Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much do you eat?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just curious more than anything.

Atm i'm trying to lose weight, i'm focusing on the calorie count more than anything, at least thats what im told i should mainly look at. I've managed to stop eating to the point of having at least one main meal per day, if im eating mor ethan that i usually have bowls of cooked vegatables. I know im now on a proper diet etc and i should be eating more but i feel doing this with the right amount adn type of excersise i should lose weight.

So yeh my question how much do you generally eat in any one day? what do you generally eat?

Comments

• Options
    To be honest it doesn't matter how much we eat. What you need to think about is that for weight loss energy in is less than energy out. So that you eat whatever, and excercise more, or eat less and excercise the same. If you're eating reasonable amounts you need to excercise more. It's really very simple.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, it depends on a day. I don't really watch my weight (or try to) but I have no problems so far. On the course of a week, for lunch or dinner, I eat several kinds of things: Pizza, beans (and other similar things), sausages, fish, pasta (yum), whatever's available really.
  • Options
    Well, I don't have breakfast.

I usually have either:
    A frozen meal and small salad OR
    Sandwich, crisps, carrot and yogurt
    for lunch (if I'm at work, otherwise I have soup, pasta, something like that)

And what I have for dinner in the evening depends on what I'm doing and what shift my dad is on. If he's on day shift he makes the family a meal in the evening which is full of veggies etc. Sometimes, if I'm going out I'll eat a ready meal, but always add some fresh vegetables to it.

I always make sure I eat at least three portions of veg a day and I have a banana smoothie everyday too (home made). Of course, I'm not saint. I eat out a lot with friends and have two or three courses and about twice a month I have a takeaway, but I guess that is pretty normal.

Having said that, I don't gain weight but I don't lose it either.

Yesterday all day I ate:
    Ham & pease pudding sandwich (1 breadbun)
    Two small homemade cheese scones
    Frozen lasagne ready meal with added carrots and peas (it was a very small lasagne, trust me!)
    Leek and bacon bake with mashed potatoes and veg
    Biscuit
  • Options
    Re: How much do you eat?
    Originally posted by Richeh
    I've managed to stop eating to the point of having at least one main meal per day, if im eating mor ethan that i usually have bowls of cooked vegatables. I know im now on a proper diet etc and i should be eating more

:yes:

you should be eating more. Many people go on crash diets like this and forget that to keep the weight OFF you have to keep eating this little. That just isn't realistic - OK, it might see quicker results, but you'll give up quicker, too. Be sensible - healthy, low fat food can still be filling, you don't have to be starving all day long. Buy yourself a low fat cook book and make soups etc and do lots of exercise as Fiend_85 said.

Check these links for more info:

Balanced diet

Faddy diets

Getting fit

Good luck!
  • Options
    Re: Re: How much do you eat?
    Originally posted by spanner
    :yes:

you should be eating more. Many people go on crash diets like this and forget that to keep the weight OFF you have to keep eating this little.

Also, when you take a crash diet, your metabolism slows down, so that when you start eating more, you pile the weight on faster than you lost it. It's better to try and keep things stable and do that little extra excercise, because that'll speed your metabolism up.
  • Options
    I have to have quite a high calorie intake, other wise I tend to loose weight and I cant really afford to do that.

Yesterday I had;

Breakfast;
    One bowel suger oat ceral with semi skimmed milk
    One glass apple juice
    Three large mugs strong black coffee (fresh)

Lunch;
    One turkey, baby spinach, BBQ sauce and cream cheese bagel
    One Apple

Between lunch and 4pm;
    5 X 1200mg tablets gaurana.

Dinner;
    Beef stroganoff sort of thing, home made with yogart, spices and a leek with pasta.

Snack;
    One half pack pringles
    One half bar nice chocolate
    Some slices of ham and cheese.
  • Options
    I'd like to introduce you all to mr anal retentive man ^^^^
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    One turkey
    :eek: For lunch? That's hardcore. :D

Fiend is right about the metabolism thing. Your body goes into starvation mode so actually lays down more fat, and it gets harder and harder to lose weight by dieting.

Healthy eating and regular exercise are the thing to do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I'd like to introduce you all to mr anal retentive man ^^^^

What? Just because I can remember what I ate yesterday.

Just because I have a brain capable of remembering one thing without forgeting another dont call me analy retentive.
  • Options
    Re: Re: How much do you eat?
    Originally posted by spanner
    Balanced diet
    Faddy diets
    Getting fit

Is there anything this website doesn't have?
  • Options
    Not eating makes things even worse... best thing is to eat small things a few times a day, but healthy things.

The main trick is exersice! If you want to get thinner but don't exersice then forget your chances. :no:
  • Options
    To lost 1lb a week (i.e. healthy, maintainable weightloss):

Men: 2000 calories, less than 70g of fat
    Women: 1400 calories, less than 40g of fat

I did this diet and have lost 1st 10lb since May and IT STAYED OFF. It's REALLY easy to do, just stick to foods that are less than 4% fat.

Example of my diet:

Breakfast:
    Yoghurt (fat free, 90 cals) & banana (small, 0.2g fat, 100 cals)

Lunch:
    Ham sandwich made with two slices wholemeal bread - NO BUTTER/MARG/MAYO (250 calories, 4g fat)

Dinner:
    Pasta with tomato sauce and tuna (medium bowl, 600 calories, 7g of fat)

That's only 1040 calories, so you can then fit in 360 (for women) or 860 (for men) calories in snacks throughout the day to keep sugar levels up and stop you getting too hungry.

Examples:

glass of orange juice - 100 calories
    apple - 65 calories
    packet of fruit pastils - 160 calories
    2 slices plain ryvita topped with cottage cheese - 100 calories
    1 pint of sugar free jelly - 40 calories
    cup of tea with milk - 30 calories
    1/2 can of baked beans on one slice of toast - 300 calories

IF YOU EAT LESS THAN 1000 CALORIES FOR WOMEN OR 1500 CALORIES FOR MEN A DAY, YOUR BODY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COPE, AND WEIGHTLOSS WILL SLOW DOWN AS YOUR BODY THINKS IT'S STARVING.
  • Options
    Kath2003, I think you're overly worried about calories.
  • Options
    It worked for me. And I eat HEALTHILY. Counting calories soon teaches you you'd rather have 2 apples than one packet of sweets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kath2003
    It worked for me. And I eat HEALTHILY. Counting calories soon teaches you you'd rather have 2 apples than one packet of sweets.

I suppose I'm just lucky. My exercise consists mostly of taking the dog for walks that go on for miles and miles at a time. That, and I can eat anything and never gain any weight.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I suppose I'm just lucky. My exercise consists mostly of taking the dog for walks that go on for miles and miles at a time. That, and I can eat anything and never gain any weight.

Yup, walk 10,000 steps a day and you can add another 200 calories to the diet AND still lose 1lb a week! Walking is the best form of exercise for slow weightloss - blitzing the gym for two weeks works, but only if you keep it up for the rest of your life. Walking is easy, free and you do it without even noticing!
  • Options
    Yup, walk 10,000 steps a day and you can add another 200 calories to the diet AND still lose 1lb a week!

I'm not sure how many steps I take. For instance, I walk the dog an average of about ten miles every single weekend. He needs it, and doesn't complain when he gets it. It means I get to eat all kinds of rubbish, and the calories are worked off pretty quickly. I'm always eating - why, I've got a chocolate digestive in my left hand right now.
  • Options
    10 miles is around 20,000 steps. So yes, you can afford to scoff chocolate digestives ;)
  • Options
    10 miles is around 20,000 steps. So yes, you can afford to scoff chocolate digestives ;)

Woo hoo! :D
  • Options
    Toaday I have eaten
    1 small bowl of Crnchie nut corn flakes
    1 light philladelphia bread stick snack

small portion of roast pork with veggies and mash

cumberland pie, carrots and beans
    bread and butter pudding with custard

and a choc bar

I always hve breakfast, some days I wont eat in the evening, i'll just have lunch and breakfast. Some days i'll pig out then for teh next few days i'll cut down.
  • Options
    I eat too much.
  • Options
    so far today i have eaten

small bowl of coco pops
    mcdonalds double sausage and egg mcmuffin meal
    chicken soup with 2 slices of bread
    4 cherry bakewells
    chicken dinner

sounds a lot but i do excercise and i dont gain weight anymore
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I eat too much.

Me too. Well, sometimes. I don't really want to tote up everything I've eaten today but here goes:

2 Weetabix with semi skimmed milk and a sprinkling of sugar
    1 slice of wholemeal toast with marmite
    A cup of coffee with semi skimmed milk
    Some Brazil nuts
    Some chocolate fingers
    Chicken Super Noodles
    Some baby sweetcorn and mangetout
    Vegetable and lentil stew (I made this myself, get me...) with a slice of wholemeal bread
    Grapes
    Cup of Peppermint Tea
    Cup of Raspberry and Echinacea tea

Hmmm, now I feel like a pig :( But some days I'll eat absolutely loads of crap and some days I'll eat super healthy, it just depends on my mood sometimes. Like today I was revising loads so I needed to snack lots to give me little breaks! And at the weekend I went to visit my boyfriend and totally pigged out on the most unhealthy stuff imaginable. I don't even want to go into that... my god I must have consumed several weeks worth of calories!

Also, I don't do much exercise at uni, apart from loads of walking and running around like a madwoman working behind a bar which actually seems to burn off quite a lot, especially hauling around huge trays of glasses. In the holidays I go running or swimming fairly regularly but can never seem to find the time up here! I really should start soon, I can feel all the pounds starting to creep on again...
  • Options
    fruit and fibre breakfast bar.
    bacon and egg muffin.
    cup of crappy tea from a klix machine.
    big trip choc cookie
    chips and southern fried chicken thingy.
    ribena
    tea
    crisps
    tea
    ha
    sausages, mashed potato and carrots.
    yoghurt
    bounty ice cream

haha

i do no excersise except horse riding once a week.

(im only 8 1/2 st)
  • Options
    Breakfast, lunch, some munchies in between, dinner, more munchies in between and then something to eat at night before going to bed like toast or cereal.
  • Options
    4 slices of toast
    some sweets
    pie,mash potato,carots,peas
    choc muffin
    2 choc mousses
    2 packets of crisps and more later.
  • Options
    generally i eat loads, cause i'm trying to gain weight. i eat dead unhealthily too, but better that than nothing. i want my arse back :(

but this past few days i've lost my appetite a bit, so haven't been eating much, yesterday i had:

2 x cinnamon grahams cereal bar (i read that they contain almost as much calcium as 1/3 of a pint of milk. so normally i have three. but could only manage two yesterday)

packet of worther's original (am an old woman)

pasta salad with bacon and tomato

4 mini sausage rolls

packet of salt and vinegar discos :yum:

pizza hut pizza. meaty one. got a medium, but coudn't finish it, so will have the remainder for breakfast today :)

at work i drink juice and water, and at home, generally pepsi max, if i can lay my hands on it. prefer full fat pepsi, but my teeth don't :(
  • Options
    Yesterday I pigged out - shame on me :( but I was feeling really rough with a cold/temperature...

I had...
    fat free raspberry yoghurt
    porridge with semi skimmed milk & raisins & sugar
    one slice of wholemeal bread with a tiny bit of low fat cheese
    porridge with semi skimmed milk & raisins & sugar
    half a can of baked beans, oven chips
    slice of wholemeal bread with phillidephia light
    go ahead caramel crunch bar
    glass of red wine
    two cups of tea
  • Options
    Today, I've had...

* Cadbury's Chunky Crunchie Cake Bar x 3 (one mid-morning and two when I got home from work)
    * Two seeded (sesame and soya seeds, I think) wholemeal bread rolls with tuna in lime and black pepper dressing
    * Small tin of Heinz Spaghetti Bolognase with three small slices of white toast with butter
    * Three glasses of Ribena
    * Glass of semi-skimmed milk
    * Four cups of tea (white, no sugar)

That's probably an average day for me. Would normally have something more substantial in the evening, but usually something with chips rather that "real" vegetables. I'm trying to eat healthier (hence seeds in the bread buns and no mayo!!) cos I know this much junk can't be good for me, but I'm 5ft 7, a size 6/8 and weight about 8st 6lbs so I'm not worried about my weight - I've always been thin and no amount of junk makes me pile on weight!
  • Options
    Other people say I don't eat enough. I say I eat too much. Other people say I am thin. I say I am fat. I could probably tell you everything I've eaten this week. For I am slightly obsessed.

/freak