Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Choral Requiem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Caught the start of the Vernon Kaye program on radio 1 yesterday. Does anyone know the name of the classical peice that was used as his theme tune? Its a great gothic tune and I want it on tape.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    O fortuna?

Haven't heard it, but it probably is.
  • Options
    ^^That's what I was thinking... I didn't hear Vernon's choon, but Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (O Fortuna) is one of the most famous 'gothicy' pieces of music and was most likely to be what you're after. If not.. I'm clueless :)

Ilora x
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    or if it was a choral requiem it could have been Mozart's requiem because that is pretty gothicy i suppose. its quite often used (was used in xmen i believe)
  • Options
    Stop tarnishing good classical pieces by calling them gothy omg ;<
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

:yes:
    !!!!!!!!!

however... captain slog... have you heard "Lacrymosa" from mozart's requiem??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    :confused: Tarnishing? I'd say I was doing them a favour. Classical music shouldn't just be the preserve of old people who drive Jaguars.

In fact, you know all these "relaxing classics" CDs Classic FM does? I think they should do a "gothic/bombastic/lets invade Poland" CD with "Ride of the Valkyries", "Toccatta and Fugue", the 1812 overture etc.

I may have heard Mozarts requiem without being aware of it, but I don't know the tune.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    :confused: Tarnishing? I'd say I was doing them a favour.

Doing them a favour by pigeonholing it into the 'goth' catagory? :razz:
    In fact, you know all these "relaxing classics" CDs Classic FM does? I think they should do a "gothic/bombastic/lets invade Poland" CD with "Ride of the Valkyries", "Toccatta and Fugue", the 1812 overture etc.

There is one! My room's getting done up atm so all my CDs are boxed away, but I'll look it out and get the name for you if you like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Reese_86
    :yes:
    !!!!!!!!!

however... captain slog... have you heard "Lacrymosa" from mozart's requiem??

If anyone watched Spooks yesterday, it was the bit they were singing in that church.
  • Options
    Besides, how else do you describe a slightly scary tune with creepy organ, soaring choir or stampeding orchestra?

(Edited 'cos I posted at 11pm at night while half asleep and made a mess.)
  • Options
    :confused: Tarnishing? I'd say I was doing them a favour. Classical music shouldn't just be the preserve of old people who drive Jaguars.

\

he's not saying that classical should just be for old fogies that drive Jaguars.. and be "relaxing"
    he's just saying that you shouldn't categorize some pieces into "goth"
    i mean.. when you ask you should say... "a choral requiem that's written in a minor key" or something.. not "goth"
  • Options
    have you heard "Lacrymosa" from mozart's requiem??

The lacrymosa from Verdi's Requiem is better, IMHO.

Especially seen sung in Durham Cathedral :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The lacrymosa from Verdi's Requiem is better, IMHO.

Especially seen sung in Durham Cathedral :yes:

what's IMHO?

i haven't heard it, but i will keep my eyes open for it... and listen to it if i come across it...

and i can only imagine ANYTHING sung in a cathedral, the acoustics must be amazing....

:::JEALOUS!:::
  • Options
    I used to smoke Fortuna Lights in Spain.
  • Options
    The Faure Requiem is the best I think.

However the best thing is that they all have the same words so you can just sing along

x
  • Options
    Update: The tune I was thinking of is indeed Orff's O Fortuna. I just went out and bought a CD of Orff's Carmina Burana and there it was on track one. It was one of those Naxos classical CDs that aren't usually very good. This one fucking RULES! Thanks again.
  • Options
    what's IMHO?

In My Humble Opinion

i haven't heard it, but i will keep my eyes open for it... and listen to it if i come across it...

Verdi's requiem is the best requiem I've heard, even better than Mozart's

and i can only imagine ANYTHING sung in a cathedral, the acoustics must be amazing....

Especially this cathedral :yes:
  • Options
    Update: The tune I was thinking of is indeed Orff's O Fortuna. I just went out and bought a CD of Orff's stuff and there it was on track one. It was one of those Naxos classical CDs that aren't usually very good. This one fucking RULES! Thanks again.

You want to go shopping at HMV, mate, the classical collections at the big stores are brilliant, and very good value.
  • Options
    You want to go shopping at HMV, mate, the classical collections at the big stores are brilliant, and very good value.
    We don't have an HMV in Ayr and the Virgin shop we have doesn't have anything in the way of classical stuff. Its also bloody expensive. I got Marilyn Manson's greatest hits at ASDA for £9.77 when they were selling it in Virgin for £16.99. Getting to a proper big music store means going to Glasgow.
  • Options
    whenever i hear "ride of the valkyries", it makes me think of a squadron of helicopters buzzing about in vietnam :chin:
  • Options
    Especially this cathedral

That doesn't even LOOK like a proper cathedral!

Now that's a cathedral.

Btw, I prefer Verdi's requiem overall but I prefer Mozart's Lacrymosa. But I think we had this conversation already.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    And we established that you were wrong :p

Who's we?! :p Certainly not me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Who's we?! :p Certainly not me!

Yeah, but you're wrong.
  • Options
    i LOVE mozart's Lacrymosa...

and to kermit and miffy...

you can't compare cathedrals and say one is better than the other...

you just can't...
  • Options
    I got Marilyn Manson's greatest hits at ASDA for £9.77 when they were selling it in Virgin for £16.99. Getting to a proper big music store means going to Glasgow.

Try play.com. I use them all the time, and most often than not you can get CDs/DVDs/etc. at faaabulous prices in comparison to the shops. If it's classical music you're after, they've got quite an impressive collection (granted, they're mostly "Various Artist" CDs, but you're bound to find something you like amongst them).
  • Options
    Originally posted by sprocket
    whenever i hear "ride of the valkyries", it makes me think of a squadron of helicopters buzzing about in vietnam :chin:
    'tis an excellent tune. When I can afford to buy a Range Rover, it will be playing permanently on the stereo.
  • Options
    'tis an excellent tune.

It is. Such a shame that Wagner was such an odious anti-semite.

Verdi's lacrymosa is much better than Mozart's lacrimosa. Any fule kno that.
  • Options
    Well yours is still better than this monstrosity. (And I've probably said that before too!)

cath1.jpg

The old one is much nicer and more evocative, might be because it's just a shell and because of everything it symbolises. Shame you can see the new one from it!
  • Options
    The guy who designed Coventry cathedral designed my old college at Durham uni.

w00t doesn't even begin to describe the feeling of glee...