Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Autism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi people i need your help i really need to find some info on autism i was wondering has any one here got a family member or a friend with autism and what difficulties there are . Also if any one has got some good websites i'll be very thankful

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    How much do you know about autism already? If you know very little, or only need to know the basics, try the National Autism Society website. If you want an in-depth understanding of autism, particularly the effects on learning and methods to combat this, give me a shout and i'll dig round for some complex resources.
  • Options
    Not exactly relevant, but have you read 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time'?

It's quite an interesting work of fiction about autism.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, my little cousin is half-autistic (as they told me), but I don't know what to say to you,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    half-autistic
    :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    :confused:

Maybe he means asbergers?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Maybe he means aspergers?
    Perhaps, making 'half-autism' a misnomer.
  • Options
    Something i learnt yesterday was that people with autism tend to have a certain obsession and they can be quite clever at certain things too.

My friends mum fosters 2 boys with autism. One is very polite and good and goes to a special school. he used to obsess over wars and battle, now its his playstation. He used to go mountain boarding with us and was really good at it, great balance and picked it up straight away.
    The other will be going to a mainstream school, but he can be very naughty. Hes 5 and swears and punches already and obsess over licks and keys so tend to crawl under the doors of public toilets and lock them all.

I think its known as a syndrome as there are different types.
  • Options
    Re: Autism

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Maybe he means asbergers?
    Well, I don't know. That was how it was described to me. Actually, "kind of autistic" or "partly autistic" might be more accurate translations.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Well, I don't know. That was how it was described to me. Actually, "kind of autistic" or "partly autistic" might be more accurate translations.

How about 'close to the mid-ground on the spectrum'?
  • Options
    How about 'close to the mid-ground on the spectrum'?

Well I think maybe that'd be the best explaination? That the individual is on the less severe side of the spectrum.

To be honest I think Aspergers is more of a social thing than anything... It's high functioning.

I have a friend with Aspergers, I'm Dyspraxic (which is on the spectrum).
  • Options
    i know ill get flamed for this, however, too much is made of autism these days, same with ADD, my cousin is 'autistic' all id call him is an extremely naughty child, he bites kicks screams and beats up other kids. im not saying its not real i know there are kids out there with real problems but now if your naughty you dont get punished you get given a load of pills to calm you down, just seems doctors are to willing to prescribe to keep worried mothers off there cases
  • Options
    Just so you know there isnt a drug they use to "sort out" autistic people. It can take years and years of building up certain routines and teaching the person social norms, for example, explaining that it isnt acceptable to get naked in asda or to hit/bite children for crying.

I do actually feel very offended by what you just said and I think you are very rude.
    If you punish a child with autism its not going to work now isit. Telling a child with autism that they have to go sit in their room on their own is going to be great for them, they wont have to put up with other people and they can continue to play in their own little world.
    You cant give them a smack either other wise they will get it into their heads that if someone is naughty it is ok to hit them, and they'll end up going up to a random kid thats having a tanrum and giving it a good wack.

So since neither are a good idea what would your sugested punishment for the child be?

The reason that more people are being diagnosed with autism is because it is easier to spot in children these days. It took 13 years for the docters to figure out that my sister had it, and that was only because my mums lecturer happened to bring it up in class one day and she clocked on and took my sis straight to the Dr's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    If you punish a child with autism its not going to work now isit. Telling a child with autism that they have to go sit in their room on their own is going to be great for them, they wont have to put up with other people and they can continue to play in their own little world.
    You cant give them a smack either other wise they will get it into their heads that if someone is naughty it is ok to hit them, and they'll end up going up to a random kid thats having a tanrum and giving it a good wack.

So since neither are a good idea what would your sugested punishment for the child be?

So true!! My son is just about to go through the assessment for Aspergers. It's pretty much agreed that he has got Aspergers and I think the official assessment is to gauge the level and how best to help him. He doesn't understand facial expressions, yet sits in the corner and pulls some pretty strange facial expressions of his own!! He doesn't understand how his actions affect others, and he has obsessions which come and go at the drop of a hat. At the moment it's Yu-Gi-Oh cards, I know most kids like these things but my boy just takes it to extremes and then the next week it's forgotten about. We've only just got over The Lion King!!He is a very bright child though, it's his social skills that are lacking and if anyone said to me it was down to bad parenting I would be very offended.
  • Options
    To help him with the facial expression thing stand with him and pull some expressions, get him to copy these. He will slowly start to pick it up. A mate of mine used to do this everyday and it seemed to help him loads, I didnt even know he has asburgers till someone told me. I'll try and find the link to his online book if you want. It says all about what it was like for him growing up.
  • Options
    To help him with the facial expression thing stand with him and pull some expressions, get him to copy these. He will slowly start to pick it up. A mate of mine used to do this everyday and it seemed to help him loads, I didnt even know he has asburgers till someone told me. I'll try and find the link to his online book if you want. It says all about what it was like for him growing up.

that link would be really helpful, I haven't really been given much advice or insight yet...we are just riding it out until it's all official as such.
  • Options
    Thanks for finding those for me Zella, they look really interesting :)
  • Options
    They are, he was a great guy and he had learnt to hide his autism very well.
    I miss him:(
  • Options
    did i say i meant anything wrong by it? no and i dont care if you think im rude i think your small minded. so anyway you can keep your experience but kids do need to be punished for acting like little shits, no wonder theres so much youth crime if kids arent taught right from wrong because they have 'problems' what i meant was if your kid misbehaves theres always some medical awnser to it, often its ADD or autism or something, there are true sufferers i know but i think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

get over yourself and see the bigger picture
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    did i say i meant anything wrong by it? no and i dont care if you think im rude i think your small minded. so anyway you can keep your experience but kids do need to be punished for acting like little shits, no wonder theres so much youth crime if kids arent taught right from wrong because they have 'problems' what i meant was if your kid misbehaves theres always some medical awnser to it, often its ADD or autism or something, there are true sufferers i know but i think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

get over yourself and see the bigger picture

Debatable... getting diagnosed with a social disorder such as Aspergers is difficult (it took me years to get a dysprxia diagnosis) becuse of the nature of the disorder and because anything on the autistic spectrum often overlaps with other things... For example you could have Aspergers, dyslexia and dyspraxia all in one...

Yeah, there are more people being diagnosed with ADD and Aspergers ect... But only because people are becoming more aware of it.

Ever met somebody with ADD? It's different to meeting somebody who's a complete prick. There's more to ADD than a youngun misbehaving... To get a diagnosis the youth would have to see an educational psychologist. So as well as being say... over-sensitive mood wise, the kid could have concentration problems, difficulty with instructions and writing.

As a person with a hidden disability I'll tell ya this Char. I have difficulty with mathematics and reading... I can't see symmetry very well and can't understand properly the instructions on the back of a micropizza unless I read them about 4 times. Am I dyspraxic? or am I thick?
  • Options
    yes i have met people with ADD, at school they were bullies and constantly distrupting, but the teachers wouldnt do anything because they 'couldnt help it' so yes im not making this off the top off my head

i wouldnt call you thick, i think dyslexia and dyspraxia are very real things that cause a lot of difficulty, like autism etc

however ive been angered even more lately over this issue. one story, the 18 year old who killed 10 year old rosie may, according to his parents the police were 'picking on him' because he was autistic even though hed done similar things before and was the only person who could have done it. another one the 15 year old who was caught drug smuggling in ghana and sentanced for 25 years hard labour, though he cant have known what he was doing because he was autistic.

seems like its becoming more and more of an excuse to me, there are real sufferers out there, no doubt but i also blame self prescribers for seeing there kid has some symptoms (eg bad behaviour) and just sticking it on there child

and no im not having personal digs at anyone, ive experienced it and formed my own opinion. read it properly if your getting offended k?
  • Options
    the 15 year old who was caught drug smuggling in ghana and sentanced for 25 years hard labour, though he cant have known what he was doing because he was autistic.

I would advise you to read marc's book, I posted a link a few posts up.

please explain to me how you think i am being small minded?

There a ways of dealing with bad behavour and the teachers at your school were obviously not trained to deal with it.
    The usual ways of punishing a child would not work on people with ADD or autism, other mesures have to be taken.

To be honnest from what you have said i think its you who is small minded.
  • Options
    And if you cant be bothered to read what he wrote then I have taken a snippet for you.
    To the school tear-aways I was a real object of interest. If they told me to do something, quite often I would do it, thinking I was being good and doing as I was told, not really knowing that it was against the school rules and it would get me into trouble. When they said "Umm, I'm telling", I would immediately realise that I was breaking the school rules but that I didn't know about it at the time and that it was extremely unfair.
  • Options
    one story, the 18 year old who killed 10 year old rosie may, according to his parents the police were 'picking on him' because he was autistic even though hed done similar things before and was the only person who could have done it.

Right now I dont know the whole story behind this but I'm just going by what I know about autism.

People with autism cant really understand the idea of death.They cant understand that if someone gets hit in the head hard that they wont get up agian. Most probably they will think they are sleeping.

You may have seen people with autism about an thought oh yea i know what that is, but truthfully you dont know that much.
  • Options

You may have seen people with autism about an thought oh yea i know what that is, but truthfully you dont know that much.

and you do i suppose? i bet your just the little expert

im giving my opinion based on my experience,if you dont like it fuck off and dont read my posts no need to get worked up every single time you petty little girl

you've got some serious growing up to do
  • Options
    Right now I dont know the whole story behind this but I'm just going by what I know about autism.

People with autism cant really understand the idea of death.They cant understand that if someone gets hit in the head hard that they wont get up agian. Most probably they will think they are sleeping.

ands thats alright i suppose? a young girl gets killed and a few others abused by him and its 'ok' because he has problems, your attitude is whats wrong with the justice system. people will never learn if there not punished, i know normal people dont go around killing people but they shouldn't be let off because they're 'special'

surely you agree with that?
  • Options
    and you do i suppose? i bet your just the little expert

im giving my opinion based on my experience,if you dont like it fuck off and dont read my posts no need to get worked up every single time you petty little girl

you've got some serious growing up to do

Yes, I actually. Ive been a sibling carer all since the age of three to my sister who has autism, I've done training on how to cope with autistic behavoural problems, my god son has it, my best mate had it, I have done countless volenteer work with people with autism so I think I know a little bit more than you dear.

I get worked up about it becuase ignorant people wind me up talking like they know things when they really dont.

No I dont think what that guy did was ok, I think it was fucking horrible. What I'm saying is there are other ways of dealing with things like this. He shouldnt been let loose becuase he is dangerous to others and himself, and there are steps that should be taken in order to stop it happening again. Also things should have been done to prevent it happening in the first place. What he did was wrong, but if he was treated like any other child when he did something bad and given a clip round the ear, he would have gotten the idea that when someone does something bad that its ok to hurt them as punishment.

Autistics who are a danger to others and themselve shouldnt go to normal jail, there are specailist units for people like him. He should have been put in a mental health unit.

I read your posts and I get worked up, yes but only becuase you are missimformed about what autism really is. There is need and its not petty considering I've grown up around it.
  • Options
    yes i have met people with ADD, at school they were bullies and constantly distrupting, but the teachers wouldnt do anything because they 'couldnt help it' so yes im not making this off the top off my head

Nope because you need to know how to deal with things like ADHD and autism. For example if you tried to deal with my mate and gave off the wrong signals, it'd cause trouble. Yeah they're people and have consciences... But they're wired a little differently and learn differently. I'll admit that at least in my area, apart from autism I haven't heard of any services for families with kids who hae ADHD, Dyspraxia... Apraxia ect.
    i wouldnt call you thick, i think dyslexia and dyspraxia are very real things that cause a lot of difficulty, like autism etc

Yeah... Many people think if you have a learning difficulty you're thick... But go beyond the difficulty and it's peachy. Looking at social disorders... Is the kid a problem child or a child with problems? A person with a social disorder... are they bad kids or people who think differently?

Thing is yeah, maybe somebody who was autistic committed a crime... But you get people with mental illness... homosexuals... drug addicts... men in suits... all sorts committing crime.