Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Black Watch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone agrre with the Black Watch going north in Iraq? Also do you agree with the Black Watch being disbanded into a "Superegiment"?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Black Watch
    Originally posted by Ramius
    Does anyone agrre with the Black Watch going north in Iraq? Also do you agree with the Black Watch being disbanded into a "Superegiment"?

First question, yes. We agreed to invade Iraq with the US, it's our duty to assist Iraqis in making their country stable.

Second question, no.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Black Watch
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    First question, yes. We agreed to invade Iraq with the US, it's our duty to assist Iraqis in making their country stable.

i think the UK forces are doin a great job in the south of the country, putting them up there will make the army as a whole look threatening and i fear attacks, both up north and in basra on UK soldiers
  • Options
    I saw on our local news tonight the Mother of a lad aged 18 yrs old who has gone there and it was not nice to watch , she was in a right state......poor woman :(
    They are just bairns, I mean I know at 18 they are adults but they havent really grown un and surely they cannot be prepared for what they will witness over there :(

Sorry, i know that doesn't answer your question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I saw on our local news tonight the Mother of a lad aged 18 yrs old who has gone there and it was not nice to watch , she was in a right state......poor woman :(
    They are just bairns, I mean I know at 18 they are adults but they havent really grown un and surely they cannot be prepared for what they will witness over there :(

Sorry, i know that doesn't answer your question.

i know, its a sad state, alot of young people don't know what they're letting themselves in for when they join the army, some join it thinking they'll be alright, next thing the know it they're being shipped of to a war zone, and at only 18 too, not fair i think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    being shipped of to a war zone, and at only 18 too, not fair i think.
    how can it not be fair?
    you don't sign up for international holidays ...you sign up to fight wars ...your trained to fight wars.
    do young peple honbestly sign up thinking they are going on an adventure holiday to see the world?
    your signing up to an army ...a military force that are expected to fight wars ...to kill and be killed.
    or am i missing something?
  • Options
    It’s very sad. The recruiters perhaps mislead and aren’t totally honest but the fact is our government chose to create the mess it has in Iraq. We now need to finish the job.

I’m sure the black watch will do a better job than the Americans in doing what’s best for Iraq – creating stability and sorting out the mess the US/UK have made.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    how can it not be fair?
    you don't sign up for international holidays ...you sign up to fight wars ...your trained to fight wars.
    do young peple honbestly sign up thinking they are going on an adventure holiday to see the world?
    your signing up to an army ...a military force that are expected to fight wars ...to kill and be killed.

i don't think 18 yr olds are mature enough to realise wht they're letting themselves in for, well alot of them anyway, i've heard friends saying "i might join the army" they're saying it as though it's like a normal job, "ah it's just the army" attitude.
  • Options

Your trained yes, but at 18 do you really 'think' they have enough training ?
    Would it not be better to let soldiers who have had 3 plus years of training go out there instead of young lads just out of training ?
  • Options
    They can be trained from 16 Beckyboo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85

Yes.........start training. You cant tell me that within a couple of months of completing training a young lad/lass has the experience of fighting wars.
    I personally think younger soldiers should not do this kind of service, not until they have grown up a bit more. I dont mean that in a bad way, just at 18 i dont think they are ready for what they could witness over there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85

still too young though, yea you're officially an adult when you're 18 but you don't fully mature until you're twenties, putting a vunerable mind in situations like that can easily lead to psychological problems
  • Options
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041029/325/f5ljl.html

Very sad. A Black Watch soldier has died in an accident.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    how can it not be fair?

:yes:

And most of them live for the opertunity to see action in a combat zone.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    younger soldiers can sometimes fight with a lot more vigour than older troops.
    Older soldiers normally have families and are less likely to put themselves at risk, or risk doing anything that would put their familiy in jeopardy.

Besides, soldiers now are all volunteers. The young lads are given the option when they join of what job they want to do, it's no fault of our own that many join the infantry.
    They know the risks they are taking, and I salute them for it.

As for going to clear up the American's mess, typical aint it.