Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

ReBirth / PHATT Interview - October 2004

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
ReBirth/PHATT Interview
By Justin Sane (October 2004)

I caught up with Pierre Pienaar (aka ReBirth / PHATT) prior to his Australasian Tour to find out a little bit more about him and exactly what he has in-store for us at Fragile on Friday 5th November 2004.

So how did you first get into hard dance production?

I've always been interested in the production side of things from an early age, so I got a copy of eJay once and started fiddling around with it, but obviously I couldn't really do much of my own work on it. Then I got myself a copy of Fruity Loops and tried remaking tunes from the likes of BK, Edison factor etc.

Where do the names ReBirth and PHATT come from?

I wish I could say that there was a cool story behind those names, but unfortunately there aren’t. With ReBirth it was just me and a mate brainstorming on DJ names one day while having a boring History lecture, and I came up with ReBirth and it stuck. As for P.H.A.T.T. - it just comes from the word "phatt".. It's not an abbreviation for anything.

What has been your favourite release (self made and other)?

The track that I'm most sentimental about is "Darkside" that I did with Alf Bamford, because that was our first release. From my solo stuff it's ReBirth "The Omen" and P.H.A.T.T. - Eternal (which will be released next year, so keep an eye out for that) I'm not even going to start naming other tracks I like, there's so many.

We've heard a rumour that you and Alf Bamford (aka Technikal) have never actually met in person despite having created several tracks together?

Haha, Yes, it's true...We'll be seeing each other in the flesh for the first time on the tour. It still feels like we've known each other for ages though.

What kind of studio set up do you have at home?

It's 100% software based. I have Cubase SX 2 running as my main sequencer, with Fruity rewired through it with all the VST's etc...I don't really feel the need for Hardware as I can get all the sounds I want to from the VST's I have. For a detailed outlay of my studio, check the studio section on my website at: www.rebirth-productions.co.uk

You have a SAE Audio Engineering Diploma, how useful have you found this with regards to your productions?

Well, to be honest most of the things I know of production was self-taught...With the diploma you go more into recording and running a true studio setup, i.e. hooking up the microphones to a drum kit etc . Where it did help a lot though is in understanding exactly how kit works, especially for mastering purposes. It also covered a huge chunk about the business side of the music industry which is very important to understand; otherwise you can get screwed over.

Do you have any aspiring words of wisdom for upcoming producers out there?

Just keep at it, and believe in yourself, and listen to other people's opinions. It takes a lot of hard work to get up to a standard where your productions are releasable, and you'll probably get rejected more than once, but that should motivate you to try harder and up your standards.

Have you found your location (Namibia, South Africa) restricting at all in establishing yourself as a hard dance name?

Yeah, definitely, it's not been easy. People over here can't really relate to what I do and don't know the style of music. But the internet does help to move things along, so it isn’t all bad.

What DJ/Producers are your biggest influences and who would you most like to work with?

Ben Keen (BK) is one of the biggest influences Hard House-wise. In the trance world producers like Dumonde, Signum and Alphazone always amazes me. At the moment I've got the best collaboration partner I could ask for in Alf Bamford, but if I had to choose someone else then those above mentioned would definitely be my pick. I'd also like to work with Ingo and Mik Cree (aka Dynamic Intervention who engineers for Justin Bourne) as I love the energy in their productions.

Where do you see the scene heading in the next 5 years?

Personally I'd like to see things going the melodic way again (like the good old '99 trance). As for Hard house I want the energy to come back in, as thing have been very techie influenced over the last year or so. It's apparent that things will also move more

With releases on Tidy Trax, Honeypot, Dynamix and Passion, what do you still want to achieve as a DJ/Producer?

I still have to pinch myself every morning to make sure that I'm not dreaming. I feel very privileged that I've made it so far in such a short space of time. I'd like to venture into other styles of music as well, and even do the odd commercial track here and there. I've alos got plans in the pipeline to have a live act and to setup my own record label for both Trance and Hard Dance. For now I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing and hopefully more doors will open for me.

What are your feelings on MP3 digitial download sites such as Trackitdown and IMODownload?

I'm quite 50/50 on it, as I'm one of those people that want to keep onto vinyl as long as possible, but it's a good way to expose more people to the music, because most people don't have turntables so they can't buy vinyl, and end up downloading them from file sharing programs. At least now the producers can get a bit of the money back. IT's also good for DJ's that are touring, as you can get new releases easier and quicker.

Advantages and disadvantages of Vinyl vs Cds?

Vinyl will also be my no.1 choice of weapon when playing out, but it also takes up a lot of space and it's heavy when travelling. With CD's you can travel a lot lighter, and you can play out upfront tracks of yourself to test out crowd reaction.

What direction do you see your own music going in the future?

I'll be doing a lot more melodic trance with my P.H.A.T.T. alias and more energy-filled, no-nonsense Hard House with my ReBirth tracks. I'm focused more on making tracks that gets a crowd moving rather than trying to be ground-breaking. At the end of the day it's all about having fun!

What do the people who come to Fragile have to look forward to?

They'll be able to see 2 DJ's who doesn't take themselves too seriously, and just want people to have a good time. And you'll be able to poke fun at our foreign accents...what more can you ask for?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didnt read all that because I have no idea who he is.

BUT, did you know where the word PHAT comes from? It stands for Pussy, Hips Ass and Tits. Its an East Coast US thing I believe.