Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

FAO all drivers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never met anyone who admits to tailgating, yet people do it to me all the time. Strange that.

Who are this mysterious race of people (quite frequently drivers of 'executive' cars) who terrorise me so frequently, and who seem to have forgotten the golden 'two second' rule?

Comments

• Options
    I do it at roundabouts, but it's mostly unintentional, I drive a big powerful car that accelerates faster than the car in front, so I end up right up their arse without meaning to, before dropping back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I do it at roundabouts, but it's mostly unintentional, I drive a big powerful car that accelerates faster than the car in front, so I end up right up their arse without meaning to, before dropping back.

Umm hmm. If you know you do it, why don't you adjust your acceleration a little? ;)
  • Options
    Re: FAO all drivers
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I've never met anyone who admits to tailgating, yet people do it to me all the time. Strange that.

Who are this mysterious race of people (quite frequently drivers of 'executive' cars) who terrorise me so frequently, and who seem to have forgotten the golden 'two second' rule?
    slam your brakes on a couple of times ...if he crashes into you your two grand in pocket straight off for that whiplash injury to your neck.
  • Options
    Re: Re: FAO all drivers
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    slam your brakes on a couple of times ...if he crashes into you your two grand in pocket straight off for that whiplash injury to your neck.

Yeah, and not only am I minus a car (which is brand spanking new I must add for vanity's sake!) which I need to get to work, but I'll also have whiplash.

Believe me Rolly, I've considered it. I've spent all afternoon being tailgated on a section of the A1... single carriage, 60mph limit, littered with speed cameras etc... and still they won't back off.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: FAO all drivers
    Yeah, and not only am I minus a car (which is brand spanking new I must add for vanity's sake!) which I need to get to work, but I'll also have whiplash.

Believe me Rolly, I've considered it. I've spent all afternoon being tailgated on a section of the A1... single carriage, 60mph limit, littered with speed cameras etc... and still they won't back off.
    go slower and slower and realy piss them off ...stop have a look eound ...then decide to carry on again ...
  • Options
    I just stare into the rearview mirror until they get the message. If it's dark you can put on your fog lights as a subtle hint.

But it is very annoying and very dangerous. :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    I just stare into the rearview mirror until they get the message. If it's dark you can put on your fog lights as a subtle hint.

But it is very annoying and very dangerous. :mad:

Thank you, I'm glad someone agrees, because when I discuss it with people I know they all seem to agree, but don't seem as riled about it as me.

The problem is it distracts me. I get so wound up by the person behind me (esp. if it is dark and their lights are blinding me) that I start to spend more time staring in the rear view mirror than at the road ahead, which makes me a dangerous driver. Grrr!

I didn't even notice this before because I didn't have my own car, I drove my dad's, so rarely went on any long trips, but now I have my own I like getting out and about but have noticed just how tailgaters are.
  • Options
    Umm hmm. If you know you do it, why don't you adjust your acceleration a little? ;)

Yeah, I'm still not a very experienced driver, and while I don't rear-end people I need more practice on not having a sharper acceleration gradient.
  • Options
    Both my friends do that. The only times I'm scared when driving with others is when they tailgate.

Went with my friend for the first time yesterday, twice I thought she was going to crash into the car in front of her. :X
  • Options

But the cost of your car will be reimbursed fpr, you'll be provided with a courtesy car within a day, all at cost to his insurance company, you wont lose your no claims bonus either.

Then you can take a few weeks off work, paid for by his insurance company, wont suffer whiplash but obviously the effects of it were there ;)

What i find even worse is the (usually female) drivers that sit in the middle lane, tooterling along at 65mph on the motorway, you cant pull into the fast lane to overtake them, because your having to go so much slower than the cars in the fastlane because your stuck behind this car, you cant undertake because its dangerous and illegal... Just frustrating!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: FAO all drivers
    Originally posted by Slap'n'Tickle

What i find even worse is the (usually female) drivers that sit in the middle lane, tooterling along at 65mph on the motorway, you cant pull into the fast lane to overtake them, because your having to go so much slower than the cars in the fastlane because your stuck behind this car, you cant undertake because its dangerous and illegal... Just frustrating!

There isn't actually such a thing as a 'fast lane' :p I hate anyone who sits in the middle lane, but I don't think there is any need whatsoever to become gender specific. I've never been the victim of a female tailgater, but didn't draw attention to this fact!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FAO all drivers
    There isn't actually such a thing as a 'fast lane' :p I hate anyone who sits in the middle lane, but I don't think there is any need whatsoever to become gender specific. I've never been the victim of a female tailgater, but didn't draw attention to this fact!

Well in your case, and i agree in most cases tailgaters appear to "usually" be male - Perhaps we feel more confident as drivers, or are just in too much of a rush.

And by "fast lane" i merely meant the one intended to overtake and such.

Anyway just apply your brakes the next time you have a tailgater, not too hard, but just enough so he taps the back of yours, then pull over, start dribbling, and say your neck aches and you feel like you left your legs at home :(
  • Options
    I was the victim of a female tailgater yesterday. On a national speed limit road. It took her an age to decide to overtake me, getting closer to my bumper all the time. Idiot. I gave her a stare as she went past. :D

There are plenty of old duffers who clog up the middle lane though.
  • Options
    I gave her a stare as she went past. :D

Did she look back? I've noticed that idiots rarely look back because they know they're in the wrong. Yesterday I was turning left on a 30 mph road in a very built up area and the idiot behind pulled out into the other lane, with oncoming traffic, to overtake me because I was obviously turning far too slowly for his liking! I just glared at him, but he kept his eyes on the road ahead, probably because he was trying his damned hardest not to collide with the vehicle coming the other way.

I should really leave this thread altogether now because I'm just so riled!
  • Options
    I assume you mean turning left? They don't really look back but you can tell they know you're staring at them. :D

I like ranting about bad drivers. There's so many of them.

Another thing that annoys me is drivers not moving into an empty overtaking lane when you're trying to join a dual carriageway. It's not hard. You just need to keep an eye on the road ahead and predict that when a car is coming down the slip road it's going to want to join the road. :rolleyes:
  • Options

what i do is rest my left foot on the brake so its not actually braking but the brakes lights are on to give the hint.

failing that slam the brakes on, then floor it :)

taxis are by far the worst offenders, i know its their job but i dont wanna lose my license cos of them!
  • Options
    I assume you mean turning left? They don't really look back but you can tell they know you're staring at them. :D

I like ranting about bad drivers. There's so many of them.

Another thing that annoys me is drivers not moving into an empty overtaking lane when you're trying to join a dual carriageway. It's not hard. You just need to keep an eye on the road ahead and predict that when a car is coming down the slip road it's going to want to join the road. :rolleyes:

I did mean turning left, yes... I edited though. :)

I've proved my point though, there are lots of people happy to slate these bad drivers, but nobody has really admitted doing it yet. I bet some people who've read this thread do it. C'mon... own up!
  • Options
    My mate had a 4x4 tailgater behind him so he slammed on his brakes & the 4x4 drive wasn't paying attention so went into the back of my mate.

My mate got a new rear bumper & rear boot panel for the 4x4 drivers trouble of being an inconsiderate arsehole.

I'm sure the 4x4 driver learnt a little lesson & won't be tailgating for a while unless they don't value their insurance very highly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Amnesiac
    what i do is rest my left foot on the brake so its not actually braking but the brakes lights are on to give the hint.

if it's daytime, you can also put your lights on for a sec. when the person behind isn't paying attention (which, if they're up your arse, they generally aren't), they'll see red lights, think you're braking and panic.

but yeah. we drove 2 hours up the M1 today and were nearly taken out by several idiots.

and i think the middle lane drivers are usually men. really old men.

bad women drivers do that thing where they sit on the motorway inside lane doing about 65, so you think you'll overtake. and the minute you draw level with them, they speed up. annoying.
  • Options
    Blonde women are the world's shittest drivers, and they should all be banned from the road.

Oh, and anyone who uses a "Baby on Board" sticker should be forcefully liberated from their legs.

I was stuck behind some cunt on the A1 Gateshead Western Bypass doing 45 in the outside lane, I gave up in the end and went past on the inside lane. Fucking twatface, I hope he got hit by a bus.

The A1 Gateshead Western Bypass is full of dickheads, I always end up cross on the road. I've just had my head shaved too, so I scare the living fuck out of everyone :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Blonde women are the world's shittest drivers, and they should all be banned from the road.

• Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

You're not quite blonde enough to count:p

blonde + woman + perm = should be executed.

blonde + woman +perm + baby on board sticker = shouldn't. it'd be too good for them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Amnesiac
    I'd suggest trying that in neutral on a deserted road first. I did once 'cos I thought it would be a good idea and accidentally did an emergency stop. I think it was just that my left foot is used to pressing the clutch fully, so it did the same with the brake :o

Not recommended as a way of getting rid of tailgaters. :no:
  • Options
    I'd suggest trying that in neutral on a deserted road first. I did once 'cos I thought it would be a good idea and accidentally did an emergency stop. I think it was just that my left foot is used to pressing the clutch fully, so it did the same with the brake :o

:lol::lol: first time i tried it that happened to me! i was going up a big hill with a 4x4 behind me. You dont realize the difference in force between the clutch and brake.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm here to admit that I'm a horrible driver. If some one is driving slower than I would prefer to go and they are in front of me I will ride their ass. If somebody is a dick to me on the highway, once they pass I will ride their ass, if I'm sick of waiting at a light to turn left I will just go and hope that the oncoming cars stop. Yellow lights mean speed the fuck up to get thru it no matter how far away you are. I've even been known to do my nails during long drives. Admittance is the first step to recovery. However because I live in the mental mindset where I believe that the world owes me and I am the master of the road, my driving habbits will not change any time soon :p
  • Options

Is this cause your going at 20 in a 40 limit by any chance,

Im afraid I was tailgating as only this weekend was stuck for a couple of miles, going 20 in a 40 limit, and I waas being tailgated by the cars behind,
  • Options
    She was doing 55-60 opn the Morpeth-Felton stretch of the A1 in Northumberland. Quite a reasonable speed for what is a dangerous road.
  • Options

Busses are far more environmentally friendly :lol:
  • Options
    don't use your brakes if they're tailgating - change gear. much more fun.