Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Uni-Less... What Now?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right, after hating London Met, I decided to leave and take a gap year and re-apply to somewhere else next year.

But now, I'm stuck for ideas as to what to do for the next year. I've looked at college and all the courses suck.

My main problem is that I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life *and I didn't before - even at uni!* nor do I have any particular interest in any subjects offered at college or uni...

Any ideas!? I don't want to be a bum for the rest of my life - I enjoy money too much!! Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just work for a bit, temp here and there, get a taster of a few different industries.

Take up some classes, dance, drama, art, see if any of them bites you.
    When I left college, I had decided to take a gap year and then go to university. But personal problems got the better of me, and now I'll be going to university starting next year. Anyway, I've not much idea what to do with my life. I thought of perhaps working in health, in an office, or in education myself. The point is, please do something. I haven't done, and I'm kicking myself for it.
    All this long term planning stuff is rubbish if you ask me, of course do something at uni your interested in, but planning too far in advance is pointless. You never know what might turn up.
    I agree. I'm not planning ahead that far. What I'm doing is simply making aspirations. But uni isn't for everyone.
    why don't you work and travel? its an amazing experience and you'd gain some money by working... australia or america could be welcoming places if you don't want to work at a foreign language or anything.
    Most things are possible when you're at18, I'd say. I almost lost the chance to learn that lesson, but please, do something with your life.
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    why don't you work and travel? its an amazing experience and you'd gain some money by working... australia or america could be welcoming places if you don't want to work at a foreign language or anything.

I'd actually recomend Canada, not only will the locals probably love your accent, but immigration is easier. They have very low unemployment at the moment.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I'd actually recomend Canada, not only will the locals probably love your accent, but immigration is easier. They have very low unemployment at the moment.

They still have rules about getting a work visa though. But yeah, canada is the bestest country. Roo your country sucks
    Re: Uni-Less... What Now?!
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Right, after hating London Met, I decided to leave
    Wow, you really gave it a chance didnt you.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    They still have rules about getting a work visa though.

I know, I wasnt suggesting that they dont.
    I know, I wasnt suggesting that they dont.

The implication was that there were stringent rules, like having a certain set of qualifications for example.
    I'd actually recomend Canada...........immigration is easier.

How is that suggesting that there are stringent rules?
    Re: Re: Uni-Less... What Now?!
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Wow, you really like judging people don't you!? :rolleyes:

Anyway. I went for an interview at my local college, to do a foundation course in Art and Design, so I could apply to a different uni next year. I got to the interview, and she looked through my portfolio. I got the same reply I got from 2 uni's - there's potential, but not enough skill. I was given a place at a Uni, and decided to defer entry so I could do the foundation course for a year - and I've been turned down.

I've been accepted to 2 different uni's for a Ba Hons, but I'm not skilled enough to be accepted onto a college diploma!!!!

I'm so fucked off right now. It's just like being turned down from a job, because I'm not experienced enough - well, I won't be if someone doesn't give me the experience in the first place!!

For fucks sake... Ilora x
    Did you tell them that you gave up your other course? If so that might have been the reason they didnt give you a place as it shows someone who gives up at the first hurdle.
    Well, to be honest I completely agree with RB - how the hell do you know what that uni would have been like when you only stuck it out for 2 weeks?!

You don't settle down properly for a couple of months, and lectures and tutorials take a while to kick off too. I hated uni when I first got there and it was only when I changed my accomodation that I got into the swing of things properly.

You tend to need more experience to do a practical course which is why you can get accepted onto BA courses but not a foundation course. If a foundation course is what you want to do then you need to go and get some experience in Art and Design - either do some evening courses, or try and get a job relating to to the subjects you want to study. Don't sit here whinging. Go out and do it.
    How is that suggesting that there are stringent rules?

The implication in my post. Donkey.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Well, to be honest I completely agree with RB - how the hell do you know what that uni would have been like when you only stuck it out for 2 weeks?!

You don't settle down properly for a couple of months, and lectures and tutorials take a while to kick off too. I hated uni when I first got there and it was only when I changed my accomodation that I got into the swing of things properly.

Agreed. I had real trouble settling in at Uni and the first two terms were pure hell. But then my parents weren't at all supportive about letting me quit. And they were right, it's great now! Just don't tell them that...
    Re: Re: Uni-Less... What Now?!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think that.
    I actually think its a real shame, after seeing you post so excitedly about going to uni, how you were so happy getting a place in halls after bursting into tears in front of the housing officer, because in private rented wouldnt be like being a proper student. It seems like youd built up this fantasy of student life, and when they actually expected you to work, and it wasnt fun and frolicks 24/7 you couldnt bear it and left pretty much straight away with the full support of your mum. I wonder if shes actually doing you any favours, but you seem to believe all these colleges owe you a space, how youre more entitled to courses than other people.
    I do hope you grow up sometime soon, because youve just wasted a great place at uni. You would have probably got a lot out of it if youd given it a chance.
    I do hope you grow up sometime soon, because youve just wasted a great place at uni. You would have probably got a lot out of it if youd given it a chance.

And there's the fact that Ilora took a halls place off someone who was more likely to stick it out.

Oh well, it's nobody else's life.
    They still have rules about getting a work visa though. But yeah, canada is the bestest country. Roo your country sucks

lol, helll no! ive only been to one, so cannot comment about the Americas, but australia so does not suck. you go, and you see :p
    Roo your country sucks

You can retract that now, bitch.
    Re: Uni-Less... What Now?!
    Right, after hating London Met, I decided to leave and take a gap year and re-apply to somewhere else next year.

But now, I'm stuck for ideas as to what to do for the next year. I've looked at college and all the courses suck.

My main problem is that I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life *and I didn't before - even at uni!* nor do I have any particular interest in any subjects offered at college or uni...

Any ideas!? I don't want to be a bum for the rest of my life - I enjoy money too much!! Ilora x

Try to get some idea of what type of career you want to have, and get as much work experience/internships as you can in this year.

You could do EVS (european voluntary service)

Work full time as a temp

I think you are lucky in a way to have some free time to decide what you want to do with your life. There won't be many other times in your life that you have an opportunity like now.

I don't agree with the others saying you didn't stick it out. I wasted 6 months of my life at a uni I didn't like, and ended up dropping out. If you were sure it wasn't for you, then you won't be wasting any more time or money.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth

Ah, now I didn't realise she had only been there for 2 weeks before leaving, so I was actually going to stick up for her.

I left uni after five terms (about 18 months) and I'd hated it from day one. So, yeah... but still, there are some things we just 'know' and I wish I'd had the courage to leave after the first term. Would have saved me £1000s!

Anywho, on to the question. Why don't you just get a job and earn some cash?
    The reason I left in the first week, was because I was offered a place at uni by accident. I was sent an offer letter for this year, when they should've sent me an offer for deffered entry for next year - so I left before I went through enrolement and wasted thousands of pounds on a course at Uni, I shouldn't have been on. (The fact that I hated London, was only part of the reason I left so early)

I was later told by the admissions office, that the Uni should have offered me a place on the 'foundation' course before going onto a BA Hons, but instead sent me an offer for the BA Hons.
    I then applied to do the foundation course at my local college (which I was turned down for!). I have already been accepted back to london if I wanted to next year, and have also been offered a place at a uni college in High Wycombe on the grounds that I complete a years foundation art and design - which I got turned down for by my local college.

Which is now why, I'm screwed!!

Ilora x
    So why on earth did you even go at all if it was a cock-up? :confused:
    Because we weren't told it was a cock up, until the Uni realised what they'd done.

Ilora x
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You can retract that now, bitch.

I was only saying it to rile her up, keep your knickers on.

Canada is pretty cool though.
    Sorry you are having problems Ilora.

Best bet pay if you have to for a 2-hr sit down career's advice session. The careers advisor will do their best to highlight your strengths and point out your weaknesses in a constructive way. They will match your strengths with your weaknesses and take it from there with possible optioons don't give up hope.
    Because we weren't told it was a cock up, until the Uni realised what they'd done.

Ilora x

Didn't you realise it was a cock-up, having applied for deferred entry? I know when I was going through the application process if there was anything slightly wrong looking I was checking it out straight away.