Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Dizzie Rascal....

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Am I missing something obvious with this bloke or is he just not any good?

I've heard rave reviews about his work but I cant really see why, and he latest track appears to have Muffin the Mule in it, whats that?!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My sister likes him (she's "street" you see) but I fail to see the attraction myself either. I don't listen to much urban music but some stuff I do hear is pretty damn good. His stuff though, it just annoys me a bit. Not majorly though.
  • Options
    Dizzee Rascal is excellent. His first album is so innovative, in music and subject matter. It sounds like UK garage done by Squarepusher or something.
    It's exciting new music IMO.
  • Options
    But Muffin the Mule?! Surely thats crossing the line.
  • Options
    Which track would that be?
  • Options
    I'm not sure of its name, its his latest release on the MTV type channels, it has the woman from and Muffin from Muffin the Mule, including the little sing song bit.
  • Options
    s'not for everyone, but i was lucky enough to work with a lad who got me into Roll Deep and Pay As You Go and East Connection before his first album came out.

There was some great stuff coming out, and i honestly do believe Dizzee is a prodigious talent, but i can quite see how he could have limited appeal.

Lyrically however, he captures some parts of British culture so well, and tbh honest i dont wanna hear about Bentleys and Diamonds anymore.
  • Options
    His videos arent exactly a big move away though are they, just women in skimpy clothing with a london taxi cab rather than a bently.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Which track would that be?

Its the track called "dream"
    Personally I really like him and find his style unique. I think the video to "dream" is hillarious where they are all puppet on strings. And there is that old women singing and playing the piano.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    His videos arent exactly a big move away though are they, just women in skimpy clothing with a london taxi cab rather than a bently.

This video is I can assure you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by spartaalbion
    Personally I really like him and find his style unique. I think the video to "dream" is hillarious where they are all puppet on strings. And there is that old women singing and playing the piano.

Is it on Showtime? I've only listened to it once.
  • Options
    Originally posted by spartaalbion

Yes, the old woman from Muffin the Mule! But given that most people who listen to the music wont know Muffin if it bit them I guess theres no problem.
  • Options
    Is it on Showtime? I've only listened to it once.

Yes it is on showtime track number 11 (I think)
  • Options
    Yes, the old woman from Muffin the Mule! But given that most people who listen to the music wont know Muffin if it bit them I guess theres no problem.

Im 22 and have heard of muffin the mule but do not remember it.
  • Options
    I'll have another listen when I get home.
  • Options
    e is well good init. e is like propa sick when he spits n that. yeah tight blud.
  • Options
    ^
    are you feeling OK? :confused:
  • Options
    He's the future....
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    He's the future....

Is that a good or bad thing?
  • Options
    Is that a good or bad thing?

Depends on which side you are on
  • Options
    I just fail to see why he's any different to any other of the rash of 'artists' of his ilk. They all sound the same to me.

I cant help shake the feeling I'm just missing something for me to totally not get it and him to be hailed as some sort of demi-god.
  • Options
    that song i had the misfortune to hear whilst playing pool yesterday, the stupid one with the shitty puppets video, was one of the worse songs i have heard in a long time. that snoop dogg song is almost as bad.

and dizzee rascal being the future? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I just fail to see why he's any different to any other of the rash of 'artists' of his ilk. They all sound the same to me.

I cant help shake the feeling I'm just missing something for me to totally not get it and him to be hailed as some sort of demi-god.

I understand your view, he is a bit gimicky, but he has had to be to get out there, but he is the real voice of the streets, the grime, he gets life, listen hard to what he's saying and you may get it.
  • Options

Which other artists?

You probably are.
  • Options
    Which other artists?

Well, actually I cant name any, but I dont think that should poke too big a hole into my arguement. Because they are all too similar I cant pick any out, de facto actually they are all the same.
  • Options

yeah but there is some quite ironic and subversive humor in there, its a humourous take on a badly worn out stereotype.

some of his lyrics remind me of the Jam, y'know, in that mode of accurately descibing the most mundane and ever present things about life.
  • Options
    Anyone who samples Captain Sensible gets my vote, though i'm not sure why :confused:
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Download:

Dizzee Rascal - I Love You

Its great and I dont listen to much of that "London is such a ghetto" type music.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    He's the future....

Comedy gold right there.

Dizzee Rascal: Great lyrics, great tunes... the most fucking irritating voice in Britain. It's like listening to Joe Pasquali trying to rap - it actually makes me envy deaf people.
  • Options
    Dizzee Rascal: Great lyrics, great tunes... the most fucking irritating voice in Britain. It's like listening to Joe Pasquali trying to rap - it actually makes me envy deaf people.

:yes: it doesnt annoy me but i can immediately see how it aint exactley everyones cup of tea:D
  • Options
    Well, actually I cant name any, but I dont think that should poke too big a hole into my arguement. Because they are all too similar I cant pick any out, de facto actually they are all the same.

Good argument.