Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blair the right-winger

Minimum Wage Act.
Human Rights Act.
Freedom of Information Act.
New Deal.
Sure Start.

Discuss.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Minimum Wage Act.
    Human Rights Act.
    Freedom of Information Act.
    New Deal.
    Sure Start.

Discuss.

Minimum Wage? What a pile of absolute shite. You couldn't live on the minimum wage. It's slave labour.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    Minimum Wage? What a pile of absolute shite. You couldn't live on the minimum wage. It's slave labour.
    before the minimum wage ...jobs were being offered at 2.50 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    before the minimum wage ...jobs were being offered at 2.50 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it's better but it's not that much better. It's still scandalous the amount that people are being paid. It's not really being enforced. I was offered a job two days ago on 4.10 an hour, and i'm over 18.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Well it's better but it's not that much better. It's still scandalous the amount that people are being paid. It's not really being enforced. I was offered a job two days ago on 4.10 an hour, and i'm over 18.
    don't blame the government for that.
    blame the canute who wants to exploit you ...but what would you pay for that particular job to be done for you ...and how?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger

• Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    don't blame the government for that.
    blame the canute who wants to exploit you ...but what would you pay for that particular job to be done for you ...and how?

Sorry, are you asking me what I would pay for the job I was offered if I was managing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    My very first job eaned me £2.38 an hour. Now I am guaranteed at least £4.50 an hour, although thankfully, I do earn much more than that.

Isn't it 4.85 now? I thought it had just gone up.
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    Sorry, are you asking me what I would pay for the job I was offered if I was managing?
    errr .....

yeah.
  • Options
    Has it?

The point still stands though.

As pitiful as £4.85 an hour might be, not one government has ever tried to ensure an adequate wage for workers before New Labour.

Note how Blair didn't rabbit on about New Labour in his speech for once - it's the Labour party again apparently.

It's a start, but it's still not enough. Same with the New Deal. It needs to apply earlier into the unemployment time of 18 year olds. Six months is far too long to sit around on JSA.
  • Options
    My very first job eaned me £2.38 an hour. Now I am guaranteed at least £4.50 an hour,
    and still some fucking shmucks see this as a failure!
    we want ...and we want it right fucking now!
    theres just no pleasing some people is there ...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    errr .....

yeah.

For selling goods in Dixons? Dealing with the customers? Generating major profits without actually being on commission? Above the minimum wage at least. Probably at least 5.50.
  • Options
    Note how Blair didn't rabbit on about New Labour in his speech for once - it's the Labour party again apparently.

It's a start, but it's still not enough. Same with the New Deal. It needs to apply earlier into the unemployment time of 18 year olds. Six months is far too long to sit around on JSA.
    you are a bazillion times better off than people your age in the early 80's.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blair the right-winger
    For selling goods in Dixons? Dealing with the customers? Generating major profits without actually being on commission? Above the minimum wage at least. Probably at least 5.50.
    i agree ...
  • Options
  • Options
    you are a bazillion times better off than people your age in the early 80's.

Big deal. This isn't the early 80's. Black people today are better off than they were 50 years ago, but they're still being discriminated against in certain areas. This isn't the time for looking back and seeing how wonderful we all are. This is the time for looking forward and creating a vision for a better and brighter Britain for everyone.

I don't care about the minimum wage for myself. It'll never be a problem for me. I'll be earning well over it in my first year after my MBBS alone. What i'm concerned about is the welfare of others. I want every person to be able to live in the best possible conditions. I want every person to be able to afford to live and also be able to care for their health. I'd like to see the minimum wage rising more.
  • Options
    Haha, sit around. Not.

I haven't got anything better to do really.
  • Options
  • Options
    Don't be too confident about your future earning potential before you've even started a degree programme.

I don't even have to try and get onto a degree programme. I could walk onto an MChem. This alone would give me plenty of earning potential coupled with my considerable computing skills.

I know it's jumping the gun a bit but I like to think about what i'm aiming for after 5 years of fuck all sleep, abuse, vomit, shit and loads of stress from tons of hard work.
  • Options
  • Options
    Big deal. This isn't the early 80's. This isn't the time for looking back and seeing how wonderful we all are. This is the time for looking forward and creating a vision for a better and brighter Britain for everyone.

big deal!
    this isn't the time to be looking back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if you don't remember yesterday how the fuck do you know how you got to where you are today?
    you feel hard done by ...by looking at yesterfuckingday ...you'll realise we are moving forward ...how we are moving forward ...why we are moving fucking forward and how to avoid going bleedin backwards!!!
  • Options
    I don't even have to try This alone would give me plenty of earning potential coupled with my considerable computing skills.

you are out of touch with reality.

look up the words you used ...potential ...skills ...
    since when did they give such a gaurantee as for someone to not even have to try?
    you just lost.
    with that attitude and outlook i pressume you may well be collecting trolleys from kwiks carpark ...with all your potential.
  • Options
    big deal!
    this isn't the time to be looking back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if you don't remember yesterday how the fuck do you know how you got to where you are today?
    you feel hard done by ...by looking at yesterfuckingday ...you'll realise we are moving forward ...how we are moving forward ...why we are moving fucking forward and how to avoid going bleedin backwards!!!

That's not what I meant.

What I meant is that we should be aiming for bigger and better things, based on what's worked in the past, to make everything more pleasant for everyone, rather than just looking at the past and saying 'well it's better than it was'.
  • Options
    you are out of touch with reality.

look up the words you used ...potential ...skills ...
    since when did they give such a gaurantee as for someone to not even have to try?
    you just lost.
    with that attitude and outlook i pressume you may well be collecting trolleys from kwiks carpark ...with all your potential.

I didn't mean that I don't have to try, I mean that getting onto a degree programme won't really be that difficult. It will take some effort though. Compared to the degree programme I WANT to be on it'll be plain sailing.
  • Options
  • Options
    That's not what I meant.

What I meant is that we should be aiming for bigger and better things, based on what's worked in the past, to make everything more pleasant for everyone, rather than just looking at the past and saying 'well it's better than it was'.
    i thought thats what we were doing ...and especialy looking to the past to see what and why and where ...it mostly went wrong.
    for all the bleakness yuou may see dr ...things ARE moving forward mostly.
  • Options
    i thought thats what we were doing ...and especialy looking to the past to see what and why and where ...it mostly went wrong.
    for all the bleakness yuou may see dr ...things ARE moving forward mostly.

The way you said it though, it seemed like because we're better off than we were 20 years ago, that's the end of it.

I know things are moving forward mostly, but i'd like to see more done to make sure things move forward for those who deserve them only.
  • Options

I know things are moving forward mostly, but i'd like to see more done to make sure things move forward for those who deserve them only.
    who are they then?
  • Options
    I don't even have to try and get onto a degree programme. I could walk onto an MChem. This alone would give me plenty of earning potential coupled with my considerable computing skills.
    The arrogance of youth?
    5 years of fuck all sleep, abuse, vomit, shit and loads of stress from tons of hard work
    Bless ;)
  • Options
    Re: Blair the right-winger
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Sure Start.
    Excellent. [/discussion]