Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A sign of the times we live in?

"SHAMEFUL BRITAIN"

"Security cameras have captured scores of drivers ignoring a woman laying injured by the side of the road.

The shameful scenes show a series of cars passing by the woman as she lay face down."

Full story

Were all the people who drove past just selfish, heartless people? Or is it a sign of the times now that people believe it might be all a trick to get them to stop so they can be robbed/attacked?

Or perhaps the sign of our times is that we've become all selfish and don't care any more for our fellow man (or woman).

Would you have stopped?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw that and felt sick too, I am almost sure i would stop, or at least alert the police to it, especially it being a fellow woman.

But i have been in a lot of situations similar and it is hard to know what to do, I was in Brixton once, at about 4am, and this girl can up to me crying, claming she had been raped and attacked, and needed money to get home, I offered to help get to the police station, but she said she had already been there and they sent her home with nothing. I didn't have much on me anyway, so i didn't give her anything as it really didn't she genuine, but sometimes i think what if it was. :(

The worst thing i faced was when a gang of rude boys beat up this one guy on a tram in Croydon, no one did anything although the tram was very full with men and women, when the gang ran off, the guy just sat there shaking and bleeding and got off at the next stop, i asked if he was ok on the journey, he just nodded.

I am too scared to help sometimes, not because i don't care, but because i know no one will back me up.
  • Options
    Truly shameful. :(

Is it because when we see people lying face down on movies they always turn round and stab the Good Samaritan? I'm thinking of Silence of the Lambs and Terminator 2, but there are plenty of others.
  • Options
    Ive seen situations where have stopped immediately and called the police, other times have seen stuff been unable to stop but phoned the police maybe because it was dark and I was alone..........but i did get help.

I think people dont stop because they dont care, its more that they are afraid for their own safety. You just never know if its a set up......we just dont trust people no more.
  • Options
    I do usually help, although I got beat up once for stopping some bloke hit a woman in a pub a few years ago. But I usually do help.
    Although there are some scammers, there is a (crusty looking) woman in Brixton who begs money by pretending she's been attacked. She's quite convincing, but I can't believe she gets attacked every week, although she is obviously very desperate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I do usually help, although I got beat up once for stopping some bloke hit a woman in a pub a few years ago. But I usually do help.
    Although there are some scammers, there is a (crusty looking) woman in Brixton who begs money by pretending she's been attacked. She's quite convincing, but I can't believe she gets attacked every week, although she is obviously very desperate.

I hope that was the same woman who came up to me, then i can stop wondering.
  • Options
  • Options
    I would stop

several years ago when i was driving home on a country road late one night and came round the corner and swerved round what looked like log. on stopping it was a pair of legs. So we woke him up and told him there was probably a better place to sleep, he stunk of alcohol but was in such a state we put him the car and drove him home - meant going about 3 mils out of are way, but, if you can't stop and help someone then its a pretty sad state of affairs
  • Options
    I'm not sure I would stop for a drunk that was passed out of the pavement but this girl looked as if she had been knocked down.
    Shame on those drivers!
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Shame on those drivers!
    So it turns out that the CCTV actually came from a bus whose driver had stopped to call for help.

If one driver had already stopped, what would be the point of others stopping?

If the road had come to a standstill we'd be accusing them of rubbernecking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    So it turns out that the CCTV actually came from a bus whose driver had stopped to call for help.

If one driver had already stopped, what would be the point of others stopping?

If the road had come to a standstill we'd be accusing them of rubbernecking.

A good reminder that we should know all the facts before making judgement.
  • Options
    The whole thing is a well documented display of how humans react to events.

People on the whole will ignore serious events like this. There are a whole host of reasons for it, varying from fear of being hurt to the idea that someone else will.

It's quite common that once one person joins into help a load of other people will as well, and apparently it's quite normal.
    Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the study, but it was done on a subway train in the USA for those who do pyschology.
  • Options
    the biblical story of the goo samaritan comes to mind.
  • Options
  • Options
    It may have been given a similar but more scientific sounding name.
    The study was prompted when a woman was viciously attacked and raped in New York, most of the attack was in full view of hundreds of people but noone lifted a finger.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    It may have been given a similar but more scientific sounding name.
    The study was prompted when a woman was viciously attacked and raped in New York, most of the attack was in full view of hundreds of people but noone lifted a finger.

Kitty Genivive? She was attacked outside a block of flats...

And I remember the attack on a train too. I think maybe people assume somebody else is going to jump in and play superman.