Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Builders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Good morning all,
Just a bit confused as to what to do,

My brother was walking home on Friday morning and we have builders working on the building next to us at the moment, as they were taking down parts of the scaffolding, one the links that holds the scaf together fell from the second floor and hit my brother (17) straight on the head (He was on the pavement) he was so scared and thought it was a football that he didnt bother to look what it was that hit him and ran home. He called me and told me he had blood dripping down his face so i left work and ran home, i called an ambulance when i got there and he had to have 5 stitches on three different parts of his head...

Everyone is telling me to sue them but i dont have the faintest idea about it... if we do sue them and it goes to court and we loose is there any chance that my family will have to pay anyone as we dont have the money to be loosing cases, but we feel that my bro played an innocent part in all this, and what they did was totally careless.

For all we know they may have hit other people, what if that had been an old woman - she'd be dead by now!

Has anyone been in a similar situtation?

thankyou X

xxxxx Aimz xxxxx

Comments

• Options
    Watch daytime tv on 5, you'll see about 62349032 different accident companies you can ring that will do you no win no fee deals.

Unfortunately.
  • Options
    That thought did enter my mind as they are ALWAYS on t.v but is it true? i bet they will charge you in the end
  • Options
    Originally posted by aimz
    That thought did enter my mind as they are ALWAYS on t.v but is it true?

No win no fee? And in any case, if you do win, they will take a certain percentage of your winnings. The percentage varies so look around for a trustworthy firm. Then, sue the bastards!
  • Options
    You need to make some sort of complaint :yes:
  • Options
    Yes I would make a complaint - possibly to the local council - I'm pretty sure that they have building inspectors who are supposed to go round and check that building sites are safe etc.

The first thing to do is to see if they admit responsibility - you need to take photo's as proof and I guess also the hospital will be able to back you up. I'd aim for an appology first and then take it from there.

You might qulify for legal aid if you want to sue - but I don't know the ins and outs - try contacting your local citizens advice beureau - they are normally very good

x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    Yes I would make a complaint - possibly to the local council - I'm pretty sure that they have building inspectors who are supposed to go round and check that building sites are safe etc.

The first thing to do is to see if they admit responsibility - you need to take photo's as proof and I guess also the hospital will be able to back you up. I'd aim for an appology first and then take it from there.

You might qulify for legal aid if you want to sue - but I don't know the ins and outs - try contacting your local citizens advice beureau - they are normally very good

x
    yeah thanks i have teken photo's of his head, and when the ambulance came my dad went downstairs and had a word with the manager of the site - who filled out a report but then they had a look for the thing that hit my brother but the fuckers had picked it up - so no proof of it hitting him :mad:

i hate it when there is no proof coz now we aint got as strong a case as possible....
  • Options
    Well I'd imagine that the builders report and the big gash in his head would add up to reasonable enough evidence to swing a civil case, which is all it would be.
  • Options
    i hate it when there is no proof coz now we aint got as strong a case as possible....

Don't give up hope, Aimz. The builders will have to prove they aren't negligent, you'll just have to prove he was injured. Take some pictures of the injury. Take a picture of the site where it happened.
  • Options
    Why do you want to sue? (Apart from the money)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Why do you want to sue? (Apart from the money)

I suspect it's a point of principle. That is, the principle that builders can't be totally incompetent when they're doing their work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I suspect it's a point of principle. That is, the principle that builders can't be totally incompetent when they're doing their work.
    Well yeah but not always.... some of them are very secure when doing their work.... everyone makes mistakes but yeah the money would be nice... and also the fact that they need to know that when they do wrong they will get in trouble for it i guess...
  • Options
    the money would be nice...
    :rolleyes:
    and also the fact that they need to know that when they do wrong they will get in trouble for it i guess...
    You don't need to sue to tell them that. It was probably a genuine accident.

Claims Direct :yuck:
  • Options
    Well yeah but not always.... some of them are very secure when doing their work.... everyone makes mistakes but yeah the money would be nice... and also the fact that they need to know that when they do wrong they will get in trouble for it i guess...

At least you're honest. :)
  • Options
    why lie? lol.... i was only asking a question about the whole thing, if you dont agree that the money would be nice for my brothers inconvenience with this whole thing then dont comment on it....

:rolleyes: to you too! :p
  • Options
    why lie? lol.... i was only asking a question about the whole thing, if you dont agree that the money would be nice for my brothers inconvenience with this whole thing then dont comment on it...

Wow, you go girl!
  • Options
    i aint being horrible, but what happened to my brother was no where near his fault and if someone is to blame it would be the builders, my choice is to sue to i will begin looking into it, but when people get all sarky with me coz i think it was out of order, it fucked me off... well not as much it appears to be right now, but im cool :cool:

breathe! lol:p
  • Options
    why lie? lol.... i was only asking a question about the whole thing, if you dont agree that the money would be nice for my brothers inconvenience with this whole thing then dont comment on it....
    I feel sorry for your brother, it's just the instant reaction to sue whoever was responsible that irritates me. And the fact that someone else must be to blame for every misfortune that one encounters.

Have you noticed that RTA has been removed from the Casualty dictionary? They're now called RTCs (road traffic collisions) because apparently there is no such thing as an accident.

Lawyers are mostly greedy scumbags too.
    :rolleyes: to you too! :p
    :p
  • Options
    i aint being horrible, but what happened to my brother was no where near his fault and if someone is to blame it would be the builders, my choice is to sue to i will begin looking into it, but when people get all sarky with me coz i think it was out of order, it fucked me off... well not as much it appears to be right now, but im cool :cool:

That I agree with. Make a complaint with the relevant authorities, (I'm not sure what the relevant authority would be in East London) and see if the matter can be sorted out of court. If not, sue them! The Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good place to start about this. OK, the address is http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk
  • Options
    but surely if someone (my brother) is walking along a pavement with no "warning scaffolding may fall sign) and something clonks him on the nut, that it no way whatsoever his fault?
  • Options
    Cheers SGthere is a C.A.B. right nex to my wrok in kentish town so i may go there but the queue's can be a bitch so i may use the link. thanks thou :D
  • Options
    Have you noticed that RTA has been removed from the Casualty dictionary? They're now called RTCs (road traffic collisions) because apparently there is no such thing as an accident.

I would agree to a certain point that society is losing the concept of an accident. However, in the case of Aimz, I would argue that this was a disaster that could have been easily averted were it not for negligence from builders.
  • Options
    but surely if someone (my brother) is walking along a pavement with no "warning scaffolding may fall sign) and something clonks him on the nut, that it no way whatsoever his fault?
    I'm not suggesting it was your brother's fault. But that doesn't automatically make it the builder's fault. Is there such thing as an accident?
  • Options
    Cheers SGthere is a C.A.B. right next to my work in kentish town so i may go there but the queue's can be a bitch so i may use the link. thanks thou :D

Glad I could be of help, Aimz.
  • Options
    I'm not suggesting it was your brother's fault. But that doesn't automatically make it the builder's fault. Is there such thing as an accident?
    Yeah there is and i did also state that somewhere already in the thread, but either way when you do that particular kind of work, you MUST be very very careful with what you do coz people's lives are at stake...

when i was running home to see him i had to run past where he got hit and i heard stuff fall from the scafolding landings so i walking around the cars into the road to get home..... you can tell they arent being very careful about it all..
  • Options
    Write a strongly worded letter.

Sod it, sue the buggers, I've got no vested interest in this.
  • Options
    Yeah there is and i did also state that somewhere already in the thread, but either way when you do that particular kind of work, you MUST be very very careful with what you do coz people's lives are at stake... when i was running home to see him i had to run past where he got hit and i heard stuff fall from the scafolding landings so i walking around the cars into the road to get home..... you can tell they arent being very careful about it all..

There IS such a thing as an accident. What happened here could well have been an accident, but the builders in question must be informed of what happened. Aimz is completely right to be pursuing this one.
  • Options
    I think you should defienlty look into it.

I think there are two ways those companies work, one is no win no fee and the law company takes about 40% of what you win and another is like you're paying some kind of insurance thing.. not exactly sure how it works but I'd suggest the no win no fee way and make sure if youlose you're not liable for any expenses or have any risk of being counter sued!

I went to a New Year's Eve party at a nightclub several years ago and at the stroke of midnight loads of iodiots on the dance floor threw their glasses and glass bottles inthe air and I got hit ont he head and when they took me to the first aid room there was about 15 other people with cuts and blood gushing down them who had the same thing happen to them.

The club has small notices sayign no glass to be taken otnhe dance floor but they don't do anything to enforce that rule!

I seriously doubt you'd even have to go to court, I think most of these things get settled out of court and seeing as he atually did get hit that you have a strong case and a valid reason to seek compensation.
  • Options
    You can normally book appointments with the CAB.

Kentish, why the hell not sue?

Sometimes I hate the sueing mentality, but if people don't do their job properly then they should be made to pay where it hurts: in the pocket.

Why shouldn't he get some money for it? Why should the builders get away scot-free from their cock-up?

The only punishment is cash. It always has been, and always will be.