Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Britney

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I am the first to admit i like Britney Spears, maybe a little too much for a guy not in his teens.

i think that she keeps on getting better and better. her music is alot better than it has been (lot less bubblegum pop more club pop) but it is her public image that i think is fantastic. In the past year her camp value has skyrocketed.
The whole Vegas 2-day marriage -> her wedding to Kev and the whole (for the want of a better word) trailer trash progression.

Really i want to know what do people think of her at the mo? (both musically and publicly)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Toxic was a good tune.
  • Options
    Re: Britney
    Originally posted by capetownsun
    I am the first to admit i like Britney Spears, maybe a little too much for a guy not in his teens.

i think that she keeps on getting better and better. her music is alot better than it has been (lot less bubblegum pop more club pop) but it is her public image that i think is fantastic. In the past year her camp value has skyrocketed.
    The whole Vegas 2-day marriage -> her wedding to Kev and the whole (for the want of a better word) trailer trash progression.

Really i want to know what do people think of her at the mo? (both musically and publicly)

i have no problem with people saying that they like pop and they like certain pop songs, it is of course your taste in music, but britney spears is NOT, i repeat NOT a musician, she hasn't got anything musical about her, she doesn't even sing live, what a cop out for real fans, she seems to be getting sillier by the moment publically, i really didn't mind the sweet innocent catholic thing but when she started smoking and being "bad" it just got ridiculous, i really do think that she naturally is a sweet innocent girl but just adapted to this new image to suit a new market, what a weird woman, i'd tell my record company to fuck off if they told me to change.
  • Options
    Britney has writing credits on her last albulm so i wouldn't be as harsh as to say she isn't a musician.
    Also it is in the nature of the pop machine to make artist change their image as often as thier underwear so i wouldn't critisise her for that (major 'pop' record companies have alot of influence).

I do join in your critism of her not singing live. I'm sure most people would of prefered to see less costume changes and to have her sing live on her last tour.

I think now we are seeing the real Britney....Smoking, Drinking, Fast food and marriges aplenty. I think it is brill. This 'Trailer Trash' apperance i am sure is not record company driven (how could it be?).
  • Options
    Britney has writing credits on her last albulm so i wouldn't be as harsh as to say she isn't a musician.
    Also it is in the nature of the pop machine to make artist change their image as often as thier underwear so i wouldn't critisise her for that (major 'pop' record companies have alot of influence).

I do join in your critism of her not singing live. I'm sure most people would of prefered to see less costume changes and to have her sing live on her last tour.

I think now we are seeing the real Britney....Smoking, Drinking, Fast food and marriges aplenty. I think it is brill. This 'Trailer Trash' apperance i am sure is not record company driven (how could it be?).

i'm almost sure, record companies manipulate artists so they fit in with the new trend, sadly, these days the new trend is to wear the shortest skirts and strut your stuff, image should have nothing to do with music, thats what makes me sad these days about the state of music, it's all about image, and i've heard some of britney's lyrics, amateurish at best.
  • Options

All publicity is good publicity...apparently.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i'm almost sure, record companies manipulate artists so they fit in with the new trend, sadly, these days the new trend is to wear the shortest skirts and strut your stuff, image should have nothing to do with music, thats what makes me sad these days about the state of music, it's all about image, and i've heard some of britney's lyrics, amateurish at best.

Pop music has always been like that.
  • Options
    She's really gracefully shifted gear to a new style, no grating or anything, I'm quite impressed.
  • Options
    I think she is just attention grabbing, and she's setting a bad example to children. No, it's not her "Prerogrative". She shouldn't have gone on all these kiddies programmes and magazines in the first place promoting her squeaky clean image. She turned herself into a role model, she knew what she was getting herself into.
  • Options
    Won't somebody think of the children!
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i'm almost sure, record companies manipulate artists so they fit in with the new trend, sadly, these days the new trend is to wear the shortest skirts and strut your stuff.

Yup, and the pathetic truth is that I know girls in their twenties who'd wear a plastic bin liner if Britney started wearing one.

I don't think she's great, but she's had a couple of good tunes. I prefer Xtina's voice, even though she's clearly a dirty whore too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    I don't think she's great, but she's had a couple of good tunes. I prefer Xtina's voice, even though she's clearly a dirty whore too.

*Dirrty ;)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. She's had a few good songs (Toxic, Slave 4 u - even with the lame spelling - and Boysg) and she's fit and that's all there is to it as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    She shouldn't have gone on all these kiddies programmes and magazines in the first place promoting her squeaky clean image. She turned herself into a role model, she knew what she was getting herself into.

Eh?

She was a young teenager when her career started, yeah?

If I was a 15/16 year old girl and some fat American guy in a suit waved $$$$$$$ in my face and told me he'd make me a star, I wouldn't exactly be thinking "Now hang on, all this $$$$ is fine and dandy, but I'm gonna have to think about the rights and wrongs of being a role model to teenage girls in the 21st Century! No thanks Sir, I'll just stick to my $3 pocket money instead!!"

Perhaps not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Eh?

She was a young teenager when her career started, yeah?

If I was a 15/16 year old girl and some fat American guy in a suit waved $$$$$$$ in my face and told me he'd make me a star, I wouldn't exactly be thinking "Now hang on, all this $$$$ is fine and dandy, but I'm gonna have to think about the rights and wrongs of being a role model to teenage girls in the 21st Century! No thanks Sir, I'll just stick to my $3 pocket money instead!!"

Perhaps not.

She was already 18 and she was still doing all this "I'm a Christian" rubbish. She shouldn't be having these 2 day marriages and simulating oral sex on stage anyway. She should either accept her responsibilities or stop admitting people under 18 to her concerts.
  • Options
    I'm a 21 year old heterosexual male who likes Britney.

As I've said before, I'll take Britney over the derivative, greetin' faced pish I see passed off as "real music".

I'm going to have to go and listen to my fusion cds to make up for this admission.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite
    I'm a 21 year old heterosexual male who likes Britney.

As I've said before, I'll take Britney over the derivative, greetin' faced pish I see passed off as "real music".

Same here.

Except I'm not quite heterosexual and I'm not 21 for another 9 days.

But yes, I agree :thumb:
  • Options
    Pop music has always been like that

eerrr , The Beatles?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    eerrr , The Beatles?

The Monkees?