Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ecstasy body tolerance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does E's tollerance dissapear with time?

because about two months ago when i last dropped i would normally have to take two or three to get the same affect, but i havnt dropped in two months and i plan on doing it next weekend (got a great party to go to) and i was wondering if two months without taking E would take away the tollerance in some way?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    yes you're right, tolerance grows with use, i'm sure bong will provide a scientific explanation
  • Options
    abstinence brings tolerance levels down again.
  • Options
    Naturally enough the more you take something the more you get used to it, hence the tolerance.

With time off those pills your tolerance will drop, especially in your case with 2 months.

Enjoy your next drop, it'll hit you good and strong.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there are only a few users who can continue to get the same effect from MDMA as they did from the first few uses.

There are of course several theories about this, there is the possibility of permenant brain damage, but this is yet to be proven in decent scientific study. Dont believe the 'holes in your brain' scare for example.

There is also the theory that the mind and body just gets used to the drug, the relaxing effect on the emotions and the physcological barriers people have is something we may get used to. Therefore the 'flood' of emotions might not be the same.

To be frank though, if you have over done it then you're very likely never to get back that 'first rush'.

Your tolerance will decrease though and the quality of the experience is likely to increase if you leave longer gaps inbetween each use.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is an interesting article titled MDMA loss of magic on Erowid that touches on this topic, and I have quoted the following paragraph from this page, which is well worth a look as well.
    Most users of MDMA who have taken the drug many times report that after some number of sessions, varying by person from a few to a few dozen, the desirable effects of the drug are no longer as pronounced... This MDMA effect dropoff might be explained by a psychological mechanism: loss of novelty. (On the other hand, people who have experienced MDMA effect dropoff generally report that there is not a similar dropoff in the effects of other psychedelics with which they are equally or more experienced, e.g. LSD and DMT.) Or the dropoff might be caused by lasting neurophysiological or neurological "changes" to the brain from exposure to MDMA, the prior state of the changed structures being necessary for ecstatic MDMA experiences. It is an as-yet-unanswered question whether such changes, if they happen, are best regarded as harmful, neutral, or beneficial.

My advice would be to dose low and see how it goes.
  • Options
    I dont think it hugely surprising that people loose the novelty, the MDMA experience can be quite 'samey' it isnt a very complex drug in its effects. Unlike the hallucinogens.
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    Excellent, thanks for your replies.

Not a problem, I'm always willing to answer questions.

(even if apparently I come accross as a self-rightous know it all)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I dont think it hugely surprising that people loose the novelty, the MDMA experience can be quite 'samey' it isnt a very complex drug in its effects.

That's why I prefer pills to pure MDMA.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    That's why I prefer pills to pure MDMA.

Yes, but then by taking un-tested and obviously variable pills you're putting yourself at more risk.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yes, but then by taking un-tested and obviously variable pills you're putting yourself at more risk.

I know.
    But I don't give a fuck TBH. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Not much to be said to that is there, your choice.
  • Options
    basically here in malta is a pilling heaven...

as far as i know you will not get the full effect of a bean unless u let a whole month pass since ur last drop... tolerance levels built up with use but after a month tolerance level is virtually nil and the full effect can be enjoyed as much as ur first times pilling...
  • Options
    I don't think that's true about not being able to feel the full effects if you are dropping often. Awhile ago I dropped 4 times in 7 days, all week house party...:crazyeyes and each time the full effects were felt, and my friends also reported the same. I do think though that negative effects do start to set in, I don't think I have ever felt so bad the few weeks after, those days are over now..
  • Options
    There is no set time for your tolerance to come down, or for you to get the first time experience back.

Every user is different, my brother did pills every weekend for about 18 months before stopping and he still didnt take that many (maybe 4 or max 5 a time).

Where as friends of mine have lost the 'magic' quite quickly after not going out that often.
  • Options
    dropping often means taking more than one pill at a time several times a month. in the beggining i would get the 'full effect' of a pill including a long rush and stuff. with the same pills, i now have to take 5 to reach that same level... if i take less now i either would not go up or just have the feelings of the pill as in getting chills and stuff.

also i barely sleep at night. getting a good nights sleep the night before beaning is very important to come up well...
  • Options
    Originally posted by jlateo
    basically here in malta is a pilling heaven...

as far as i know you will not get the full effect of a bean unless u let a whole month pass since ur last drop... tolerance levels built up with use but after a month tolerance level is virtually nil and the full effect can be enjoyed as much as ur first times pilling...

As bongbuddah said, there is no set timeframe for your body to replenish the seratonin levels in your brain. In fact, some studies have pointed out that there is a danger that the levels of seratonin in your brain never go back to their original level after taking MDMA. See the page on MDMA Neurotoxicity from Erowid for more information.
  • Options
    But what does that actually mean?

What is a 'normal' level of this or any other neuro transmitter?

There are still many many questions surrounding the chemicals explanations of mental health.

BUT having said that, I think its sensible to assume that neuro damage is not really a desired outcome.
  • Options
    That is part of the problem about doing this kind of research though, isn't it? Finding the 'normal' levels, as it varies from person to person. In this particular neurotoxicity study, they tested rats (and extrapolated the findings to humans), using the baseline levels of serotonin before any MDMA was used.

And it is all quite specualtive at this point, because not enough research has been done and we are taliking about an immensely sophisticated and complex system. However, I think you can safely say that there is absolutely no guarantee that your serotonin levels will return to their previous level one month after taking MDMA etc. In fact, they aren't even sure that is what causes the 'loss of magic'.
  • Options
    Those rat tests are in the main completely pointless though because they never actually give the rats comparative amounts of the drug.

Virtually every test gives the MDMA IV, something that NEVER happens among clubbers.

They also tend to give high doses over a short period, which doesnt reflect well upon what clubbers and recreational users do.

And every now and then they make fantastic errors and conduct tests with methamphetamine rather than MDMA, ooops.