Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Christmas alone...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know it may seem a little early to be worrying about christmas but I've just found out that I'll be spending the majority of christmas day alone because my mum has to work. It's a pretty depressing thought and I don't think my mum's that happy about it either. I was wondering whether anyone has ever done this and what it was like?

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    It's september, the 29th, that gives you nearly 3 months for the circumstances to change

yes it is way to early

The fact my mum has to work on christmas day won't change.
  • Options
    That's quite shit.

Where will the bf be?
  • Options
    Just do christmas another day?
  • Options
    He'll be being looked after by her majesty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    He'll be being looked after by her majesty.

Oh.

Just do Christmas another day. Christmas is overrated anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crazyredeyes
    Just do christmas another day?

That's a good idea but would probably have to be christmas eve which will be weird, I'm sure I'll get over it. She'll be working boxing day and new years. :( crap really.
  • Options
    for me, "christmas" is just another time of year, hyped up bull so it is but i can feel for you in some sort of way, ah well, shit happens.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Oh.

It is indeed overrated but you can't really avoid it and for the people that are alone on christmas day, it just makes it more lonely when it's staring you in the face everywhere you look.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    for me, "christmas" is just another time of year, hyped up bull so it is but i can feel for you in some sort of way, ah well, shit happens.

It is for me.

I hate the saccharine ideal of Christmas, because it's so flase and so crap. It's no wonder that suicide rates go through the roof at Christmas, and New Year is the worst day for suicide.
  • Options
    It is indeed overrated but you can't really avoid it and for the people that are alone on christmas day, it just makes it more lonely when it's staring you in the face everywhere you look.

Do you have any other family or friends to visit?

Do you work, and could you do a Christmas Day shift? The money would be awesome.

I think t'missus will be working Christmas Day, she works for NHS Direct and can't book any Christmas time off.
  • Options
    It is for me.

I hate the saccharine ideal of Christmas, because it's so flase and so crap. It's no wonder that suicide rates go through the roof at Christmas, and New Year is the worst day for suicide.

Doesn't surprise me, like I said, for the people who are alone, you can't avoid the hype.
  • Options
    Do you have any other family or friends to visit?

Do you work, and could you do a Christmas Day shift? The money would be awesome.

I think t'missus will be working Christmas Day, she works for NHS Direct and can't book any Christmas time off.

The only other family I really have that I could go to at christmas would be my brother but he'll be too far away. As for friends, I'd feel like an imposter. I suppose I could try and get a job in time for christmas and see if I can work christmas day lol.
  • Options
    Places are crying out for Chriostmas Day staff, because people don't wanna work it for some reason.

I know what yuou mean about being an imposter, but if you ahve a close mate mention how you'll be alone on Christmas Day and see what they do:)
  • Options
    Places are crying out for Chriostmas Day staff, because people don't wanna work it for some reason.

I know what yuou mean about being an imposter, but if you ahve a close mate mention how you'll be alone on Christmas Day and see what they do:)

I have a close mate who'll probably be spending christmas with her boyfriends family so that wouldn't work, that's if she isn't giving birth :D her due date it 25th dec.
  • Options
    My dad's grandma died one day before christmas eve... I had to spend the day alone with him (I hate him, just in case), so my mom could see her for the last time... It seems diferent, but I'm telling you... 1 day with my father is rather worse than 1 day alone... anyway... you can take care of yourself, do that things you never have time for... I mean... act like it is a regular day... what is to be special is the eve ;)
  • Options
    im tempted to spend xmas with one of my housemates cause she really doesnt want to spend it with family, either that or get her over my families place
  • Options
    I've spent two or three christmas alone and it was great. Peace and quiet and no hassle of having to be dragged out of bed with a wapping great hangover :D I went and joined my landlord & landlady for a couple of hours for christmas lunch and then headed to the pub later on with mates. Being alone doesn't bother me. *shrugs* If your mums only working some of christmas day what's the big worry? I'm not being offensive it's just hard for me to understand as i've never really done the "family" christmas thing anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm working, so is my mum. So at least we'll be spending Xmas together.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh.

Well she can't be working for the entire 24 hours. And as Kermit said, Christmas is over rated.

Just make up for it when she gets home and have a nice dinner. Phone some mates to say hello and wish them well... watch mary Poppins because it's on pretty much every year... as well as ET.
  • Options
    Re: Christmas alone...
    I've just found out that I'll be spending the majority of Christmas Day alone because my mum has to work. It's a pretty depressing thought and I don't think my mum's that happy about it either.

I have spent Christmas Day every year with my family - and I hate it. The same old jokes in the crackers, the same old bloody rubbish on the telly, the endless farting after the dinner, the vulgarity and extravagance of the day... I can't stand it. Last year, I felt more alone than ever. Frankly, I'd rather spend Christmas with anyone other than my family for a year. If I had some friends, I'd go off and spend the day with them.
  • Options
    i find it sad that people tend to be of a very 'bah humbug' attitude! I love xmas, last year i had to spend it with bf's fammily and i didnt enjoy it half as much as with my own family. I feel for you, i'd hate it too xx
  • Options
    As long as I get my Fanny Craddock stuffing and Christmas Pudding, I really don't give a shit what happens at Christmas. You could park me in a box and give me two plates with my foods on and i'd be laughing...

ETA - oh, and give me a SATB carol book too, I couldn't live without a good carol or two...