Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Stupid shitty fucking laptop!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well its my fault really...but i have a virus (and no antivirus software....dont kill me) and its making my laptop sooooo sloooow. its some w32 hllp sav... thing but yes....mcafee's online scanner told me that but the thing is i cant take it to a repair place till the 20th so what can i do right now at home to fix it....

or does anyone know where i can get a (good) free antivirus...with no viruses on it or trojans or any other crap, which would get rid of it?...?

please please please help me....my child (laptop) is dying before my eyes :(

Comments

• Options
    You can try Pc Cillin Housecall, its a free online scanner and remover of viruses and trojans. Or you can try the online Panda scan, same as Pc Cillin.

Alternatively you can get AVG free personal antivirus from the avg website, nt a bad piece of software if updated often.

If you aint got a firewall i suggest getting one, maybe zonealarm or sygate personal firewall. Once you got a virus its a bitch to get rid of because sometimes it infects your PC with more viruses/trojans/malware/adware/spyware the works!

Oh yeh try ad-aware or spybot too :p.
  • Options
    Download AVG, download ZoneAlarm, and download Spybot: Search and Destroy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Download AVG, download ZoneAlarm, and download Spybot: Search and Destroy.

To put it simple, yeh do this ^^ :)
  • Options
    Ive been quite impressed with Panda active scan, its a online virus scanner that seems to work quite well!

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
  • Options
    everyone is saying AVG but do they ever send you a serial number? For months now thy never send me one when I downloaded it
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    everyone is saying AVG but do they ever send you a serial number? For months now thy never send me one when I downloaded it

eh? Isn't it free? thought you only have to pay if its for business use....
  • Options
    Dude, it's quite easy and you were almost there!

Re-run the online Mcafee scan and copy the virus findings into Notepad. The bit where it flags up what infections you have. They contain the paths of your virii.

Log off the Internet, keep Notepad open and manually delete the files thru Windows Explorer.

Where Norton fails, this succeeds.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    Ive been quite impressed with Panda active scan, its a online virus scanner that seems to work quite well!

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

It requires IE, piece of shite
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

I've never had any probs getting serial numbers, they send them out fairly easily.