Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Clock

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
The clock on my computer keeps running slow. I'll put it back to the right time every week or so but it still runs slowly, its 11.03 now and my clock says 10.19.
I know how to change the time but how do i stop it happening again?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Double click on the time, then go to the internet time tab, and check the 'automatically syncronise with internet time server' box... and that should do it
  • Options
    How much do you use your computer? If you can, try leaving it turned on for a day. It could be that the little battery that keeps the time has worn down, and it used to be that you could recharge them by leaving the computer running.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    How much do you use your computer? If you can, try leaving it turned on for a day. It could be that the little battery that keeps the time has worn down, and it used to be that you could recharge them by leaving the computer running.

I rarely turn off my pc. It get a restart like once a month.
  • Options
    I've never heard of a PC clock running slow, I mean it's doing several million things per second so an accurate clock is a must in any PC.

The only thing I can suggest is what's been said to sync your PC's clock to an internet time sever

But I'd run spyware and such programs just to check for other things
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I've never heard of a PC clock running slow, I mean it's doing several million things per second so an accurate clock is a must in any PC.
    I've had PC's forget the time, appear to be loosing time, and forgetting all the settings. It's the CMOS battery, which is either a rechargable soldered to the motherboard, or a replaceable battery, similar in appearance to a large flat watch battery.

My housemates computer's clock is loosing time at the moment. The motherboard is old, so the battery is due for replacement. It'd only cost 2-3 quid, but he's not bothered about it.

I've had other people ask me for advice about PC clock problems. When I tell them their computer has a flat battery they give me a :eek2: look. :D
  • Options
    yep seen PC's lose the time cos of the battery going but never running slowly!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    yep seen PC's lose the time cos of the battery going but never running slowly!!
    PC clocks are notoriously bad at keeping time.

I note with interest that they've now got an atomic clock down to around 10 cubic centimeters