Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

quit?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i really want to quit my course. i'm in my second year doing music, but i just don't enjoy it anymore.

but then i dunno if that's just the depression getting me down and thinking like this. i don't have a clue what i would do if i left. i just cant stand the pressure of music any longer, i'm meant to do about 5 hours practice a day, and i just have no motivation and no concentration. I'm just letting everyone down so should i just leave.

dunno if this should have been posted in this part of the board, or what i really expect people to say in return, but ohwell, just thought i'd post it!

sadsong
xxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You should be talking to your tutor or your mentor, really.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Hey there, Sadsong, it's your friend Stargalaxy here. I'm not sure where this has come from. We've talked quite a bit before, and you seemed to love the course when we did discuss it. My advice would be keep talking to us here, or you can always talk to me on MSN as we have done before. You aren't letting me down, babes. You just need to think of what you want, I'll support whatever decision you make. I think the world of you, and just want you to be happy.

Your friend, Danny
    xxx
  • Options
    hey man, dopnt give up, i know that things may seem stressful at times, im not entirely sure waht course you are doing but i have just begun A-levels and during the first few weeks i wanted to give up entirely. i know that this may seem over tht top but i wanted my school life to end and didnt think that i had what it takes to do it. but after just getting on with it i realised that i was unhappy because i was behind as i started late and i firstly found it very hard to adapt. but you are a second year student, so the conditions are very different but i felt the same as you.

dont give up, you will regret it after, and you have done the first year you may as well do the second as you would have wasted a year of your life for notheing.
  • Options
    Re: quit?
    Originally posted by sadsong
    i really want to quit my course. i'm in my second year doing music, but i just don't enjoy it anymore.

but then i dunno if that's just the depression getting me down and thinking like this. i don't have a clue what i would do if i left. i just cant stand the pressure of music any longer, i'm meant to do about 5 hours practice a day, and i just have no motivation and no concentration. I'm just letting everyone down so should i just leave.

dunno if this should have been posted in this part of the board, or what i really expect people to say in return, but ohwell, just thought i'd post it!

sadsong
    xxx
    I'm a 2nd year as well at stirling uni and verging on becoming a complete and utter drop-out, if its your course that's the problem man then just change it?
  • Options
    Re: quit?
    Originally posted by sadsong

You want Fame...

... Well Fame costs

And right here is where you start paying!!!

That was the beginning to the TV series FAME

Anyway switch to something you do enjoy, but would help if you said what you did and did not enjoy anymore .. you must have some talent to be doing Music .. so think hard ebfore giving it up!!
  • Options
    You should be talking to your tutor or your mentor, really.

:yes:

totally 100% agree.

The university that you are at have a vested (as well as i would hope, a selfless) interest in you passing your degree and passing as well as possible.

They will be able to discuss your situaton with more astutely than can be done here. They will also be able to suggest and put in place things that could help you deal with any other external pressures that are hindering your academic progress. They are there to help, so i would suggest making a list of all the factors troubling you about the course and (as Kermit rightly said) discussing them with your tutor.

Hope you can work something out :)