Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

University Elections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone sood to be elected for anything at Uni, like president of the Student's Union, etc? If so how does it work at your uni?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At Leicester (University of,) there are a whole range of elections. The sabbaticals (President, VP Welfare, VP Education, VP Finance and VP International) who work along side the full time staff; are elected in January in very high profile elections, much the same but on a larger scale to...

Autumn, Spring and By Elections for all other officers at the union, open seats on the council and seats on various committees. For these elections nominations are held in the week prior to the election. There is then a meeting for candidates at the end of that week, with the rules laid down. At the start of the next week the campaigning begins with posters being put up around the union. On the thursday the elections are held with results being posted anywhere from the friday to the next week.

Once elected officers have to attend Council meetings every month (ish), and also attend their own committee meetings.

All lots of fun, as you may be able to guess I wwas elected the other week to a position on the Entertainments Advisory Committee.

Have a look at the union website , under the Your Union header for more details. Chances are there will be something similar at your uni's site.
    They're popularity contests, like any uni positions are.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They're popularity contests, like any uni positions are.

yes and I got 7 votes out of 85 :(
    *giggling hysterically*
    I was elected as female co-president of the LGB by proxy because my friend got me drunk and persuaded me to stand, and no one else did!

Unfortunately I have no idea what exactly my role entails. More worryingly I know nothing about the London Scene so I'll be sod all use for a while... oh well...