Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I hate uni computers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Its not fair! my girlfriend is halfway around the world and i was hoping to chat to her on the uni computers in the library but they have uploaded a program so that i cannot download msn :( Why the heck am i paying tuition fees? its not as if im getting anything out of it :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://webmessenger.msn.com/

Use that, you don't have to download anything, its MSN but it works from an internet page!
    You know in your T&Cs how it says "the computers are for academic use only", yeah?

Well, that's what it means.

Why should I have to stand around waiting to type out an important essay just so you can talk to your bird? Get an international phonecard, they're not that expensive.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You know in your T&Cs how it says "the computers are for academic use only", yeah?

Well, that's what it means.

Why should I have to stand around waiting to type out an important essay just so you can talk to your bird? Get an international phonecard, they're not that expensive.

MEOIW!! alright mate chill! :) well if your uni was like mine there should be hundreds of computers for you to use and not just wait for the one i'm on. Besides if you just want to type something up then why dont you do it at home? that or you shouldv'e typed it up earlier :D

Thanks for the website groovechampion i'll use it soon ;)
    kermit's point being in the hypothetical situation that he doesnt have a computer at home. not all uni students do!
    Originally posted by simba
    MEOIW!! alright mate chill! :) well if your uni was like mine there should be hundreds of computers for you to use and not just wait for the one i'm on.

Yeah, hundreds of computers for thousands of students.

MSN is blocked for a reason...
    Besides if you just want to type something up then why dont you do it at home? that or you shouldv'e typed it up earlier :D

Why don't you chat at home?

Their essays are more important.
    It has to be said, if I caught someone at it I'd be pissed. Why should I go to another IT room somewhere else on campus because you're fucking cheeky. If I'm not using the computer at home it's none of your fucking business.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    MEOIW!! alright mate chill! :) well if your uni was like mine there should be hundreds of computers for you to use and not just wait for the one i'm on. Besides if you just want to type something up then why dont you do it at home? that or you shouldv'e typed it up earlier :D

The number of times I got pissed off because there was some cock using a computer for crap in a full lab when I had an essay / whatever (uni related) to do was unreal. The computer labs at uni were all relatively small but there were lots of them so once I got to one lab I didn't fancy getting wet / cold to go to another. And, for the record, I didn't have access to a computer at home / my flat so I couldnt do it there.

I have no sympathies to your plight, sorry.
    :naughty:
    The computers here (Sussex) are mainly very quick... though the easiest to get access too are very outdated

I have my own laptop, which I do a lot of work on. It can access the internet from various wireless areas around campus. I mainly use the internet to message my friends (MSN/AIM), as it is important for my sanity to keep in touch with them

However, when my laptop was broken for several weeks... I was restricted to doing my work on the campus computers.
    There were waiting times as I expected... but nothing too major. However, referring to the point above, suggesting that it is wrong for people to be using msn messenger.... I don't think it is. Most people were using web messenger when I was waiting for a computer... but you have to realise that they need to keep in touch with their friends for as little expense as possible. If you wanted to type up the essay so bad you should have gone to the computer rooms at a time when you knew that they would not be busy (9am is usually a good time)
    but why should that be at the expense of people who do actually need to do work?

if it's banned then it's banned for a reason, or go chat to your mates at a time when it isn't so busy. :rolleyes:
    May i just say that i for one only use chat on rare occassions and i do it either in the morning or at night when its not that busy but you guys didnt give me a chance to explain. :rolleyes:

I think chat is just the same as using the internet full stop. I mean how many of you guys now are surfing the internet for your own personal use hogging up "work" time for other ppl??? At least with chat you can do your work at the same time. hmm a case of the pot calling the kettle black me thinks.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    May i just say that i for one only use chat on rare occassions and i do it either in the morning or at night when its not that busy but you guys didnt give me a chance to explain. :rolleyes:

I think chat is just the same as using the internet full stop. I mean how many of you guys now are surfing the internet for your own personal use hogging up "work" time for other ppl??? At least with chat you can do your work at the same time. hmm a case of the pot calling the kettle black me thinks.

Just for the record, I was not just referring to people that chat on uni computers when people need them for work. I was referring to anyone who uses them for any sort of crap (thesite included) whilst there is a queue for a computer. I shall also point out that if there is a queue then I would not have used the computers for needless shit like this as it is not fair to those who are doing work/need to be doing work.
    We have a policy at my uni that people who need to do academic work have a high priority for computer use, email is medium priority and personal use is low priority. If you're using the computer for a low priority use, and someone wants it for a higher priority use, you have to give it up, which seems fair enough for me.

I don't have my own computer at uni so the only way I can do the things I want to do on the net (ebay, msn, forums etc) is to use uni computers. However I'd be completely willing to give up my computer if they were all taken and someone obviously wanted to do academic work, especially if they asked me. I don't think it should be banned necessarily, I just think some common courtesy and thought would go a long way.

am at home at the moment and have my own compuetr whn i am at uni. the one year i didn't have a net connection where i lived i just went and used the computers at about 10pm onwards. was ncie, i ahd the whole computer lab to myself :)

Hardly, people use the internet to research university projects. If there were someone in the room wanting to work then I'd have no problem giving up a computer. You're just fucking selfish.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Hardly, people use the internet to research university projects. If there were someone in the room wanting to work then I'd have no problem giving up a computer. You're just fucking selfish.

Excuse me but theres no need for that sort of language!!

i never said that if someone was waiting for a computer i'd sit there and do my own thing, i'd get up and leave!! you jus ASSUME that i'd do that which i posted before, if you'd bothered to read them, that i only do it when its not busy. Oh and by you being on this site now YOU yourself aren't selfish??? HYPOCRITE!
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    am at home at the moment and have my own compuetr whn i am at uni. the one year i didn't have a net connection where i lived i just went and used the computers at about 10pm onwards. was ncie, i ahd the whole computer lab to myself :)

THAT'S WHAT I DO!!

If the posters on this message board had even BOTHERED to look at the time that i wrote my first post they'd see that i wrote it at 9.54am thus i came into uni at 8.30am to chat when I was the ONLY person there when everyone was still in bed and had no reason to come in!! but NO you guys didn't see that did you? you just ASSUMED that i do it all day. Please read posts carefully in future. i was merely stating my views i didnt plan on ppl getting all holy than thou on me jeez! :rolleyes:
    Excuse me but theres no need for that sort of language!!

i never said that if someone was waiting for a computer i'd sit there and do my own thing, i'd get up and leave!! you jus ASSUME that i'd do that which i posted before, if you'd bothered to read them, that i only do it when its not busy. Oh and by you being on this site now YOU yourself aren't selfish??? HYPOCRITE!

No, I've got my own computer.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    No, I've got my own computer.

yeah you would wouldn't you?
    yeah you would wouldn't you?

Shut up, you don't know shit about why I've got a computer.
    I just got back from Uni of Sussex.

Computer network there is very fast

I gave my cousin an old 486 laptop to use in his room when he first went to type up assignments and put them on to a floppy and print at uni. You only need a very basic PC for type things.

But over the weekend I took him an old Pentium 2 Desktop which has much more stuff on it and fine for what he needs to do.

The really dumb thing in Sussex is the lack of internet access from the Bedrooms. I can understand it if it meant rewiring buildings, etc but these days with WiFi they could simply add a few more wireless hotspots to the campus instantly.

Allowing people internet access formt heir rooms would greatly reduce the number of students queing to use the PC's in the labs! Some of which are like Sauna's

I don't know how up they are on technology, I noticed the TV Signal in their TV Rooms were crap and saw the cause, they're using the old style VHF Antenna when we're now using UHF signals for TV's.