think it's great, in the right doses it gives me tons of energy to dance, everything just seems better, euphoria, happier.

also seems to have the side effect in a lot of my mates of making them as horny s fuck though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    So you wouldn't really get the urge on GHB to shout loudly and talk utter shite like on alcohol with all slured words. Or what's it like?

Shouting? No, I've never come accross that, sluring your words, yes, you can sometimes in higher doses. And yes, you can talk rubbish, though its different to alcohol, you just tend to be a bit tactless and more honest.

And yes, it can be used as an aphrodisiac.
  • Options
    dunno, just seems like you get the good bits of being drunk with added euphoria :)

forgot about the whole more likely to be blunt and forward. hadn't noticed that til tidy wekeender when mate ended up telling me hsi whole life story after overdoing it a bit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Shouting? No, I've never come accross that, sluring your words, yes, you can sometimes in higher doses. And yes, you can talk rubbish, though its different to alcohol, you just tend to be a bit tactless and more honest.

And yes, it can be used as an aphrodisiac.
    [/QYUOTE]

Yea.

Sometimes when your drunk your emotions run high and you end up shouting. Don't tell me you've never fucked someone off whilst drunk.
  • Options
    he meant whilst on gb. as in both you get slurring but you don't get the shouting and angryness that can come with alcohol with gb normally.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Sometimes when your drunk your emotions run high and you end up shouting. Don't tell me you've never fucked someone off whilst drunk.

Nope, I dont think I've ever shouted at anyone while drunk.