Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Iceland - What to wear?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm thinking of booking a mini break to Iceland for me and my bf in February / March time.. We wouldn't want to go skiing (do they even ski in Iceland?!) but quite fancy sledge rides, pulling along by huskies, etc etc and all that malarky! Question is, what would I need to wear? Do I still need ski gear? Am just thinking of any additional cost, that's all... Any ideas, anyone? :S
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't been to Iceland but when I was in Lapland the temp dropped to minus 40 so I guess you'd need similar attire! I'd suggest thermal undies as a must - they are comfy and keep you warm without being so layered up that you can't breathe or move! The cold in Lapland was a very fresh cold, though - although the temo was really low, it was crisp and nice rather than drizzly and grim like it is here! Enjoy and let us know what it's like...
    :)
  • Options
    MykeMyke Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Strangely, Iceland is a lot more mild than its name suggests.

I was there in December/January and was knee deep in snow for most of my time, but I was told that it was unseal for Reykjavik to be that heavily hit. I guess if you venture away from the cities you would be almost guaranteed snow. The temperature in Reykjavik was on average +3 to - 5

One thing not to miss while you are there are the Northern Lights. You have to be patient and pick the right night, but it is well worth it.

Don't expect to see much daylight, I didn't see the sun for 4 days - I think it was rising at about 10 and setting at 2.

As for what to wear:

'During wintertime tourist should bring warm clothing, warm coat, mittens etc. Iceland has many swimming pools, usually with geothermally heated water. Hence, in either season a visitor should bring a swim suit. '

Talking of swimming, don't miss the Blue Lagoon (http://www.bluelagoon.com) while you're there. One of the weirdest experiences I've had is having my hair freeze (Honest!!) while swimming in very hot water.

If money is going to be tight, I'd shop at supermarkets and cook your own food (Obviously not all the time). I found it very expensive to eat out (Apart from the little hot-dogs you can buy on the street. Very cheap, very tasty!).

You’ll have a great time. Its one of the most interesting, if expensive (£6 a pint anyone?) places I've been to.

Myke

For more information check out:

http://www.vedur.is/vedurfar/yfirlit/climate_info_en.html

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/europe/iceland/