Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Confused...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well im confused about what i want to do...

I mean i am... ok at college, it's a bit boring but ok I could probably put up with it,

Anyway, I am thinking about asking my uncle about going to stay with him but what education would i do? would i do highschool or could I do college? how would i change due to the age difference? im just curious as it might be a possibility,
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You're not the only confused one. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    You're not the only confused one. :crazyeyes

basicly i finished High school here, but in usa they don't finish till 18, so do i have to go and do it again, or can i go to college over there?
  • Options
    ah right...think it would have helped if you'd said that your uncle lives in the USA in the first post.

I'm pretty sure that you'd have to continue in high school over there as you can't start college til you're 18. I'm not sure how you'd go about it at all. It's a complicated procedure changing to a different school system.
  • Options
    sorry, thanks aswell,
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    why not try a google search or something to try and find out about the education system in USA, legalities and all that stuff. then try and work out your options :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    why not try a google search or something to try and find out about the education system in USA, legalities and all that stuff. then try and work out your options :)

i've been looking at google all night but not finding much, im kind of shit when it comes to research, and i daren't ask my family about it untill i know of any options
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    i've been looking at google all night but not finding much, im kind of shit when it comes to research, and i daren't ask my family about it untill i know of any options

i doubt your family would know much about it. you should ask your uncle maybe (especially if he has kids out there).

also, you are probably not looking for the right things. try searching for something like "american school system" or something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    i doubt your family would know much about it. you should ask your uncle maybe (especially if he has kids out there).

also, you are probably not looking for the right things. try searching for something like "american school system" or something.

thanks, i don't want to ask my uncle if i can before my options,

*clicks on google* thankie laura :D
  • Options
    I don't know a helluva lot about it, but a few of my friends have studied in America and all have done it as a part of University courses. For example, one studied a degree in (I think) British and American Culture at Northumbria Uni and it worked out that students from Georgia State University studied over here for the first year and then they went to Georgia for the second year. I know a lot of other courses offer years abroad as part of the study programme (especially language-based study, although that wouldn't involved going to the U.S) and of course there is always the option of a sandwich year, although it varies from course to course. My brother, for instance, studied for a year in Chicago as part of his Sociology degree. That is of course University (or College, as I believe they call it over there) and if you wanted to study over there at a lower-down level (and of course, a younger age) then University wouldn't be an immediate option. I would guess that it would be a rather complicated process to join up at an American High School, especially if you weren't an American citizen, had already completed mandatory education in your own country etc...as well as the issue of getting into the United States on more than a Tourist Visa anyway. They're notoriously strict about entrance policies, and I know people who have been turned away (granted they were just going to travel, but still...). Without knowing any of this for sure, I also think it's unlikely that the American Education system would be willing to just accept you, although like the Universities there they may do that "sponsor" system which I have heard about in terms of au pairs and nannies who work over there. From what I know, the family (which could possibly be your Uncle) contribute towards the cost of education, provide a permanent address for you to stay at...and I think there are other stipulations, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

To be honest, it must vary from State to State, school to school and I'm sure there's a lot of paper work etc involved. It would be advisable to ask your Uncle, obviously as a resident he will have (and have access to) a lot more info than you do yourself, or you could glean from Google (mine of information that it is...). If you're really serious about it, I imagine you'd have to be a really desirable candidate with great study records, recommendations etc, but I could be talking out my arse ;) To be honest, I think it's a lot to take on merely as a cure for college "boredom", but each to their own.