Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Ubroadband??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What the fuck! i cannot get any real info on this. Since i am living in a unite building, this is going to have to be my choice of DSL..i know it goes "live" tomorrow and you get your username and password to log on once you pay your money. But what about hardware? modems? software? i cannot figure out how I can get on without any of this and i dont think they send you out anything either.

Help would be outstanding. :-)

Comments

• Options
    I take it your in the States? If they don't send you a modem then you will have to buy one from some where like PC World. A standard Broadband USB modem will cost you around 30ish bucks.
  • Options
    no, i live in aberdeen scotland.

and i am 99% sure you do not buy your own modem or anything..really.
  • Options
    I've never heard of this sort of thing.

You will either need a network card and a piece of CAT 5 cable to link to a hole in the wall, or you would need some kind of cable or dsl modem, but it would depend on the type of broadband that you are being provided with.
  • Options
    If your from Scotland then go to www.adslguide.org.uk - it will tell you everything you need to know, k?
  • Options
    i think everyone has misunderstood
  • Options
    Originally posted by x .beepbeep.
    i think everyone has misunderstood

So explain what you're on about better.

What is a unite building?

http://www.ubroadband.net/
  • Options
    From what I can gather from the info here.

You are in student accomodation? (Garthdee?) All the rooms will be kitted out with local LAN.

Check out the minimum spec on the link from NaCN.

It states you require a network card and network cable. It would appear you simply plug your PC directly into the network socket in your room and away you go. (You probably will need to get your account info, login name/password).

No need for a router/modem/etc, on an individual basis as looks like it's all handled centrally.
  • Options
    A mate of mine in Scotland is on NTL 750. They loan you a LAN/USB modem for the duration of your custom.

I'm certain that Scotland is just as well connected with the main providers as in England. With BT, you have to buy your own ADSL modem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat

With BT, you have to buy your own ADSL modem.
    i didn't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    A mate of mine in Scotland is on NTL 750. They loan you a LAN/USB modem for the duration of your custom.

I'm certain that Scotland is just as well connected with the main providers as in England. With BT, you have to buy your own ADSL modem.

well it depends with NTL, if you have NTL digital then you dont get given a cable modem as the cable modem is built into the NTL Digital Set Top Box, however if you dont have NTL digital, then a cable modem is loaned as you said above.