Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Work Mistakes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the worse mistake you ever made at work?

.. I think for me I kinda almost (but not quite) forgot about £8 Million I had to move from one place to another!!

Comments

• Options
    Re: Work Mistakes
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

.. I think for me I kinda almost (but not quite) forgot about £8 Million I had to move from one place to another!!
    next time your moving that much ...pm me ...we can work something out.
  • Options
    My biggest mistake was miscounting the money someone gave me for a ring and undercharging him £20. I had to pay it myself:(

But my old lodger managed to loose £7mill out of someone account, its still not been found months later...
  • Options
    Well, I started work and was scanning something at £12.99. My wand wasn't working, and the £12.99 which should have scanned was nowhere to be found. So I typed in the barcode, to find out I'd used the wrong scanning wand at the other till.

My manager couldn't understand where all these £12.99 tshirts were coming from. :blush:

So we had to do a void for that sale, it came to like well over £300 :lol:

Funny to look back at now, at the time..when I was sweet 17 it was too mortifying. :nervous:
  • Options
    I microwaved a salad once. :yeees:

I tend to be ok with money. I seem to remember a girl I work with charging someone an obscene amount of money on their card by missing a decimal point when typing the amount in, though (like £1799 instead of £17.99). Not something you want to do, really. :/
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I ruined someones holiday by accidently the cancelling their car hire. But I sorted it out eventually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    I ruined someones holiday by accidently the cancelling their car hire. But I sorted it out eventually.

I once got a hire car where the stupid air thingy didn't work so the glass kept steaming up, I had to drive up the motorway with the window part opened to stop it steaming.. and it was also friggin raining!!!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I once got a hire car where the stupid air thingy didn't work so the glass kept steaming up, I had to drive up the motorway with the window part opened to stop it steaming.. and it was also friggin raining!!!
    What company?
  • Options
    Re: Work Mistakes
    I split about 2 teaspoons worth of sugar but it was really expensive research sugar so those couple of teaspoons of it were worth about £800 but luckily I controlled the stock books too so nobody important found out!!
  • Options
    my mate used to work at an old peoples home as a kitchen porter, once spilled sugar in the diabetic milk without realising and just stirred it in, some people got taken to hospital.

worst ive done, dont know, probably cash mistakes eek :eek2:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    I drove a Triplex mower over a green on the Golf Course while it was pissing out hydraulic oil. Caused about 3 grands worth of damage.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Let a TV crew in to the shop to film a segment of a fashion show. COmpletely let them go all around the shop, use our stock, use the company's name....

Thing is...I did not know it was against company policy to be featured on TV shows. My manager got in some hot shit with the head honchos in England. People in England got involved! That's how bad it was.

Stupid Topshop :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Work Mistakes
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    I split about 2 teaspoons worth of sugar but it was really expensive research sugar so those couple of teaspoons of it were worth about £800

£800 for two teaspoons of sugar?! :eek: whats research sugar?

I've dropped a big plateful of beef stew and potatoes on someones knee on accident. It was hot too but luckily it didn't burn em. I was mortified. I had to pay for the dry cleaning of the womans coat pffft.
  • Options
    Nothing, yet. Give it time though, I'm sure I will!

But then again, my boss rocks, so he wouldn't mind if I made a mistake :)
  • Options
    Wprst I ever done was whilst working in the Health centre. I covered up some medical notes with flu jab forms. Not really endangering anyone's lives but it would mean the doctor would be a bit confused as to where the medical notes had got to.
  • Options
    Well considering i work at Halfords and the most expensive thing our branch sells is only a couple of grand i haven't made any too major mistakes. some things like selling a 1.79 light bulb onto a card for 17.99, but they probably deserved it anyway because people who pay for the tiniest things on cards should be shot :|

Telling a bloke i'd do a really long, horrible and technical repair on his bike that should have cost him a lot of money and forgetting to charge him for it probably is one of the worst.

Oh and firey, PM me :p
  • Options
    Not many any, nearly dropped about 15 plates the other day though, really not good!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    but they probably deserved it anyway because people who pay for the tiniest things on cards should be shot :|

Hence why we only let people pay for stuff with a card if it's £5 or over :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    Hence why we only let people pay for stuff with a card if it's £5 or over :p

Aye, but with halfords attracting lots of old wankers after shit like wheel locks which DONT FIT THEIR FUCKING CARS ANYWAY they just buy the cheaper one even though i TELL THEM IT WON'T FUCKING FIT then come back and FUCKING COMPLAIN TO ANYONE WHO'LL FUCKING LISTEN all for the sake of 8 FUCKING QUID, we have to accept it for any amount because they like to buy 99p air freshners with them just to spite us. Seriously it winds me up so much.
  • Options
    Worst mistake I made at work (well it was at a conference so not really in the workplace but same thing) was getting drunk on the free wine and confessing to the Head of HR (married with kids) that I had a crush on him. OOOOPS!!!
  • Options
    Aye, but with halfords attracting lots of old wankers after shit like wheel locks which DONT FIT THEIR FUCKING CARS ANYWAY they just buy the cheaper one even though i TELL THEM IT WON'T FUCKING FIT then come back and FUCKING COMPLAIN TO ANYONE WHO'LL FUCKING LISTEN all for the sake of 8 FUCKING QUID, we have to accept it for any amount because they like to buy 99p air freshners with them just to spite us. Seriously it winds me up so much.

Aaaaaaaaaand breeeeeeeeeeeeeeathe....
  • Options
    don't get me started on people who i forget to give 10p change to...
  • Options
    Argh...this is why I like credit cards (and thankfully the machine hasn't told me I need to ring any numbers yet *touch wood*)...you don't need to give change.

Especially when I run out of 1p's!
  • Options
    Fucked up the book order a couple of times, which pretty much meant that 1000 or so people had payed for/were playing bingo books that were totally invalid.

Also, I was on the till once and this lady came up to me ages after I served her, saying she gave me a £20 note when she only got change from a £5, so I just gave her £15 out of the till without even checking.

Also threw a bit of the tea machine out when I was cleaning it and the bin got taken out to the compound.

Result - me and my supervisor have to go raking for it in the bin bag, full of kitchen waste, mouldy old beans, basically stuff that's been on peoples plates that they didn't want.

I almost needed counselling after that little episode.
  • Options
    i poured a chocolate milkshake over a kid, nothing tooo major.

Talking about hating change n shit i hate old women who say ive got the 10p so you wait ages for them to find it just so you can give them a pound coin so you have to giv other people 10p's when you run out of quids :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    Talking about hating change n shit i hate old women who say ive got the 10p so you wait ages for them to find it just so you can give them a pound coin so you have to giv other people 10p's when you run out of quids :(

:yes:

However, I love the people that give me like 10p in 1's and 2's :D, and the ones that give me a tenner in pound coins and 50p's...they are my saviours!!
  • Options

hello strnager!
    thought they'd locked you in the tower ...you still enjoying life up there?
    hope lifes treating you good.
  • Options

Or how about when they think they should get discount on aformentioned 1.79 lightbulb just because they're OLD AND DECREPID? :mad:
  • Options
    Or how about when they think they should get discount on aformentioned 1.79 lightbulb just because they're OLD AND DECREPID? :mad:

Ah...mutual hatred of old people...how it brings people together :p
  • Options
    It's bad in the bingo, when they actually need pound coins to play the table bingo/bandits.

Even though there's constantly people coming round with pound coins anyway, they're just too lazy to stick their hands in the air and wait, they just think it's fucking funny to try and get it out of the catering till.

If I'm in a bad mood, I'll probably just give them 50ps instead out of sheer spite, then when they start whining about it, I just say "I'm sorry, I've closed my till now" with a huge smug grin on my face.

Oh how I love my job. It's like a constant battle between me and the customers :mad:
  • Options

Ok Duffy you reeeally need to calm down :p

Which Halfords are you working at, the one in Bolton? I hate that place, its so boring. I've been spending lots of time in Radcliffe recently, its lovely :D