Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Young Ones or Rich Kids?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    its just, well we have better access to technology, thats why

you cant lump students into one catagory, i know rich students, poor students, druggie students, goodie two shows students

as if the young ones really represtented student life before

i saw a better aticle saying its students that are the ones growing up quicker, as msot working 18-21yr olds live at home still due to high rent + low inflation, and just use their money getting pissed, and modding their cars,whilst students have to become independent and make their money go further
  • Options
    Re: Young Ones or Rich Kids?
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Students these days are nowt like the Young Ones

Thoughts?

Have students really never had it so good? Are they all arrogant tossers who don't know the value of money?

Don't call me that :(

I cant say I know from personal experience yet. However apparantly Exeter is the 5th most middle class uni in the country :eek2: So i will report back! Lousy toffs
  • Options
    It's weird really, because given the amount of money accessible to current students (through loans, credit cards, mum and dad, salary etc) you would think they'd have nary a care in the world and could sail through University without ever having to live for a month on beans and noodles. However, it seems that like in every other instance where we see an increase in the amount of spends available (the housing market, for one), the lifestyle becomes increasingly "luxurious" (not the exact word I want, but nevermind). For instance, last year I lived in halls with six other girls, none of them were exactly struggling and many of them lived suspiciously locally (and I mean less than ten minutes away). I can understand people wanting to live in halls due to the social aspect, but really if I'd lived in the same town as the Uni I went to, I probably wouldn't have moved out in my first year. Anyway, it's just seen as something they can heap onto the growing debt they have awaiting at graduation, and forget about now. Four of out six of them have their parents come every weekend and take them grocery shopping, usually at Marks and Spencers...of course this is a case of "lucky them", but I think they do miss out on a lot of the practical aspects of having to budget money, plan meals etc. I know, I know, I sound like a boring old fart.

On top of this, they do go out every single night. I'm not exagerrating, and I'm not even really criticising, because last year I went out at least 5 nights a week for the first six months. I didn't go out when I didn't have a penny to spare though, as they do...they borrow money from each other, from me, from their parents, have their overdrafts increased regularly (when they're allowed). Obviously they live within their means (most of the time, anyway!) and since there's more expendable income available to them (and usually income they don't have to work for), they spend more...convieniently forgetting that it all adds up and is repayable, I assume.

I don't know what my point is, I'm just rambling, and I'm not implying that I'm the thriftiest person ever, just that I have a bit more financial awareness I think. It's definitely something that's encouraged by the fact that most peoples' parents seem to subsidise them on top of their loan, so they don't have to worry about blowing it all on tequila and kebabs in the first two weeks.

As for the things people have when they come to Uni, it probably is unnecessary. I have a computer, a (crap) TV and a CD Player. One girl I lived with last year had a PC, laptop, TV, Video, DVD Player, CD Player, Playstation. It was a bit crazy, and it kind of boggled my mind not only that she had/had bought this stuff, but that it was felt necessary to exist. I suppose, who am I to bitch...it wasn't my room that was constantly running a dance mat :p

To try and summarise my very random feelings, I do think that the student life is for many a life of ease...and much of that comes from parents rewarding their little cherub for getting into Higher Education etc etc. And also from the dreaded credit cards, which I don't think should be being given the hard sell at Fresher's fairs and town centres etc. Of course there are still a lot of people who just keep their head above water, who have to budget every penny and stay in some nights doing nowt...sad as that sounds, I know who I actually feel sorrier for in the long-run.

(Sorry for making this essentially a post about student debt...is a topic close to my heart at the moment ;) )
  • Options
    That is not my experience at all, nor most of the students I know.

This information was given out by an insurance group. Most people I know don't even have the money to BUY insurance.
  • Options
    Students have always blown their cash without thought especially in their first year, hardly new or even news.
  • Options
    Tsk.

Tax dodgers.

:p