Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

birthday confusion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay quick rundown.

It was my birthday a week or so ago and i've just sat down today and realised my two best mates managed to buy my sweet fuck all. Now usually it wouldn't worry me but it's one of their birthdays coming up and i'm at the point where i don't know whether to be a bitch and reciprocate the favour or just rise above it and buy her something.

The other one pissed me off as i'm the mug that paid £40 for her 21st b'day stripper.

Usually it wouldn't bother me and i'd get her something as i'm probably too generous/well mannered to not get somebody something on their birthday. But considering she said to me a day or so before the meal "the birthday girl doesn't have to pay for dinner so don't worry about it, we'll pay" and then on the night pays her share and wanders off. Luckily i'd taken money with me. But i think the thing that really got my goat was when she sat at the table going on about how commercial birthday and christmas cards are and how she doesn't see the point in them etc. I just sat rather gobsmacked when listening to this as this is the first time i've heard her say that load of bollocks! So i believe this is her excuse for not getting even a card.

I'm sort of stuck as i see it as pretty immature and tight not to get her something but then i'm still rather adverse to spending the money on someone who obviously doesn't give too much of a shit about me.

Comments

• Options
    Re: birthday confusion
    Originally posted by Carolina

But i think the thing that really got my goat was when she sat at the table going on about how commercial birthday and christmas cards are and how she doesn't see the point in them etc. I just sat rather gobsmacked when listening to this as this is the first time i've heard her say that load of bollocks! So i believe this is her excuse for not getting even a card.

Ok, personally i wouldn't bother getting her anything. And if she confronts you and asks why, just say you were shocked about her views on birthdays being too commercial and didnt want to disrespect her views by buying her something... ha! :D

Does anyone else agree with me? or am i being a bit harsh??
  • Options
    hhhmm, tough one! maybe you could buy her a little pressie, so you arent sinking to her level. i reckon a birthday card about being tight with money would go down a treat :yes: :lol: he he!
    Its up to you, how close are you to these 2 girls - bcos in my view, best mates should buy each other pressies at bdays!
    i agree with you about her saying all that crap about bdays being commercial - if she's never mentioned that before then its probably just her trying to get out of it :yes:
    SBG
  • Options
    Re: Re: birthday confusion
    Originally posted by w3lsh_princ3ss
    Ok, personally i wouldn't bother getting her anything. And if she confronts you and asks why, just say you were shocked about her views on birthdays being too commercial and didnt want to disrespect her views by buying her something... ha! :D

Does anyone else agree with me? or am i being a bit harsh??

Actually I DO agree with you. Friendships are supposed to involve give and take. In fact, if she confronts you and asks why I'd say she'd got a bloody nerve.
  • Options
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl

Its up to you, how close are you to these 2 girls

Closest friends i have. I'm not slagging them off as friends because they really have been there for me over the last week when i've had a few problems and they've sat and listened and rallied round. I really don't think either of them realised that it would piss me off as i'm pretty easy going about things, but i think that's why my nose is slightly out of joint as i can imagine it's a case of "good old caroline, she won't be too bothered if i go and spend my money on ...... instead". :) If they'd have turned round honestly and said sorry mate, we're skint etc. then i'd have understood. It was just the shifty way they both avoided the issue.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Unfortunately not no, one of them helped tell everyone about the meal and the other one reminded her mate (who bought me flowers even though she doesn't know me too well).

Ach well it'll just teach me next time not to be flash with the cash on a birthday ;)
  • Options
    Re: birthday confusion
    Originally posted by Carolina
    Okay quick rundown.

It was my birthday a week or so ago and i've just sat down today and realised my two best mates managed to buy my sweet fuck all. Now usually it wouldn't worry me but it's one of their birthdays coming up and i'm at the point where i don't know whether to be a bitch and reciprocate the favour or just rise above it and buy her something.

The other one pissed me off as i'm the mug that paid £40 for her 21st b'day stripper.

Usually it wouldn't bother me and i'd get her something as i'm probably too generous/well mannered to not get somebody something on their birthday. But considering she said to me a day or so before the meal "the birthday girl doesn't have to pay for dinner so don't worry about it, we'll pay" and then on the night pays her share and wanders off. Luckily i'd taken money with me. But i think the thing that really got my goat was when she sat at the table going on about how commercial birthday and christmas cards are and how she doesn't see the point in them etc. I just sat rather gobsmacked when listening to this as this is the first time i've heard her say that load of bollocks! So i believe this is her excuse for not getting even a card.

I'm sort of stuck as i see it as pretty immature and tight not to get her something but then i'm still rather adverse to spending the money on someone who obviously doesn't give too much of a shit about me.
    Do you know where the term "got my goat" comes from? sorry off topic I know.
    You can either buy her something and take the superior high ground knowing that your the better friend, or you could buy her nothing and expect nothing for xmas and your birthday next year.
  • Options
    Re: Re: birthday confusion
    Originally posted by Jinx
    Do you know where the term "got my goat" comes from? sorry off topic I know.
    You can either buy her something and take the superior high ground knowing that your the better friend, or you could buy her nothing and expect nothing for xmas and your birthday next year.

I know the term not it's origin and i'm now trying to work out whether that had a hidden message or not. :)

But yes you're quite correct, it would start a chain reaction if i didn't get her anything so i believe i will just get a small present for her and leave it at that.