Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Upgrading my PC

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basicly i am gutting my pc and been looking about,

what do you think of these. any good/bad points?

Motherboard
Processor
Hard drive
Ram (two lots)
Graphics card
PSU

have u forgot anything i would need, I know the Graphics card is not the best but im on a tight budget, all that is £255 including P&P

what ya think?

Comments

• Options
    the motherboard is cheap and very nasty, aim to spend around 70 quid on a motherboard, maybe 60. buy it from a decent performance retailer, like gigabyte or abit or someone.

also , the graphics card is a bad generation, not sure if it'll even run the latest games, try getting a ATI Radeon 9800SE or better, you can pick up an SE for about 100 notes.

i definately woulden't combine good hardware with a shite motherboard (that's the trick that retail manufacturers sting you with) and personally i'd justify spending another £50 on graphics to get the 9800SE or pro model.

hth!
  • Options
    thanks, just kind of a tight budget so have to be careful,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    thanks, just kind of a tight budget so have to be careful,

Sacrifice other things in favour of a quality motherboard, even if it means using on board sound for a while, for example.

I'd get a Western Digital drive over the Maxtor one. I'd also get either the SATA version, if you have a suitable motherboard, or go for a smaller drive. We used the 250Gig standard IDE ones at work and they were more prone to errors / failure than the smaller ones.

Other things to consider are your graphics card (see other thread), the memory (branded stuff is better) and that the PSU is somewhat on the cheap side.

To be honest, if I was on a tight budget I would try to buy it in stages and get more quality components over a longer period of time.
  • Options
    Oh, and if you got yourself a decent 939 pin motherboard and an Athlon 64 939 pin type then you could upgrade more easily later on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Oh, and if you got yourself a decent 939 pin motherboard and an Athlon 64 939 pin type then you could upgrade more easily later on.

thanks..
  • Options
    Also, if you're not bothered at all about build and component quality, then places like Tiny will do you a cheapo system.

If you want quality, then you have to pay the £ for it. Somewhere like www.overclockers.co.uk will ship you a bundle that is pre-tested and quality kit.
  • Options
    Also, if you're not bothered at all about build and component quality, then places like Tiny will do you a cheapo system.

If you want quality, then you have to pay the £ for it. Somewhere like www.overclockers.co.uk will ship you a bundle that is pre-tested and quality kit.

yeah, i just want something play good games with and will last, also good speed :)
  • Options
    yeah, i just want something play good games with and will last, also good speed :)

Thing is though you have to pay for that. Good game playing machines require stability as well as speed which means top quality components.
  • Options
    Ok how much do ya think im looking at? also did i forget anything on the list (i got a soundblasater 6.1 soundcard I can use so im happy with that)
  • Options
    i paid under 400 for my comp without monitor:

new Gigabyte mobo
    2800 barton
    akasa fan
    ati radeon 9800se
    maxtor (take that mist :P) 120gb hdd
    uhh, 512mb of cheapo ebuyer value ram

ive tried to spend the most on the cpu and graphics and tried to get a decent board to go with it, dont think i did too bad. maybe was a but cheap with the ram, was only a tenner more for some better stuff but whatever :)
  • Options
    Sounds great noog, thanks
  • Options
    I disagree with the motherboard comments .. never heard of this fox make do they have a website?

I'd first of all look for a manufacturer that does have online support and drievrs, etc but just cos it's cheap doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

I built a PC using a £32 Asrock motherboard which looks a lot like the one you gave and it is by far one of the best systems I've made, everything is integrated and works perfectly.

HOWEVER looking at the other bits like your choice of hard drive and graphics card they don't really match with your choice of motherboard.

I'd also frown against having one huge HD, what happens WHEN it crashes cos it will sooner or later?

My main Pc has a 20gb drive just for windows and office, etc and upto 3 removable HD's for other stuff!!
  • Options
    heh, cheap hardware is just a royal pain in the arse. I remember a geforce 2 i bought from maplins, it was like way cheap, and made by this company who i hadn't heard of, and when it was compared against one of the leading brands it just got absoloutely and utterly lashed by it, my friend had the same specs with a graphics card he paid £20 on and the difference was just off the head. needless to say i took it back.

okay so maybe because it doesn't cost much doesnt *always* equal poor quality, but as a general rule of thumb you pay for quality, whether it's computer parts or anything. putting 300 quids of hardware into a 20 quid mobo is just retarded.
  • Options
    Anyone know any good sites or what would be good?

I need help making an affordable but decent well relatively decent not top of the range specs, 2 + ghz and relatively large HDD as I have lots of Data

Any help is much appriciate, I'll look around for what you suggested specially the Radion 9800se

Also if you look most the items i selected was the most expensive the website has
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I disagree with the motherboard comments .. never heard of this fox make do they have a website?

I'd first of all look for a manufacturer that does have online support and drievrs, etc but just cos it's cheap doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad, but in my experience the better, more stable, components have been the more expensive ones.

I'd definitely go for a brand like Asus or Chaintech over something I'd never heard of.

You take a choice I suppose. i've paid out a whole load of cash for my new computer. When it turns up (which should be tomorrow hopefully) I'll be able to start to see if it was worth the extra dollar.
  • Options
    Ok looking around I came across this, what do you guys think? It'd be for my bro's pc as he's upgrading aswell
  • Options
    Ok looking around I came across this, what do you guys think? It'd be for my bro's pc as he's upgrading aswell

I think it would help if you included the link!!

And I REALLY think you should pay an extra £30 or so and get a 2nd smaller drive (20gb to 40gb) for windows and programs and use the huge 200+ GB one for your data.

You can also use the 2nd drive for the windows swap file to boost performance!!!
  • Options
    Cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad, but in my experience the better, more stable, components have been the more expensive ones.

I'd definitely go for a brand like Asus or Chaintech over something I'd never heard of.

Asrock are a divison of ASUS and they produce some pretty nice all in one boards.

Certainly for reliability the all in one boards are very good choice and easier to build for the less experienced

other quality names are

Gigabyte
    Aopen
    MSI

Abit I know in the past were a bit unstable always pushing to squeeze every last bit out of a machine, don't know what they are like these days!! Aopen were fantastic inthe days of the AMD K6-2 offering a full 1MB of 2nd level cache which hugely boosts Window Performance .. my sister happily uses windows Xp on a 350MHz machine!!
  • Options
  • Options
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2339961770&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=56695

Any good card? only 128mb though? the others are £200+

Personally I'd recommend staying away from ATi

They produce so many cards that they can't be bothered to keep supporting them half the time with software updates

I think Nividia do a much better job of improving the drivers, etc - without good software the hardware is useless

Same reason I stay away form anything with Sony in the name and needs software!!
  • Options
    Well so far its £312

512 DDR333 pc2700 extra value DIMM

MSI K7n2 Delta2 platinum SKT A nforce2 FSB 400DDR 6ch sound gigbit Lan SATA firewire retail box

AMD athlon Xp2800+ 333mhz FSB 512cache l2 cache CPU barton

Ebuyer 500w power supply blue with dual fans

Sapphire Radeon 9800se 128mb DDR AGP 8x DVI - I tv out light retail box

all with help of noog and from Ebuyer

(not ordered but probable)
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Personally I'd recommend staying away from ATi

whatever !