Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy Halloween/Happy Samhain!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just thought i'd post this.

Two of my friends are going to Glastonbury later to celebrate Samhain, lucky moos! :D

but i might go to the TJ's Halloween Party, I haven't decided yet :D

So, what are y'all doing for Halloween/Samhain?

Comments

• Options
    i will be hiding in my wheely bin and popping up as and when to scare the living shite out of the little shits who come trick-or-treating.
  • Options
    I'll not be doing anything as we celebrated last night. Might watch Most Haunted Live to pass some time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i will be hiding in my wheely bin and popping up as and when to scare the living shite out of the little shits who come trick-or-treating.

make sure you film it and put it on here ;)
  • Options
    Some kids were out last night trick-or-treating. My mum told them to bugger off and don't bother coming back tomorrow.

We're operating a no-sale policy on eggs and flour to anyone who either looks under 18, or anyone I don't like the look of this weekend. This results in me having to repeatedly void transactions and refuse sales because half of the staff don't even bother adhering to our policy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    We're operating a no-sale policy on eggs and flour to anyone who either looks under 18, or anyone I don't like the look of this weekend. This results in me having to repeatedly void transactions and refuse sales because half of the staff don't even bother adhering to our policy.

sounds like you permanently operate a no-fun policy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    sounds like you permanently operate a no-fun policy.

No, we sell Halloween-related artifacts - costumes, pumpkins etc. What our policy is designed for is to protect people who don't want to get involved in Halloween, and therefore have their house egged and floured for no good reason by little shits who seem to think they have a RIGHT to go up to your house and DEMAND sweets.
  • Options
    I lurve Halloween. I'm working tonight but don't mind. Getting dressed up again and they are going to have a huge firework display outside my work. Can't wait.
  • Options
    Some kids were out last night trick-or-treating. My mum told them to bugger off and don't bother coming back tomorrow.

What a miserable cow your mother sounds! If she doesn't want children coming to the door the best thing to do would be to put a little sign up or perhaps not even answer the door. People who tell children to 'bugger off' are pathetic. That is no way to treat little kids.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    What a miserable cow your mother sounds! If she doesn't want children coming to the door the best thing to do would be to put a little sign up or perhaps not even answer the door. People who tell children to 'bugger off' are pathetic. That is no way to treat little kids.

We tried putting up a little sign. Then a slightly larger one. Then an A3 notice. All three were ignored. What's the point?
    She didn't tell them to bugger off, i elaborated that bit to make the point of what she was trying to say. she told them to go away in an irritable manner, and besides, you are less than half-qualified to comment on how my mother should treat children.
  • Options
    you are less than half-qualified to comment on how my mother should treat children.

:lol: You don't have to have any qualifications to know what constitutes good manners sweetheart.
  • Options
    :lol: You don't have to have any qualifications to know what constitutes good manners sweetheart.

Good manners? She told them to go away and not bother her. I can think of nothing else one could say.
  • Options
    Good manners? She told them to go away and not bother her. I can think of nothing else one could say.

"I'm sorry kids, I've got nothing to give you I'm afraid. But you all look lovely. Bye"

Strange how its gone from:

"My mum told them to bugger off and don't bother coming back tomorrow."

to

"she told them to go away in an irritable manner"

and now

"She told them to go away and not bother her."

I'd recommend you stop exaggerating in future.
  • Options
    "I'm sorry kids, I've got nothing to give you I'm afraid. But you all look lovely. Bye"

Strange how its gone from:

"My mum told them to bugger off and don't bother coming back tomorrow."

to

"she told them to go away in an irritable manner"

and now

"She told them to go away and not bother her."

I'd recommend you stop exaggerating in future.

Ok, well first of all she wouldn't be sorry she didn't have to give them anything. They don't look remotely lovely, unless you regard having an accident whilst wearing a blackout curtain being lovely.

Precisely what my mother said involved her telling them to go away and not bother her, and not to bother coming back tomorrow because she wasn't interested, in a very irritable voice because she was not happy in being parted from a very important discussion by kids who're greedy and want to start early in their vandalism and thieving. She did not use the phrase 'bugger off' but that was the sentiment behind what she said, hence my usage of it in the first post on this subject.
  • Options
    I'll probably be going clubbing like most normal people instead of celebrating archaic Celtic festivals ;[
  • Options
    Jeez you must have had some fucked up childhood. My mother can't wait to see some children at the door all dressed up and having a nice time.
  • Options
    Jeez you must have had some fucked up childhood. My mother can't wait to see some children at the door all dressed up and having a nice time.

Seeing children dressed up and having a nice time is not the problem. My mother discourages trick-or-treaters because some children see it as their right to throw eggs and flour at the houses of people who give them nothing, and are under the impression that it's not actually doing anything wrong.
  • Options
    I seriously hate trick-or-treaters, and am all for Carter's mum (ololl) and her methods. Kids must think they're entitled to everyones money in the town. They aren't. It isn't 'just fun'; not when they dress up in the same shitty costumes every day of the holiday (which aren't even scary... Plastic knife, wtf?) and keep knocking on the same houses as the night before. It's the one period of the year when people aren't thought badly of for begging.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I seriously hate trick-or-treaters, and am all for Carter's mum (ololl) and her methods. Kids must think they're entitled to everyones money in the town. They aren't. It isn't 'just fun'; not when they dress up in the same shitty costumes every day of the holiday (which aren't even scary... Plastic knife, wtf?) and keep knocking on the same houses as the night before. It's the one period of the year when people aren't thought badly of for begging.

I'm glad I live in a nice village then. My experience of trick or treaters is vastly different. They're young children accompanied by their parents who just want a mini mars bar. For most of them the fun is in the dressing up.
  • Options
    I'm glad I live in a nice village then. My experience of trick or treaters is vastly different. They're young children accompanied by their parents who just want a mini mars bar. For most of them the fun is in the dressing up.

Same here, I've never had any problems..
  • Options
    Accompanied by a parent? They come accompanied with their over 20 friends (who've all shared that same pot of fake blood, omg) and badger you for all you're worth.
  • Options
    Am working... dressing up too.
  • Options
    Accompanied by their parents? LOL!

The kids have their street cred to think of fs ;[
  • Options
    we don't actually get many trick-or-treaters here. only a few really young kids with their parents. a few years ago we had more, but they soon learned that the average age on this street is about 90, and all they'll get is a twix that's a year past its sell by date and a story about the good old days.

a few years ago some older kids came round, and my mum had forgotten it was halloween, so she had nothing to give them. they asked if they could have money instead (in a kind of harmless, cheeky way) and my mum gave them a lecture, and said they could have a custard cream and be grateful they got anything at all. never been back, funnily enough.

if all else fails, we just put the dog out in the garden. none of them dare to come in.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind so much* if it were little kids who actually bothered to dress up, but round here we just get slack-jawed plebs done out in kappa in a basic give-us-some-money-please-or-we'll-stab-you scenario.

I think I gave some kids a pcket of quavers one year. They didn't look too impressed.

*this is a lie
  • Options

You are lucky. Round here it's a completely different story. True, you get the bunch of kids with daddy at the back making sure everything's ok... At 6 o'clock. By the time Huw Edwards has arrived, so have endless groups of early teenage yobs who're now in that phase where they think they rule the world. I once had one who didn't bother with 'trick or treat', just 'what ya got'. If I lived in a village where I would very likely have seen these children before, I would be much more welcoming and amicable, I might even get something in specially. However, in suburbia, I tend to find it more insulting, more of a case of people trespassing on your property, banging on your door uninvited, demanding that they be provided with food, and taking offence when they're told that we're not really interested. This then results in unnecessary criminal damage, and the police rarely want to know.
  • Options
    We get all the pikeys around wrexham bringing their kids out so they trick or treat and ask for money around pubs in town :lol:

I always wonder how much they make.
  • Options
    However, in suburbia

I live in the suburbs too. :confused:
  • Options
    Studying, and letting the other occupants of the house tell the trick-or-treaters to fuck off.

Might go to the pub, not sure yet.
  • Options
  • Options
    I live in the suburbs too. :confused:

You must live in the parts where they aren't all arses.