Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Firefox question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im just trying to sign up to internet banking with my bank, i clicked on the online browser checker and it came up telling me i was using Netscape Navigator 5.0 ... even though im on Firefox, Now as far as i was aware firefox was totally differant, nothign to do with netscape and its architecture was also very differant ( ie the build and style and use and everything else )

I was just curious really, are they connected in some way

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Not a clue, but I often get told that Im using IE6, when im using AOL. =\
  • Options
    Yes, Firefox and Mozilla (which I'm using) uses a lot of the Netscape code. I'm not exactly sure on its history but it was along the lines of AOL buying Netscape in 2001 and then it became open source to give the Mozilla debut in 2002.

I use Alliance & Leicester banking with Mozilla no probs. I'm told that some online banks require Active X which only IE uses. Personally, I've done without Active X for over 2 years now with Mozilla being my fulltime browser.

IE is good for local picture-viewing in full screen though.
  • Options
    i took the url and put it in ie and the link i had worked fine ( when trying to use it in firefox the link wouldnt work )
  • Options
    Some banks you can only use IE "for security reasons".

Which makes me laugh.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Netscape 5 never got released, it went from 4.7 to 6. Maybe Mozilla and such were based on the unreleased version 5? But, Netscape 6 and 7 say they're using the Mozilla engine...
  • Options
    surely it doesnt matter on any form of code on which the browser is made, but on what data it sends to a web server