Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

FAO Dual Nationals (but relevant to others too)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you had to select one of your nationalities, which would you select and why?

For other people, if you had the choice of where you could live in terms of which country, where would you select and why?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd like to retire in Spain. Sorry chaps, cannot be beaten :p

There are a few other countries I would not mind living in... most of the European nations, India, perhaps OZ and NZ.

As for nationality, I've only got one passport but I'm not really too concerned. I know where I'm from and where my roots are, but I'd be just as happy describing myself as a citizen of the world (or failing that, European) as a Spaniard.
    Personally, I couldn't pick. USA? Canada? Australia? New Zealand? Italy? The options go on and on.

I would be very sorry to leave a couple of things behind. Question Time primarily. Magic FM too. I don't know whether you can get broadcasts of the Last Night of the Proms or other major British events elsewhere, but those are very important to me.
    I couldn't possibly decide, to be quite honest. I would probably keep my UK passport, because I have lived in this country for most of my life and because of the benefits of having an EU passport, but then again when H*w*rd is voted out in Oz it will become a great country once again.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I couldn't possibly decide, to be quite honest. I would probably keep my UK passport, because I have lived in this country for most of my life, but then again when H*w*rd is voted out in Oz it will become a great country once again.

What happens when Howard leaves? Latham brings up the republic issue again. God, i'm dreading the election this year. No more Commonwealth of Australia perhaps. What are the alternatives though? Mr. put tafe fees up by 500%, make it harder to go to university if you're poor, scrap medicare...

I know loads of Australians who actually enjoy it over here because of the weather...
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    Latham brings up the republic issue again.

I don't think the republicans will ever get it passed, because most Aussies don't seem to trust politicians enough to run a republic. I know I wouldn't, what with H*w*rd and K**t*ng (*spit*) before him.

I know loads of Australians who actually enjoy it over here because of the weather...

And the plentiful bar work?;)

I like Melbourne because of the weather, but even there it is Too Damn Hot in summer. I can't be doing with 40C+ heat, it's too much. Even the flies just roll over and quietly gasp...
    Would keep my Danish citizenship. Why? Because that it's safer and has the advantage of the EU.
    What good is Ghanaian nationality? I only have it because of the passport and because it was forced upon me.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I don't think the republicans will ever get it passed, because most Aussies don't seem to trust politicians enough to run a republic. I know I wouldn't, what with H*w*rd and K**t*ng (*spit*) before him.

And the plentiful bar work?;)

I like Melbourne because of the weather, but even there it is Too Damn Hot in summer. I can't be doing with 40C+ heat, it's too much. Even the flies just roll over and quietly gasp...

Plus, what would the Aussies do with the Royal Australian Navy, the RAAF, the Royal Flying Doctor Service, would they appoint a president, would they end up referring to 'mateship' in the preamble to the constitution... I bet it'd cost millions to become a republic, just for the freedom to call yourself a republic rather than having a purely ceremonial tie with a foreign country that really rather likes them and barely ever interferes in their business.

Keating was disgusting. How dare he touch the Queen. In fact, his only use was for insulting people. Bit like Prince Philip in that respect.

I remember my father spent a day in the sun at Port Douglas in the winter with factor 30 cream on, got on the dive boat the next day (i'm very into scuba, my dad tags along) and his sunburn was so bad the bloke said 'crikey mate, you look like you've run through Chernobyl!'
    Plus, what would the Aussies do with the Royal Australian Navy, the RAAF, the Royal Flying Doctor Service, would they appoint a president, would they end up referring to 'mateship' in the preamble to the constitution... I bet it'd cost millions to become a republic, just for the freedom to call yourself a republic rather than having a purely ceremonial tie with a foreign country that really rather likes them and barely ever interferes in their business.

It was the Constitution and who elected the President that sank the Republican vote last time, and I don't see it changing- Howard should have been shot for his waffle about "mateship". Twunt.

In fact, his only use was for insulting people.

But he was awfully good at it.

I remember my father spent a day in the sun at Port Douglas in the winter with factor 30 cream on, got on the dive boat the next day (i'm very into scuba, my dad tags along) and his sunburn was so bad the bloke said 'crikey mate, you look like you've run through Chernobyl!'

He should be more careful then, that Queensland sun packs a bite. Not as much a bite as the local mind, who make Norfolk look normal:p
    Personally, I couldn't pick. USA? Canada? Australia? New Zealand? Italy? The options go on and on.

I would be very sorry to leave a couple of things behind. Question Time primarily. Magic FM too. I don't know whether you can get broadcasts of the Last Night of the Proms or other major British events elsewhere, but those are very important to me.
    If you mention that fucking Magic FM again, Im gunna cut it out, nail it to a frisbe and fling it over a rainbow!
    I was born in Hong Kong pre-handover so I am 100% British. I wouldn't mind going back there to live or spend an extended period of time. Even though I barely remember it I do feel a certain "connection" with the place if you know what I mean.

If I could live anywhere else it would probably be Canada. A mature version of the US.

Cuba, the North Eastern US, Germany and Ireland also interest me.
    I think I'd like to try living in Canada, perhaps China or Japan and somewhere in mainland Europe as well.
    a little off topic but is there any limit on how many nationalities you can have? i was born in india and my father's english so i have dual nationality but my mother's german so in theory i could have 3 passports?.........
    You're probably only allowed two, on the basis of your parents and place of birth.
    I’m glad a caprice of a god that rules my fate has thrown me to Aotearoa. An excellent country in all respects. Amazingly beautiful… if you never been here you at least watched The Lord of The Rings so you can imagine what it is. And being a wealthy civilised western country it is also … how to say…provincial. In a good meaning of the word. Just a huge village where people are simple and friendly.
    To choose a nationality? What a strange idea… do you mean a race, ethnicy so on? Hmm… if I wasn’t satisfied who I am I’d want to be a guy of that eastern-northern part of Africa, you know, Somalia and Ethiopia. I think they are really cute. My personal taste though