Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Saturday Jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a wonderment as to how many of you older people had Saturday/weekend/evening jobs when you were my age (16) and at college and stuff?

Just my mum's getting really stressy at me because Lizzy has a job and I DON'T. Not that I don't want one...just nowhere I want to work will have me.

Franki-Chicken
x

Comments

• Options
    It's hard to get a Saturday job without experience, unless you go and work at Maccy D's.

I didn't have one, GWST did, and she had to start at Center Parcs, which is, like, the shittest job ever- she thought Burger King was an improvement :lol:
  • Options
    I've applied for BK actually...haven't had anything back *sigh*.

Tesco's turned me down...twice. As did various other places. It's kinda disheartening.

Although, I refuse to work at MacDonald's.
  • Options
    Getting a saturday job is possible at 16, print off a CV and hand it to anything going and soon enough someones bound to contact you. Ive been working at Clarks for over a year now and im only 16. It's not SO bad...
  • Options
  • Options
    I got a part time job at the begining of yeay 12 at Tesco, and i still work there now (oh dear) For what you do i think the Tesco wage is pretty fair to 16 year olds, when i 1st started it was £3.85 and hour and goes up depending on how long you work there for and your age, but now if you are 16 and start work your basic wage is £4.10 i think (Well it is at my store) And if you are over 18 like me and have worked there for over a year you get the amazing grand total of £5.60 wooho :p and time and a half on Sundays which is good if you are at college and stuff.

Some jobs my friends had were, cleaning hotels, in tea rooms, part time shop assitant, glass collecters in pubs, and helping out at the local farm. Send your CV of to a wide range of places, my job was the 1st one i ever applied for and they rang me up for an interview within 2 days of handing my application form in so i guess i was lucky.

GWST - what was so bad about working at center parcs? it always looks such a fun place!
  • Options
    Originally posted by beans
    Send your CV of to a wide range of places

I did that already. I got maybe 5 out of the 20 places write back to me (this is over a month ago by the way I sent them). Only one sent me an application form, and that was Burger King.

I've filled in application forms for places, but some of them are like "what skills could you contribute to [insert company here]?" and I'm like, well, none. And they're all "why do you want to work for [insert company here]?", FOR THE MONEY obviously.

Thing is...I don't like lying to people...
  • Options
    Now is the ideal time to apply because stores always want more staff over the christmas period. They may only take you on for this time but if you're good then they'll keep you.

Get some of the Christmas application forms (Argos, Boots, WH Smith ect all have them out in the stores) and fill in the hours that you can work as weekends. They need someone for every shift so they might well want to take you on.

I've just applied for several jobs this way as I'm at college during the week and although it's really annoying when companies don't bother replying or constantly turn you away it's still worth the effort. I've just got a job because of this (start on monday night) :D

Oh yeah...on the 'what could you contribute?' bit just put that you're friendly and willing to learn, that kinda thing. It doesn't really matter if you don't have certain skills, just as long as your personality and willingness to work shines through

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx
    Now is the ideal time to apply because stores always want more staff over the christmas period. They may only take you on for this time but if you're good then they'll keep you.

Get some of the Christmas application forms (Argos, Boots, WH Smith ect all have them out in the stores) and fill in the hours that you can work as weekends. They need someone for every shift so they might well want to take you on.

I've just applied for several jobs this way as I'm at college during the week and although it's really annoying when companies don't bother replying or constantly turn you away it's still worth the effort. I've just got a job because of this (start on monday night) :D

Oh yeah...on the 'what could you contribute?' bit just put that you're friendly and willing to learn, that kinda thing. It doesn't really matter if you don't have certain skills, just as long as your personality and willingness to work shines through

Good luck!!

I have a Woolies Christmas application form. Might finish that at some point...

But I don't NEED a job over the Christmas period, I need one NOW!
  • Options
    They're all starting people off now or early november (only a couple of weeks away)

I think it's your best bet
  • Options
    I know how you feel. When I was 16 and had no experience; it did me nut in when everytime I walked into a shop enquiring for part-time work and first thing they ask is, 'Do you have any experience'?

Ended up I said yea to Claires Accecessories, then in my application form I confessed I had no experience but asked them straight how the hell can I get experience if no one will give me a chance. The woman took me in for an interview, giggled at what I wrote and give me the job ont he spot. Ohh and that was a christmas job I applied for and then was offered a permanant place with them after the new year.

I have had plenty of knock backs before and after that. Is hard. But don't let that put you off. Right job will come along.

Helps if you print out loads of CVs also mention what hours and days you can do. So there's no confusion for you or the employer that may want to take you on; and go round the shops in person and ask if they are looking for part time workers. If so, hand your CV in with or without an application form that they may ask you to fill out as well.

You should get loads of opportunities between now and the new year with christmas. Even if it's just a temporary job. Least it something extra you can put on your CV when you look for elsewhere after the new year.

Good Luck.
    Xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    Although, I refuse to work at MacDonald's.

You might have to.

They are quite often the only places that will take on staff with no experience.

I was lucky and got taken on by tesco with no experience, but even then they had me out in the car park pushing trollies. Which was actually a very good job, it must be said, I like being outside.
  • Options
    Give it time. It wook WHSmith 6 months to get back to me and I started working there on a Sunday when I was 17.

The company going downhill is nothing to do with me
  • Options
    It's hard to find a Saturday job at 16/17 as nearly every other 16 and 17 year old also wants one. I looked for a job the whole time I was 16 and was never sucessful.

Eventually I got a job as a waitress, then a glass collecter in a trendy bar. Waitressing is not too bad, just lie and say you have experience, and you get tips too. Glass collecting is easy but means late hours.
  • Options
    I started at WHSmiths when I was 15 for about 5 months (Christmas time), and left just after I turned 16. I then had 7 months off living off what I earnt there, and then got a job at River Island in October 2001 when I was 16. I worked there until 3 weeks ago (3 years!) and now I work for Habitat.
  • Options
    I worked in BHS and Au Naturale over Christmas when I was 16, Next at Xmas when I was 17, then started working where I am the now at 17 going on 18 and here I am to tell ze tale.

Anyhoo, try EVERYWHERE for Xmas temps. Like, EVERYWHERE.

You'll get pennies soon enough. :)
  • Options
    Most shops prefer people with some form of experience so even if it's a short term cleaning job, potwash or something, it gives you the first step you need.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Eventually I got a job as a waitress, then a glass collecter in a trendy bar. Waitressing is not too bad, just lie and say you have experience, and you get tips too. Glass collecting is easy but means late hours.

The only problem with that is that I'm a bit...erm...accident prone. Especially when it comes to all things breakable...
  • Options
    I have a job, have done for about 15 months. I love it. I work in the kitchen of the pub in my village, and do baguettes and desserts every sunday from 10:30-3:30/4. It suits me down to the ground because it doesn't interfer with my school work and although it doesn't pay much (£20 per week) the convenience outweighs that. I say try a pub! you might be able to get a kitchen assistant job or something.
  • Options
    I started working temporarily over Christmas in Virgin Megastore when I was 16, then went on to work at Co-op in the furniture department when I was 17. My wage at Virgin was 4.25 an hour and at Co op it was 4.66 plus comission, so quite reasonable for both jobs.
    I've filled in application forms for places, but some of them are like "what skills could you contribute to [insert company here]?" and I'm like, well, none. And they're all "why do you want to work for [insert company here]?", FOR THE MONEY obviously.

I know you said you don't like lying to people, but you have to look at it from the companies perspective - they want someone that is suitable for the job and is willing to put effort into the work, not just someone who is completely out for themselves and is likely to leave after a couple of months. When they ask what skills you can contribute, just say that you're a friendly and outgoing person so you think you would be suitable for working in a retail environment, that you are always punctual, and that you are hardworking and a fast learner. To be honest, most people have all these qualities but its the ability to be able to pick them out in yourself and put them forward that employers value. Anyone can apply for a job just because they want to, you have to give yourself the edge over other applicants.

Also, it might be helpful to draw on experience you've gained at school/college, eg. IT experience, if you've been involved in any projects or anything at all that have required you to work with other people to show you're capable of working efficiently as part of a team and on your own.

Even if you don't want a temporary Christmas job, a *lot* of places will consider taking you on full time if you've worked well. Even if they don't take you on, the experience of having in worked in retail or whatever for even a couple of months will be viewed positively by future employers.
  • Options
    Ok, so I got a job now :) sort of...

He's gonna ring me to let me know when I can start. It's weekend work and Christmas work at Toymaster in Freeport...how cool am I :D
  • Options
    my first job was in boots when i was not-quite 16, and i think i earned something like 2.95 an hour and thought it was the best thing ever. i worked from then pretty much right up to now, and full time in the summers, except for a couple of years when i was too ill.

my first year at college (same age as you) i worked weekends and 3 nights a week after lessons. the summer after my GCSEs i did 40 hours a week at a bank customer services department.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i worked weekends and 3 nights a week after lessons.

That's what I wanna do...Except all the places I would be able to work without breaking something wouldn't be open by the time I got back from college (half 5 we get back to Brainshite). But I'm so glad somewhere has finally said "yes, we have jobs, and yes, we're prepared to take you on" it's sooooooo cool.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks Hannah :)

I have a trial at Toydome tomorrow, and an interview at Burger King on Monday (they rang me lol) :)
  • Options
    My first saturday job was for Lloyds chemist in 1995. I earned £1.53 an hour and I worked 5 hours a week. And they took 23% tax off that too for some reason (I got it all back in the end). When I left 2 years later I was on the grand sum of £1.96 an hour. I left because the Spar shop up the road offered me £2.75. Wooo.
  • Options
    I've never had a Saturday job. Infact, I've never had any job in my life. I've never needed any money, never went out, never wanted to buy anything. Just looking at this thread, I've fallen into total despair. I've got no chance anymore.
  • Options
    You should try and get a job...

Work today was GREAT :D I need to go into BK tomorrow and cancel my interview...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    My first saturday job was for Lloyds chemist in 1995. I earned £1.53 an hour and I worked 5 hours a week. And they took 23% tax off that too for some reason (I got it all back in the end). When I left 2 years later I was on the grand sum of £1.96 an hour. I left because the Spar shop up the road offered me £2.75. Wooo.

should have defected to boots! i got 2.95 in early 1997, and then in the summer it was put up to £3.05. hefty indeed.
  • Options
    I get £5 an hour (ish) :D

My first job and everything....it's so cool :D :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    You should try and get a job... Work today was GREAT :D I need to go into BK tomorrow and cancel my interview...

I should do, but considering I have no experience, I'm not exactly brimming with enthusiasm. Plus, the jobs that are in this area are not encouraging. Still, it's nice you enjoy your work.