Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Updating Drivers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In My Computer > HDD (C:) > Hardware I noticed the drivers were a bit old so I went through the wizard to update them but the thing says that it cant find a newer update. I would have thought there would be one as it says the drivers are from 2001. It also says the manufacturer is Microsoft (for all of them) Is this right?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Updating Drivers
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    In My Computer > HDD (C:) > Hardware I noticed the drivers were a bit old so I went through the wizard to update them but the thing says that it cant find a newer update. I would have thought there would be one as it says the drivers are from 2001. It also says the manufacturer is Microsoft (for all of them) Is this right?
    The drivers are by microsoft because they came with windows. Hard drives don't need driver updates, as far as I know.
  • Options
    zalbor is right, hdd's dont need drivers. but there are a few support tools for certain hdd's developed by third parties.

the microsoft drivers are usually shipped inside the XP cd as a means of getting a basic functionality out of the box. the only one that really might need updating is graphics card drivers and soundcard/motherboard drivers.

but if it aint broke don't fix it :)
  • Options
    Yes, hard drives don't tend to need updated drivers but the IDE bus will. When you install your motherboard chipset drivers, the IDE/USB/1394 will all be updated to give (near-)maximum functionality.