Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My first job?

Hi there, here's my latest problem. I'm trying to piece my life back together after this horrible depression. Frankly, I've had enough of being around this house. I can't stand it here anymore, and I can't stand my parents anymore. I've decided I want to go to university next September.

But until then, I've got to find a job. A prospect which is scaring the crap out of me. It doesn't look encouraging: I'm 19 and have never done a day's work. I never needed the money when younger. I'm not looking for any specific kind of work, but I'm just low on money these days and hate taking money off others. I've got absolutely no idea how to go about doing this. What are your experiences of looking for a first job?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Starting working where my mum worked.

2½ years later I'm still here - just management now!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hotel work is crap, and unappreciated and just about every other bad word in the dictionary, but as a temporary thing before uni i'd recommend it. It teaches you a variety of skills (Bar, restaurant, conferrencing, banquetting) that you can use if you need to work at uni and you are dealing with people which might improve you confidence.

All you gotta do is just keep telling yourself that this isnt forever and stick it out, it'll be worth it.

Try applying for a 3-4 star hotel like a Novotel or Marriott, one that does big functions.

They'll be hiring like crazy for xmas, so get in there now, so that after xmas you'll be more likely to be kept on.

If you are full time you're laughing, they always need full time staff.

(i never thought id hear myself say that lot but it makes sense even though i wish to god it didnt :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: My first job?
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I'm 19 and have never done a day's work. I never needed the money when younger. I'm not looking for any specific kind of work, but I'm just low on money these days and hate taking money off others.

I'm exactly the same as you. The only thing i've achieved in the past 19 months is to get a full drivers license & that has been solely done by my mum funding it.

You say about going to uni next Sept so does that mean you've got a-levels or equivalent qualifications? If so what are they?

Cause you'd be working for the next year(roughly) then i'd say try getting a job which you would enjoy doing not a job solely for the money.

What are your passions/hobbies/interests in life?

.:Chris:.
  • Options
    If you're gonna get a job, now is the time! Hand out CVs like they're free fliers!!!

I got my first job at Christmas when I was 15, working for WHSmiths. I stacked shelves until they found out I could type (about 2 weeks in) and then I typed in bar codes. I worked 2 hours a day after school, 5 days a week. It was only 10 hours a week but it paid £3.72 an hour which was good at the time (this was 2000!).

Then after I finished there in February 2001, I didn't bother looking for a job for a while, did my GCSEs and lived off the money I had earnt from WHSmiths. I applied to about 5 places in September 2001 and got 4 interviews. I got offered the job at River Island straight away and accepted it cos I wanted to work there more than anywhere else (and there's something oh so satisfying about ringing up to cancel interviews because you've already been offered a job :cool: ).

I started at River Island in October 2001, just doing 6 hours on a Saturday (contracted) but I worked overtime on Thursday nights and Sundays. Then after a year my contract got increased to thirteen hours a week (6 on Sat, 5 on Sun, 2 on Thursday) but I was actually working 18 hours a week with the overtime and I did fulltime during school half terms and at Christmas etc. Then when I finished my A Levels I worked there 40 hours a week until the day before I left for Uni. I went back there full time at Christmas, Easter and last summer. £4.50 an hour I used to get paid :(

Then I decided I wanted a job at Uni too so I applied to a couple of places, turned down one job because the pay was stupid. I ended up getting a 12 hour a week contract with Habitat last month and I love it there, I'm doing lots of overtime at the moment too so that's all good. I'll go back to River Island at Christmas though.
  • Options
    Another idea if you just want a years work is to give your CV to a few employment agencies (try Yellow Pages and your nearest big town). These are very useful if you're looking for office work and the like, especially as you have A levels. It would be very basic work; as long as you can type, count and answer the phone then you should be accepted somewhere.
    Most of the time they find temporary jobs, but you might be able to get a 6 month contract at one place then another one somewhere else when that runs out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    Try applying for a 3-4 star hotel like a Novotel or Marriott, one that does big functions.

They'll be hiring like crazy for xmas, so get in there now, so that after xmas you'll be more likely to be kept on.

Ditto shops...particularly like, department stores and (like meeeeeeeee) toy shops.

Write a CV...I can help you if you want...if you've never written one (which is what I'm assuming here). I'll send you a copy of mine if you want *shrugs*