Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What book are you reading at the mo?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok, I'll start: On the road by Jack Kerouac
Post edited by JustV on
«13

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Naked by David Sedaris - A VERY funny American writer.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re-reading Interview with a Vampire
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Reading Mr Nice by Howard Marks
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am reading Something Rotten, by Jasper Fforde.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just finished Catcher in the Rye. Hope I don't go kill anyone.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Reading Mr Nice by Howard Marks

    I quite liked that the first time I read it. I re-read it a bit later and you can really notice how he puts a gloss on himself.

    He really see's himself as some sort of cult hero.

    If you like that you should read Snowblind, its similar but much better if you ask me.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Just finished Gervaise Phinn - Over Hill and Dale. Got the 3rd in his series to read but taking a wee break.

    Currently reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner.

    Im also reading "The Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snickett. Im reading the 2nd one at the moment, "The Reptile Room".
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    Hope I don't go kill anyone.
    Hmm.

    Anyway, I'm reading Brick Lane, can't remember who wrote it, but since I began reading it I've read three other novels, all of which were far better, but once I've begun a book I have to finish it, no matter how long it takes me!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    Currently reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner.

    Thats the one with the girl and her letters about philosophy isnt it?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Hmm.

    Sorry?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Thats the one with the girl and her letters about philosophy isnt it?

    :yes:

    its been on my shelf for months but other things keep coming up to be read. only just really started it but ive heard lots of good things about it.
    Anyway, I'm reading Brick Lane, can't remember who wrote it, but since I began reading it I've read three other novels, all of which were far better, but once I've begun a book I have to finish it, no matter how long it takes me!

    are you not enjoying it? why not (if not)? i thought it looked like quite an interesting read.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I quite liked that the first time I read it. I re-read it a bit later and you can really notice how he puts a gloss on himself.

    He really see's himself as some sort of cult hero.

    If you like that you should read Snowblind, its similar but much better if you ask me.

    Yeah thanks i'll give that a try. Stopped reading Mr Nice when i reached the half way point about a month ago, trying to get back into it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have to read Republic by Plato :thumb:

    It's not a fiction book but i still am reading it
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Yeah thanks i'll give that a try. Stopped reading Mr Nice when i reached the half way point about a month ago, trying to get back into it.

    Mr Nice isnt a terrible read or anything, its pretty good. Snowblind is better though.

    You might also want to read PIHKAL by Dr. Shulgin, thats an excellent read.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just finished reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
    Must say was one of the best books i have read, never before have I been so immersed in a book.
    Highly reccommended.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Mr Nice isnt a terrible read or anything, its pretty good. Snowblind is better though.

    You might also want to read PIHKAL by Dr. Shulgin, thats an excellent read.

    Just had a look at the amazon reviews, both seem to be right up my street! Cheers for the recommendation :thumb:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Just had a look at the amazon reviews, both seem to be right up my street! Cheers for the recommendation :thumb:

    PIHKAL is a truely super book, the first half is an autobiography type thing, the second half is relatively heavy science about hallucinogenic compounds.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    You might also want to read PIHKAL by Dr. Shulgin, thats an excellent read.

    Looked that up on amazon too, looks very good, but is it text bookish and quite scientific, or more philopsophical?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    Looked that up on amazon too, looks very good, but is it text bookish and quite scientific, or more philopsophical?

    Hmm, its a huge book, 900 pages odd. The last 400 or so are heavy science, telling you how to make each of the drugs in question (dont bother unless you have a PHD in bio-chemistry and a lab). It then give brief experiences of each. But the first part is actually a really nice story about how him and his wife got together.

    There is also a section on drug law, and a few REALLY good trip reports from different people.

    I highly recomend it, its very well written, very engaging.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A grisham dad gave me after I read the painted house by him, think its called the testament-is very interesting!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im reading Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh as well, finished one of the three mini stories in the book already, and not really impressed.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Im reading Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh as well, finished one of the three mini stories in the book already, and not really impressed.

    Poo Pah! I never got into any of his stuff. Seems set up and contrived to me. 'Hmm, ecstasy is big at the moment, what can I write about that'.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Poo Pah! I never got into any of his stuff. Seems set up and contrived to me. 'Hmm, ecstasy is big at the moment, what can I write about that'.

    This is the first book I'm reading by Welsh, so far its been very disappointing, to a point where you just cant be arsed reading any more.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    This is the first book I'm reading by Welsh, so far its been very disappointing, to a point where you just cant be arsed reading any more.

    I wouldnt bother either if I were you. There are many better writers out there.

    Have you read any Hunter S Thompson?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Have you read any Hunter S Thompson?

    Ive always wanted to read Fear & Loathing, but never have - you read it?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Homicide: a year on the killing streets by David Simon

    The Stone Junction by Jim Dodge

    Isis Papers: the Keys to Colours by Francis Cress Welsing
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Ive always wanted to read Fear & Loathing, but never have - you read it?

    Probably about 6 times, I've got all his books that are actually in print, 12 of them. The others I'll have to buy second hand and they go for about £100+ each.

    Songs of the Doomed or The Proud Highway by him are the best pieces of writting ever penned by anyone ever.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are Songs of the Doomed or The Proud Highway still in print?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Are Songs of the Doomed or The Proud Highway still in print?

    Yep, both of them. The Proud Highway is a collection of letters and Songs of the Doomed is a collection of articles. The first one is £9.99 I believe and the latter was £8.99 when I bought it.

    I'd say go with Songs of the Doomed. Its terrifyingly good, just, well I cant describe how good it is, there isnt a comma out of place, its perfect.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yep, both of them. The Proud Highway is a collection of letters and Songs of the Doomed is a collection of articles. The first one is £9.99 I believe and the latter was £8.99 when I bought it.

    I'd say go with Songs of the Doomed. Its terrifyingly good, just, well I cant describe how good it is, there isnt a comma out of place, its perfect.

    Shit, im gonna have to make you my head book advisor :thumb:

    I'll see if I can get a copy of that.
Sign In or Register to comment.