Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

That question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They ask in interviews...

"what are your weak/bad points"

Whats a good answer and what answers have you used?

I am going for a spanky new job and need to prepare!

:)

Comments

• Options
    I remember when I was asked that one, I said something along the lines of, "I'm a hardcore perfectionist." No doubt, it was pretty lame, but it got me into med school. I don't think I said hardcore though. Hmm.

Good luck with the interview! :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Re: That question
    Originally posted by Crazyredeyes
    I am going for a spanky new job and need to prepare!

Do a Spud. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Re: Re: That question
    Originally posted by Skive

one of the funniest things i've ever seen
  • Options
    Re: Re: That question
    Originally posted by Skive

Thats the only thing I could think of so far...

I remember when I went for an interview and took some speed, I got the job but when I was talking all I could think of was........slow down !
  • Options
    Just remember that they want to know about you.... if they ask what your weaknesses are they want to know what your weaknesses are!! Too many people answer this question with an answer that isn't a weakness at all.... like being a workaholic, or an overachiever.

So think about what your weaknesses actually ARE. For example, if you need to improve your communications skills, say so, but also say that you're looking forward to working on it, or something like that.

Of course, if you want the job at all costs you could just say whatever you think they want to hear, but then the job might not be right for you and vice versa. Suppose it depends what it is really, and what your goal is. If it's temporary it might not matter that much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Just remember that they want to know about you.... if they ask what your weaknesses are they want to know what your weaknesses are!! Too many people answer this question with an answer that isn't a weakness at all.... like being a workaholic, or an overachiever.

:yes:

which is really annoying.

in my last interview i was just honest. i told them i was disorganised and messy. and they employed me, so...

the trick is to admit to weaknesses that don't really affect the job you're going for. in my job, i don't need to be organised, so they weren't bothered. but if i were going for a PA job, for example, they probably wouldn't employ someone who was all over the place.
  • Options
    weaknesses? none
  • Options
    tell 'em your a feckless stoner ...but only at weekends.
  • Options
    I hate those sort of questions. They're pointless. They just ask them to make you feel uncomfortable, and to keep an upper edge on you, even distract you from some of the other questions they're asking. Next time I get asked such a stupid question I'm going to give them a smart arse answer that's nothing like they expect. Might bugger up the interview, but I hate those questions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    weaknesses? none

To a potential employer that just suggests you're a megalomaniac.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I hate those sort of questions. They're pointless. They just ask them to make you feel uncomfortable, and to keep an upper edge on you, even distract you from some of the other questions they're asking.

No, really... any good employer is NOT trying to catch you out... they need to know about you! They need to know if you're suitable for the job, which let's face it, is no mean feat from a, what? 15? 20? minute interview! Don't forget that an interview is a two way thing - you're there to decide if the job is right for you. It's not about playing games at all.
  • Options
    Don't forget that an interview is a two way thing - you're there to decide if the job is right for you. It's not about playing games at all.
    Oh, I know it's a two way thing. I've been to too many interviews where I've caught them off guard and confused them by actually asking questions, and questioning them about their company, job description & duties, etc. It's as if they have the attitude that they're doing me a great favour, and that they're superior to me and I should be grateful for whatever they offer. And if they start asking stupid questions about what my weaknesses are, then maybe they're not the sort of company I want to work for (as you said, the interview is a two way thing). Maybe the next time I should ask them what there weaknesses are, and why I should work for them? :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    It's as if they have the attitude that they're doing me a great favour, and that they're superior to me and I should be grateful for whatever they offer. And if they start asking stupid questions about what my weaknesses are, then maybe they're not the sort of company I want to work for.

Well I would say if they treat you like an inferior then you ought to question if they're the kind of employers you want to work for anyway. Not always possible though I know, especially in an employer's market.

Maybe the next time I should ask them what there weaknesses are, and why I should work for them? :D

Heehee. Yeah, ask them to tell you something they read from the newspaper that day while you're at it!!
  • Options
    To a potential employer that just suggests you're a megalomaniac.

It could do, or they could realise that I really am the best ever employee that they could ever employ. :p