Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Linux please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok. I'm trying to get net access from both Mandrake Move & Knoppix but both cannot not find my wireless network card, only the one that is onboard. I don't reckon it supports it so I won't be able to use any Live distro.

Anyone had any probs with getting a network to work on anyting like this?

Comments

• Options
    A uni mate of mine managed to connect to NTL 600 (now 750) thru a normal LAN card. The difference between Linux and Windows was that he had to force a static IP address in Linux. This then worked fantastic. Retreiving web pages in Linux was so goddamn quicker as well!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    A uni mate of mine managed to connect to NTL 600 (now 750) thru a normal LAN card. The difference between Linux and Windows was that he had to force a static IP address in Linux. This then worked fantastic. Retreiving web pages in Linux was so goddamn quicker as well!

Linux has no problems obtaining a ip address via DHCP. I have confirmed this, as i have connected to the internet using DHCP with NTL before.
  • Options
    I will connect VIA DCHP. What kinda setting to I need to put into Linux for this to work?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I will connect VIA DCHP. What kinda setting to I need to put into Linux for this to work?

if you're using knoppix, it should obtain a ip address via dhcp automatically, well at least it did for me.

If your using mandrake then you should have the option in the installation to use DHCP.
  • Options
    I'm using Mandrake Move, the Linux Live distro.