Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Blair the right-winger

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Excellent. [/discussion]

It's only in its infancy. It will get better, and it will do wonders, but not for ten years.

It's interesting how dr carter made the exact comment I was fishing for: "it's not enough". It should be higher, but I didn't see Thatcher or Major with the Minimum Wage. I didn't even see Callaghan or Atlee with the Minimum Wage, and they were far more "Labour" than Blair is purported to be.
    Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by Kermit
    they were far more "Labour" than Blair is purported to be.
    blair has made it perfectly clear he is not labour ...he is new labour.
    which has turned out in your own words to have bennefitted nearly everyone.
    labour ...had to be ditched ...it was cotton mill mining steelworking labour ...those things are gone ...so is labour.
    new labour ...have spread more wealth than old labour could ever have imagined!
    Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's only in its infancy. It will get better, and it will do wonders, but not for ten years.
    My experience of Sure Start in County Durham and Teesside includes an afternoon at a day nursery for socially disadvantaged (I choose my words carefully) children, where we heard many sad stories about neglect at home, domestic violence, single parent homes with low incomes, and a cycle of teenage pregnancy.

Sure Start is a nanny state initiative, but one of those that is essential if the government is serious about tackling social inequalities and social exclusion.

More money for Sure Start please.

*Torygraph reader :eek: *
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger

Originally posted by Kentish
    My experience of Sure Start in County Durham and Teesside includes an afternoon at a day nursery for socially disadvantaged (I choose my words carefully) children, where we heard many sad stories about neglect at home, domestic violence, single parent homes with low incomes, and a cycle of teenage pregnancy.

Sure Start is a nanny state initiative, but one of those that is essential if the government is serious about tackling social inequalities and social exclusion.

More money for Sure Start please.

*Torygraph reader :eek: *

:)

The facts are that a child is consigned to the scrap heap before he or she even reaches school- from a bad home, they are illiterate, unable to count, they are two or three years in development behind socially advantaged kids. They can never catch this up, they are discarded as "stupid" and the cycle starts again.

Sure Start is probably the most socially democratic thing that any government in this country has ever tried to do. And how many people pay attention? No-one.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Don't overdo it too much ;)
    :lol:
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    blair has made it perfectly clear he is not labour ...he is new labour.
    which has turned out in your own words to have bennefitted nearly everyone.
    labour ...had to be ditched ...it was cotton mill mining steelworking labour ...those things are gone ...so is labour.
    new labour ...have spread more wealth than old labour could ever have imagined!

But notice how he didn't mention 'New Labour' at the conference. I don't know if this bodes well for the future, but it's interesting to note how he's now referring to 'The Labour Party' again.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    who are they then?

Children.
    Students.
    People who are looking for work.
    People who get sod all money from their work.
    People who are unable to work.
    Old Folk.

I can't think of anyone else who needs the government's money to live.

I'm simply referring to people who commit benefit fraud, people who don't pay tax on their earnings (and that includes older people) etc.
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Blair have moved Labour from been a failing left wing trash to centre right where it's winning.

Have you actually read any part of this thread?
    don't really have to.
    ...to have little understanding of the discussion.
    this thread was dead... so i brought it back to life. OK?
    i smiled then mate.
    don't really have to.

No, of course not.

But it might have saved us all the pleasure of your brain fart had you.