Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Q&A: Will I be sued for music-swapping?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For anyone who wants some info on file swapping and the basics check the link below. Not the most in depth of Q&A's but its worth a read. Might answer any questions people have. Might also be useful for any Noobies who join who have any questions covered by this. :)

Q&A: will i be sued for file-swapping

Comments

• Options
    bittorrent is thy solution :-)
  • Options
    One word. Leech ;<.

You say BT Nooglet, you are still sharing.
    The industry is targeting uploaders - those who make available tracks in their collection for other people to download - whether it is one song or a million. If you are an uploader, you are infringing copyright and run the risk of being sued.

IF you do share then use Protowall to block anti P2P badies. It won't keep you 100% safe but it will make it a little more harder for the people to get ya.
  • Options
    I unshare all my files. I am teh selfishness ;(
  • Options
    It is not illegal to download, it is only illegal to upload.

You cannot steal intellectual property, you can only offer it without the owner's permission.
  • Options
    yeah but they're only really going after the people who upload silly amounts, or have huge collections,
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    true ... but if it takes you 5 days on emule to get an album, you're uploading the bits you already have for those 5 days solid whilst waiting for your bits.

or something :p

Firewall off the port that is used to serve your downloads, and you're sorted.

Of course, then the whole essence of file sharing kinda collapses. Whoops.
  • Options
    You cannot steal intellectual property, you can only offer it without the owner's permission. [/B]

i have not taken the IP course yet but i assume you must, this one time, be speaking rubbish.

theft of IP is just as culpable as theft of tangible things?
    for example you mite have heard that Halo 2 was leaked to the internet recently. microsoft press statement said that we consider the download of this material theft.
  • Options
    If you do that with eMule then you'll wait for ever to download a file because eMule goes on how many files you upload I think so if you have none or you don't let it act as a server as well as a client it will take a lot longer for you to download the file your after. eMule is shite any way, it's so slow.

tbh, I still class downloading music, etc. theft.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat

tbh, I still class downloading music, etc. theft.

Me too, and I'm pretty sure that various law courts would as well, despite this "cannot steal IP" stuff. Breaching copyright is theft and you are doing that by creating another copy of the original.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheSovereign
    i have not taken the IP course yet but i assume you must, this one time, be speaking rubbish.

for example you mite have heard that Halo 2 was leaked to the internet recently. microsoft press statement said that we consider the download of this material theft.

halo 2 is a product, not intellectual property. At least I think
  • Options
    Me too, and I'm pretty sure that various law courts would as well, despite this "cannot steal IP" stuff. Breaching copyright is theft and you are doing that by creating another copy of the original.

Here's a quote from the CyberCrime website..

"We are here to send the message that those who steal our intellectual property will be prosecuted. This is theft, pure and simple.". That's american but you can read about IP here

Copyright
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheSovereign

You cannot steal intellectual property. This has been shown in various cases, the most prominent of which was someone who stole the question papers for an Oxford University exam. All they stole was the paper.

Of course, it is illegal to offer anything up that is copyrighted without the owner's permission.