Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ectasy and feeling a but down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im goin out for my birthday on sat which is one of the two times of the year that i reserve to get completley off my tits (the other is my week in ibiza) due to being at uni and ectasy doing noticable damage to my memory in the past.

Anyway iv been feeling a bit down lately about one problem and another, not depressed or any other mental health problem just a bit weighed down by everything that is going on. In another thread i read about how people that are depressed can be affected badly by different substances (im not saying that im depressed, well not in the illness way anyway).

So i am just askin if anyone thats been feeling a bit down in the dumps has ever felt differently affected by drugs than when in a happier mood in a similar way to people that are depressed, in particular ectasy and speed. I mean affected differerantly whilst off your head not when coming down, i would imagine that coming down would be worse if your feeling down anyway.

Comments

• Options
    I have never felt depressed whilst coming up and peaking on pills. Always made me see problems as not at all as significant as when I was sober. I found this very attractive, but would always regret it when I forgot how bad the comedowns were getting.
  • Options
    well im going to explain what i think (bong, LADYJ or someone please check that this is a reasonably accurate sentiment).

If you are feeling down before you drop E, due to problems in your life, your brain via its network of neurons is reacting to (as well as creating) thought processes realted to your perceptions and experiences of the world around you.

When you take E it wont magically make all of your problems go away, ergo you will still feel like this when you come down.

The problem may be that when you are coming down (everyone's brain chemistry means that they will react differently) your brain is trying to restore order; to get you back to where you were before you dropped.

The problem when coming down is that the temporary neurotransmitter depletion (specfically of serotonin) caused by Ecstasy use limits the ability of the brain to make you 'feel' better. And since the way you feel in terms of mood affects the way you think, your thoughts could become more negative as a result or you have more trouble feeling better about things than normal. But then your brain will also react to negative thoughts and adjust mood accordingly so it becomes a cycle.

This is an EXTREMELY crude model of a stupidly complex process, but it might help to answer your question in terms of the consequences of dropping during difficult periods.

Ultimately though, do you really think its worth it when you could have a wicked time with freinds anyway, and on the other hand their is a very real possibility of you feeling shite in a way that will marr your memories of this birthday :confused:

believe me i know E is wicked :D but maybe at least save it for when the odds of you regretting the experience are not so stacked against you :confused: ?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think you are on the right track there MB, without going in to too much detail. Additionally, I believe it depends on why you are depressed, as Martin said E works with the chemicals in your brain, and if your depression stems from a chemical imbalance (IE lack of seratonin production) then E is either not going to work or will use up what seratonin you have and give you a much bigger crash on comedown.

But I am sure Bong will pick my theory to pieces... and remember we are dealing with a VERY complex set of interactions when we talk about depression and drugs, not one is really sure how these things interact and what the consequenses are. The best advice I can give is really have a think about whether one night or right now is really worth the potential consequenses - you have the rest of your life to do these things in, what's the urgency? Listen to how you are feeling and if it doesn't feel right, don't. It's a bit cliched, but so true.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track MB and LadyJade, of course there is the issue over whether seritonin is really the 'key' to depression in the way its put forward.

Personally I see it as a lot more complex than that, the dopamine receptor for example, something so closely linked to pleasure and movement MUST have something to do with it if you ask me.

I could go into more detail, but well, my insomnia is bad at the moment and I've been getting by on about 3 or 4 hours a night for what seems like a year.

As for whether you should use the drug, well only you can know that really. I would suggest that if you're unsure then dont, you can always wait.

But there is of course the issue of working through your problems on the MDMA. But I get the impression this isnt the way that you use the drug so I dont think thats really a viable option.
  • Options
    the dopamine receptor for example, something so closely linked to pleasure and movement MUST have something to do with it if you ask me.

yeah ive been thinking that as well, hopefully i'll get some more answers as i learn more about it.

:D
  • Options
    When you think about it it seems obvious to me.

Depressed people tend to have dulled senses, lack of excitement, less movement, low sex drive.... all of which are dependant on the dopamine system, not really seritonin. A word I really should learn to spell at some point.
  • Options
    thats the correct spelling as far as i know :confused:

no it does sound quite simple when you explain it like that, but the more i learn about the brain the more stupidl complex it seems.

One professor who gave us a lecture said that 'The fact that the brain of the human being develops normally in so many people, and that things going wrong with it are the exception rather than the rule is nothing short of a miracle'

:yes:

also makes ya question the wisdom of fucking with your brain chemistry really, but its fun i guess :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    thats the correct spelling as far as i know :confused:

Nope, we were all wrong. Its serotonin.
  • Options
    HE HE i was talking about dopamine, it thought thats what he wanted to spell:D
  • Options
    I must spell it a different way each time I write it, and always it looks wrong.
  • Options
    Shall I PM you with the correct spelling, for future reference Bong?
  • Options
    Nah, thats ok, I'll probably remember, though given how tired I am remembering anything other than my name is a challenge.
  • Options
    Are you so tired you didn't even realise I was taking the Michael?
  • Options
    Well I noticed but I was continuing to fish for sympathy which you heartless scumbags arent giving.
  • Options
    Check your PM's you grumpy old man.
  • Options
    Ta for that, though you others are noted down on The List.
  • Options
    Are you so tired you didn't even realise I was taking the Michael?

no you werent im still here :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The List.
    :nervous:
  • Options
    Dont worry, your name isnt down on it.