Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is Halloween evil or just fun?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got a mini comic through my door this morning, courtesy of Jehovas Witnesses. The message behind the story was: Halloween is the work of the devil, and we should all refuse to participate in it.

Apparently, trick or treating has sinister connotations of ancient times when pagan chiefs would visit houses for money. If the families had no money, they would sacrifice the child.

Do you celebrate Halloween? I occasionally did trick or treating as a child. It's so huge in the US, they seem to be pushing it more here now as well (just look in Asda at all the merchandise)..

So it is evil, or just a bit of fun?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Is Halloween evil or just fun?
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I got a mini comic through my door this morning, courtesy of Jehovas Witnesses. The plot was all about how Halloween is the work of the devil, and how we should all refuse to participate in it.

Apparently, trick or treating has sinister connotations of ancient times when pagan chiefs would visit houses for money. If the families had no money, they would sacrifice the child.

Do you celebrate Halloween? I occasionally did trick or treating as a child. It's so huge in the US, they seem to be pushing it more here now as well (just look in Asda at all the merchandise)..

So it is evil, or just a bit of fun?

i think you'se english have bonfires on the 5th of november but we have them on the 31st, it is a pagan ritual to contact spirits or something like that but who lights bonfires these days to contact spirits how many kids trick or treat then take a child to sacrifice, halloween is just a bit of fun.
  • Options
    What a daft question.
  • Options
    I think trick or treating is begging and should be stoped.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What a daft question.

i know but it does (barely) qualify for a discussion so what can ya do.
  • Options
    What a daft question.

What a pointless reply.
  • Options
    OK, let's try again.

What do you mean by "evil"?
  • Options
    OK, let's try again.

What do you mean by "evil"?

Connotations of satan/the devil

I just got thinking about it reading that daft comic over my breakfast.
  • Options
    What a daft question.

I am so fucking sick and tired of your constant attitude.
    Doesn't matter which thread, but you always seem to find a way to bring the level of discussion down.

Either way, regarding the question, as others have said the meaning of the actual holiday has been lost (much like christmas) and is today merely used as an excuse to do something special.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Either way, regarding the question, as others have said the meaning of the actual holiday has been lost (much like christmas) and is today merely used as an excuse to do something special.

it's funny though cos our version of a traditional christmas/halloween is a version that the christains hijacked off the pagans, it seems that these holidays now have been hijacked by the media, i wonder if the wheel will come full circle
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    it's funny though cos our version of a traditional christmas/halloween is a version that the christains hijacked off the pagans, it seems that these holidays now have been hijacked by the media, i wonder if the wheel will come full circle

I was just thinking about the pagan>christian>media/consumers connection myself.
  • Options
    Connotations of satan/the devil

I just got thinking about it reading that daft comic over my breakfast.

Well seeing as "evil" or "the devil" is an externalisation of the dark side of the human psyche, I don't see how trick or treating can be considered to be "evil".
    Which is why I said it's a daft question.
  • Options
    I am so fucking sick and tired of your constant attitude.
    Doesn't matter which thread, but you always seem to find a way to bring the level of discussion down.

I'm sick of your bullshit arrogance about Israel, but you don't see my complaining do you?

Deal with it or put me on ignore, I really couldn't give a flying fuck either way.
  • Options
    Well seeing as "evil" or "the devil" is an externalisation of the dark side of the human psyche, I don't see how trick or treating can be considered to be "evil".
    Which is why I said it's a daft question.

And paganism has nothing to do with "satan" or "the devil". These are very much Christian concepts. But Christianity did use the image of Pan as Satan.
  • Options
  • Options
    According to this comic, animals are still found sacrificed around Halloween time, and children mysteriously go missing so they should all be extra careful this time of year.

Erm..not quite sure that there is any truth in that.
  • Options
    I'm sick of your bullshit arrogance about Israel, but you don't see my complaining do you?

Deal with it or put me on ignore, I really couldn't give a flying fuck either way.

And as said you bring your attitude to all threads. Practically everyone have complained about your childishness. While you know exactly where to find me if you need me in that mood.

You = Percieved like that all the time
    Me = Percieved like that in a specific subject.
  • Options
    And as said you bring your attitude to all threads. Practically everyone have complained about your childishness. While you know exactly where to find me if you need me in that mood.

You = Percieved like that all the time
    Me = Percieved like that in a specific subject.

As I said - put me on ignore. I don't really give a fuck what you or anyone else thinks of me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    If you ignore the Satan aspect and focus on the sacrificing children part instead....

Well seeing as it's Jehova's Witnesses saying that, I'd take it with a rather large pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Well seeing as it's Jehova's Witnesses saying that, I'd take it with a rather large pinch of salt.

Don't be racist now! :eek: :lol:
  • Options
    Don't be racist now! :eek: :lol:

Are you on drugs?
  • Options
    No, drugs mess with your mind and I don't want to be involved in that.
  • Options
    Yes, you seem to have messed your mind up already, without drugs.
  • Options
    Why, because I read a comic from Jehovas Witness? I haven't even given my own opinion on the topic, I just started a discussion!
  • Options
    What's Blagsta's problem? :confused:
  • Options
    Hmmm. I don't have a religion, so can't really see it from that point of view, but when I was younger I once went babysitting with a friend.

The two young children she was looking after were being brought up by two very religious parents. It was Halloween time and their house was full of anti-Halloween litereature and books etc to teach their children how evil Halloween is. Of course their children wanted to go to the parties other children were going to but instead were left out. I felt pretty sorry for them. :(

Nobody forces people to buy the stuff sold in shops. People just do because its there. You can't blame stores for stocking the stuff, after all their primary aim isn't to ensure morality but to make a profit.

Personally I think it is a bit of fun.
  • Options
    Why, because I read a comic from Jehovas Witness? I haven't even given my own opinion on the topic, I just started a discussion!

No, because you think I'm racist for not believing the Jehova's Witnesses.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    What's Blagsta's problem? :confused:

I don't suffer fools gladly. What's yours?
  • Options
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I don't suffer fools gladly. What's yours?

I don’t have a problem.

I just think you’re a pathetic and pretty childish individual…How old are you again?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    I don’t have a problem.

I just think you’re a pathetic and pretty childish individual…How old are you again?

Why exactly am I pathetic? Because I challenge people's silly assumptions?

Hmmmmm...you seem to quite defensive.