Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

eer me again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.........heheheh problems again :lol:

Right my old PC is now in my Daughers room and I have a new one (have had it for about 4 months or sommat). Anyways for some reason the one in her room wont load. When I switch it on a box with loads of stuff comes up and its asking me what i want to start it up in IE safe mode and some other jargon which lost me. My old computer is one of those where I press a key and it does a total reinstall......the thing is i cant find the book which means I dont know what key to press to do the uninstall and reinstall (I dont need a disc it just does it for me)........so anyone tell me what key i need to press ? I think it might be F7.......help :D

oh im not blond neither, just having another blond day ;)

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    If, and ONLY if you have a Windows CD + Serial number(Key) should you (on start up) Hold F8, start in command prompt only and then type:

C:\>FORMAT C:

This will delete everything and will let you re-install windows, it would be a very good idea to back up all personal files before hand as it is imposible to reverse this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    If, and ONLY if you have a Windows CD + Serial number(Key) should you (on start up) Hold F8, start in command prompt only and then type:

C:\>FORMAT C:

This will delete everything and will let you re-install windows, it would be a very good idea to back up all personal files before hand as it is imposible to reverse this.

It doesnt need a disc, apparently its a little box hidden away or sommat ?
    I had to do it ages ago, but now cant find the book. So the key is still F8 ? what does F7 do ?
  • Options
    Cant quite remember, I shall find out for you shortly :)

ETA: Cant find anything, sorry :(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    It doesnt need a disc, apparently its a little box hidden away or sommat ?
    I might be ignorant, but I don't think that's possible; if windows was pre-installed, you shouldn't format the drive. But do check if there's a directory (usually like "winset") which contains the install files and copy them somewhere safe.

And there's no need to get the thread deleted; the mods can move them, remember? Unless you made another in computers (haven't checked).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I might be ignorant, but I don't think that's possible; if windows was pre-installed, you shouldn't format the drive. But do check if there's a directory (usually like "winset") which contains the install files and copy them somewhere safe.

And there's no need to get the thread deleted; the mods can move them, remember? Unless you made another in computers (haven't checked).

It is possible because I have done it. Its an IBM system if that helps. I was told when I first got it that its like a secret compartment kinda thing. I wouldnt have a clue on installing and copying files that you mentioned, I can switch this on and have just learned how to post photos lol...not that advanced yet hehehe
    I just cant remember what to do and I still cant find the book :(

i wanted it deleted cos I have made myslef look really stupid :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    Cant quite remember, I shall find out for you shortly :)

ETA: Cant find anything, sorry :(

Thanks for trying :)
  • Options
    yer a daft old bat beckyboo ...but thats why we all love you so much!
    is it an ibm aptiva pentium three?
    if so ...it comes with an installation disc that contains windows 98 within it ...but doesn't say that on the disc label.
    it should say something like aptiva install.
    go have a look behind the couch ...under all that fluff.
    if i remember right ...reddish coloured label.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    yer a daft old bat beckyboo ...but thats why we all love you so much!
    is it an ibm aptiva pentium three?
    if so ...it comes with an installation disc that contains windows 98 within it ...but doesn't say that on the disc label.
    it should say something like aptiva install.
    go have a look behind the couch ...under all that fluff.
    if i remember right ...reddish coloured label.

Deff no disc rolly, i know I press a certain key and it just does whatever it has to do.
    Its an IBM 300, well thats what it says on the tower anyhow and thats all I know :confused:
  • Options
    Deff no disc rolly, i know I press a certain key and it just does whatever it has to do.
    Its an IBM 300, well thats what it says on the tower anyhow and thats all I know :confused:
    if you have only moved it from one room to another ...why aint it working exactly ...what have you done?
    if it offers safe mode choose it and you can run repair and recovery progs from there.
    but if it's offering that then it should also be offering normal mode ...
  • Options
    if you have only moved it from one room to another ...why aint it working exactly ...what have you done?
    if it offers safe mode choose it and you can run repair and recovery progs from there.
    but if it's offering that then it should also be offering normal mode ...

its coming up with 4 options and i only know what safe mode is so I opt for that lol.
    When it was moved someone fitted a rewriter in it so that could be the problem....i dunno.

Will try to find the book again, its got to be here somewhere. When we moved rooms and done decorating thats how its been mislaid :mad:
  • Options
    its coming up with 4 options and i only know what safe mode is so I opt for that lol.
    When it was moved someone fitted a rewriter in it so that could be the problem....i dunno.

what are the other options?
    putting another cd drive in is straight forward or should be.
    if it's win 98 ...crash it ...see if files get restored.
    or ...do it the propper way and go to file checker ...
  • Options
    On mine it is f10 during boot to go for the reinstall process.
  • Options
    Did you try selecting safe mode? what happened? Safe mode shouldn't do any harm even if it doesn't do any good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Did you try selecting safe mode? what happened? Safe mode shouldn't do any harm even if it doesn't do any good.

Yes, it will load in safe mode. But I need the problem sorting cos if litle un wants to go on her pc then it would be a lot easier if she could just swich it on when she wants.

rolly I cant see what options are available tonight cos its in her room and she has just gone to bed. I aint got a clue about crashing it and file checker........id get lost in it lol

Mist F10 doesent ring a bell for me :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    On mine it is f10 during boot to go for the reinstall process.
    but she can't reinstall without a disc.
  • Options
    but she can't reinstall without a disc.

I dont need a disc Rolly...I press a key and it does the lot, but I dont know what key....im almost sure its not f10.

Ive tried the IBM site but dont really know what im looking for, I dont even know what its called when you can reinstall without the disc. All I know is they described it as a secret partition or sommat.
  • Options
    I dont need a disc Rolly...I press a key and it does the lot, but I dont know what key....im almost sure its not f10.

Ive tried the IBM site but dont really know what im looking for, I dont even know what its called when you can reinstall without the disc. All I know is they described it as a secret partition or sommat.
    turn it on and crash it.
    then switch back on again.
  • Options
    turn it on and crash it.
    then switch back on again.

How do I crash it :blush:

mind i cant do this till tomorrow anyhow. Sorry, im a lost cause arent I :lol:
  • Options
    How do I crash it :blush:

mind i cant do this till tomorrow anyhow. Sorry, im a lost cause arent I :lol:
    instead of shutting it down ...pull the plug out.
    then restart.
  • Options
    instead of shutting it down ...pull the plug out.
    then restart.

lol oh right :lol:

I bet your loving this aint ya....making me make myself look really silly :lol:
    Im gonna search this house from top to bottom tomorrow and I WILL find the user manual :mad:
  • Options
    strange, normally you would just shut down after a safe mode start and it would start to boot normally.

Can you copy down some of the technical jiggery pokery for us to see?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    strange, normally you would just shut down after a safe mode start and it would start to boot normally.

Can you copy down some of the technical jiggery pokery for us to see?

I will try tomorrow and take note as to what it says exactly then post it here.

Anyone know what its called when I want to reinstall without the disc ? then I can go to the IBM site again and try to sort sommat out there. I just would prefer to reinstall it rather than try to muck about with stuff that I aint got a clue about.
    Also whats that thing called where you take the pc back to the state it was before you had a problem........cos that might make things easier for me ?
  • Options
    if your on xp you can go back to a previous state very easily but ...old comp i'm pressuming is 98 so ...
    start in safe mode and see if you can see a life belt kind of icon anywhere ...this will take you back to a previous snapshot and all will be fine ...can't remember what it's called though ...look for a life belt thingy.
    or start in safe and go to progs ...see if the programme i'm talking about is there.
    but do try crashing it.
  • Options
    "I am running an IBM 300 GL computer that has a Lava PCI card in it. When I boot up I get a Parity error! Is there a BIOS setup setting that I can modify to get the system to boot normally?

This problem occurs on certain IBM machines. There is a BIOS setting that can ensure that the system boots up normally while the card is in the system.

In your BIOS setup go to: Advanced Setup | PCI control

And set PCI Parity Control to Disabled."

I believe that f1 resets to default settings. The new cd drive or whatever it was has probably caused the problem. You need to set up the cmos settings to make sure its all in order.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, My computer wouldnt start when i plugged in my new Hard drive, Still havent sorted it.

But as soon as you start your computer, keep hitting F2 to bring up a blue screen with text on, called the BIOS.

There should be an option to "Detect all drives automatically" or something to that effect, hit enter and it should clear up any problems with your CD drive.
  • Options
    beckyboo do not go into your bios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    please don't direct BB into the bios ...
    sorry BB but if you don't know what your doing now ...you may well fuck it completely going in there ...leave that one out.
  • Options
    Is it a Dell machine? Dell have a partition on the hard drive (which could be what you're describing as a "magic box") with an fresh install copy of the system on it. To get to it you press F10 when booting.
    If that does the trick, then you'll loose any settings, installed programs, files, folders, etc, that you may have created. Back them up before you do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Is it a Dell machine? Dell have a partition on the hard drive (which could be what you're describing as a "magic box") with an fresh install copy of the system on it. To get to it you press F10 when booting.
    If that does the trick, then you'll loose any settings, installed programs, files, folders, etc, that you may have created. Back them up before you do it.

I dont need to sve anything because its only my Daughtrs PC now and anything that needs to go on I have discs for. That does seem to ring a bell though F10.

Rolly Ive heard about bios and I wont even go there, i get lost just installing programmes let alone getting into the guts of it......Id rather leave the thing and let her use this one if it came to that.

Will let you know how i get on...thanks peeps :)
  • Options
    I think ive found what I need. It says F11 for product recovery programme....so im away to give it a go.

Fingers crossed it works....im shitting myslef here heheheh
  • Options
    No joy, did a total product recovery and when I start up it will still only go in safe mode.
    I think it needs an expert to have a look :(

I thought when you did the product recovery thing it should run ok but with nothing left on apart from bare essentials.
    Ah well....I tried :D