Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Criminal Convictions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Think this is the right forum...

I am currently trying to get a job with the Home Office through an employment agency. Because of it being government work I'm required to sign a confidentiality agreement, but also I have to fill in a form about any previous criminal convictions I may have.

I was given an on the spot fine last may for disturbing the peace and being drunk in public. I didn't receive a caution or anything, just got an £80 fine. Is this a relevant enough conviction to be put on the form? Would a minor offence like this affect my chances of getting the job?

Comments

• Options
    This link may help you out.
    This on-the-spot fine isn't a criminal conviction so you don't HAVE to say anything, but think about the consequences if they give you the job and then do more checks later on - it may be better to just be honest about it now - it's unlikely to affect your position as a potential employee.
  • Options
    Cheers.

I didn't put it on the form, but I'll mention I've had a fine for a minor offence when I'm at the interview. The question was definately worded as "a caution or being convicted of a crime in court" but it also asked about motoring offences so it made me wonder if they did want to know about minor things.
  • Options
    It depends what type of disclosure you are having to get.

A full disclosure will show up that offence I would think, a standard one wouldnt.

The site for that is www.disclosure.gov.uk I think.